The End of Football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The End of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't make a better helmet, take them all away. Get rid of all the replay.

Reaction Score
Testing-football-helmets-1912-small.jpg

That's from about 104 years ago. Ever watch the movie, "Running Man"?

FWIW, I've been in a bunch of accidents, even hit by a truck and had internal bleeding in my head that had to be operated on. Nice long scar still there 29 years later. No wise person acts as if they are going to live here forever. Aging is more dangerous than football. Let's ban aging.

Sportsmanship is moreso the real issue. People actually trying to injure others.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Don't make a better helmet, take them all away. Get rid of all the replay.
Again, check the concussion problems in modern rugby. Your argument is both a specious and dangerous meme. And perhaps because hockey concussions aren't too far behind football, according to your argument let's remove helmets from that sport as well.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Play without helmets.

A few colleges - I believe UNH is one of them - practice without helmets, even in tackling drills. The theory is that the players learn of necessity how to tackle properly without leading with their heads. From the accounts I've heard, it has been making a positive difference.

By no means am I suggesting this is an answer for the NFL or even Division 1 college ball. But it does reflect that some of the game's adherents, i.e., football coaches themselves, are recognizing there is a long term problem that needs to be addressed.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on it. They made a movie about it and in it's entire run it made less than opening weekend of Kung Panda 3.

The NFL is not going anywhere. In fact, once they sort out the concussion problem at the lower levels, where most of the real damage is done, the NFL will be better off for it.

Whether or not kids play football when they're young, in HS, college, whatever, the NFL is still going to need 53 players per team.

That's why Ed Nelson, who played a year on the men's hoops team and never played a down of football in his life, was signed by the Rams.

And Nelson was not particularly athletic, either. It's pretty likely that as HS and pee wee football players shrink in numbers, that college and pro teams will start using athletes that didn't play football at the previous level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom