The dilemma of the Big East and the dance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The dilemma of the Big East and the dance

Reaction Score
It would be nice if the big east allowed the schools to keep all the ncca credits they earned.. a school like UConn can make some good money

Reaction Score
There seems to be a consensus among the bracketologists that it is 6 as of 1/23. Nova, Hall, STJ being the non-locks. All three coming in as 8 seeds.

Prov is not too far out of the field (but trending down) while Butler's resume is very clean. If Butler can get a few Q1 wins they have a strong shot (probably better than Prov).

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

For the love of god though, don't listen to anything Lunardi says. He's historically very bad at Bracketology compared to the majority of the bracketologists on Bracketmatrix.

Reaction Score
A quick dose of reality:

None of the other BE schools have any concern for us beyond the money and prestige we can add to the conference.

Our outlook should be that regardless of whether the conference sends as many schools to the dance as it did in 2011 or if it ends up as an eastern version of the WCC where we are the conference's Gonzaga (with a number of titles) and only one, occasionally two other schools make the dance, as long as we're doing what we should be doing all is good.
The difference between us and Gonzaga is that I think our conference is looked at as a positive in recruiting where the out of conference slate is really what’s attractive to recruits for Gonzaga. As long as we are here I think the healthier the league the better