The "Discuss our seeding and path to the Final Four" Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The "Discuss our seeding and path to the Final Four" Thread

Reaction Score
Kansas should be the #2 overall seed, not #4. Texas is their Kryptonite. So our path isn't all that easy. I think St. Mary's is a weak 5, and a good matchup for UConn, so that part is fine. But I'd rather face Houston or Purdue than KU. IU has the easiest path of the #4s. Tennessee's is tough because of Duke as a #5. UVA has a weak #5 is San Diego State (and may well play Charleston), but then Bama.
Meh. I don't know. It all depends on how injured Sasser is. Kansas had a ton of good wins, but they've gotten beat pretty badly 4 times and I think that matters.

I'd probably rather play Kansas in Vegas than pretty much anyone other than Purdue in MSG. But to get to MSG as the 4, you'd have to go through Duke. No path is easy, but give me a 1 with that's gotten blown out 4 times (and sadly whose coach just had some health issues), a 2 with major injuries, a paper-tiger 5, and a 13 from the MAAC. Get to Vegas and they are as good—or better—than anyone there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh. I don't know. It all depends on how injured Sasser is. Kansas had a ton of good wins, but they've gotten beat pretty badly 4 times and I think that matters.

I'd probably rather play Kansas in Vegas than pretty much anyone other than Purdue in MSG. But to get to MSG as the 4, you'd have to go through Duke. No path is easy, but give me a 1 with that's gotten blown out 4 times (and sadly whose coach just had some health issues), a 2 with major injuries, a paper-tiger 5, and a 13 from the MAAC. Get to Vegas and they are as good—or better—than anyone there.
We could also well be playing Arkansas in the sweet 16. A lot of the lower seeds in this region are good, but that could mean some upsets and possibly easier games if we make it that far.

Reaction Score
Interesting chart. If we meet up with Kansas, would their offensive preferences play to our favor (if you assume we struggle a bit on perimeter defense and we can defend the paint/mid-range well)? Does anyone have charts on our defensive effectiveness like these offensive charts?

Reaction Score
Interesting chart. If we meet up with Kansas, would their offensive preferences play to our favor (if you assume we struggle a bit on perimeter defense and we can defend the paint/mid-range well)? Does anyone have charts on our defensive effectiveness like these offensive charts?

Don't have it in chart form, but KenPom has us as 15th in the country at defending the 3 and 26th in 2 point FG%

Reaction Score

Kansas has a tough time with longer, physical teams that deny key spots on the floor and rebound well. Lost to Iowa St., Tennessee, Texas most notably. That's why I think UCONN matches up favorably with them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW, here's my bracket.

If UConn/Houston were on opposite ends, I would have put these two teams in my final.

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 11.29.53 AM.png

I spent a ton of time researching, but once the brackets are out, I complete it pretty quickly along with a ton of bias/rooting interest.

Feel free to shoot me any questions/explanations/PMs of why certain choices.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard never amazes me. I feel like most of you worried about our road to the National Championship are using the failures of the last two Tournaments to leave you feeling that way. If we had won the Big East Tournament and the bracket came out with the same path to the Final Four and beyond, y'all would be feeling like we could beat anyone.

The amount of comments with "I hope Kansas loses" are comical. Isn't Kansas considered more of a blue blood than us? Don't you want to beat those teams along the way to prove you are every bit as much of a blue blood as them? Plus, we owe Kansas. They beat us in the second round last time we made it that far. Let's get through Iona, VCU/SMU and return the favor in the Sweet 16.

There is not one team UConn can't beat. Not one. This team thrives on Tournaments. We probably won't face as good of a defense like we did against Marquette in this Tournament - a game we should have won. Wouldn't it be something if us, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier made it to Houston?

Reaction Score
FWIW, here's my bracket.

If UConn/Houston were on opposite ends, I would have put these two teams in my final.

View attachment 85056

I spent a ton of time researching, but once the brackets are out, I complete it pretty quickly along with a ton of bias/rooting interest.

Feel free to shoot me any questions/explanations/PMs of why certain choices.
Houston question for you.. If Sasser is not at 100% and/or can't play due to his recent injury..Do you still like Houston's chances?

Reaction Score
Houston question for you.. If Sasser is not at 100% and/or can't play due to his recent injury..Do you still like Houston's chances?
His groin injury was listed as "probable to return" before his status changed before halftime.

NKU is an easy team to play and they can win v Iowa/Auburn without him, if need be.

My prediction: he gets limited PT against NKU (15-20 mins) and then gets full run in the 8/9 game.

Reaction Score
Worried about VCU because they are a wildcard team that will play fast and they can shoot the 3 well (Nunn, Shriver, Ace Baldwin) . Not worried about St. Mary's (limited athletically and we could dictate the play in the halfcourt), Illinois (lost PG) & Arkansas (Musselman has little control of the team, they play reckless. arkansas is a more cereberal St. Johns. Their young stars Smith, Black, Council will make bad decisions). Think we can handle UCLA and Kansas. Andre could be the eraser on Jaquez. Bad matchup for UCLA. Gonzaga is intriquing. They could theoretically beat us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kansas should be the #2 overall seed, not #4. Texas is their Kryptonite. So our path isn't all that easy. I think St. Mary's is a weak 5, and a good matchup for UConn, so that part is fine. But I'd rather face Houston or Purdue than KU. IU has the easiest path of the #4s. Tennessee's is tough because of Duke as a #5. UVA has a weak #5 is San Diego State (and may well play Charleston), but then Bama.

Did the selection committee get enamoured by IU's win over Purdue? Because they look like typical middling Big Ten weak sauce in general when I've watched them. Especially vs. PSU.

Reaction Score
Within 30 seconds of losing on Friday I thought to myself, we're gonna see them again. I'm going with it......survive and advance baby.

Key.....I think Newton will average at least 8 ppg from the free throw line this tournament.

Thanks for all the other BY analysis, very entertaining.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard never amazes me. I feel like most of you worried about our road to the National Championship are using the failures of the last two Tournaments to leave you feeling that way. If we had won the Big East Tournament and the bracket came out with the same path to the Final Four and beyond, y'all would be feeling like we could beat anyone.

The amount of comments with "I hope Kansas loses" are comical. Isn't Kansas considered more of a blue blood than us? Don't you want to beat those teams along the way to prove you are every bit as much of a blue blood as them? Plus, we owe Kansas. They beat us in the second round last time we made it that far. Let's get through Iona, VCU/SMU and return the favor in the Sweet 16.

There is not one team UConn can't beat. Not one. This team thrives on Tournaments. We probably won't face as good of a defense like we did against Marquette in this Tournament - a game we should have won. Wouldn't it be something if us, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier made it to Houston?
I'd love it if the BE invaded the "P5" party and toppled the mainstream media bias.

Reaction Score
Kansas has a tough time with longer, physical teams that deny key spots on the floor and rebound well. Lost to Iowa St., Tennessee, Texas most notably. That's why I think UCONN matches up favorably with them.
Kansas lost twice to both Texas and Iowa State in the past 5 weeks. Gotta be a lot of staff energy watching tape of those games if/when we match up against Kansas.

Reaction Score

Cool beans, but first UConn has to get to the Sweet 16. I think they will, but this first game is no slam dunk, but they have some key areas where they can exploit Iona. One of them being offensive rebounding as Iona is not good at defensive rebounding.

Reaction Score
Danny will be in the HOF at some point. Our talent level improves starting next year. Then we can judge him. I think this team plays better as an underdog.
You really think u need to get to year 6?? Seems like you might agree with my prior posts that DH needs to have the best talent…won’t outcoach his opponent

Reaction Score
Yeah Crazy as the Smart People are higher than the Boneyard on UCONN . LOL
Weren’t there a few ‘smart people’ picking UConn as a dark horse last year?

Reaction Score
NY Post has us losing to VCU. VCU is a popular pick among the basketball community. They are a mercurial team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom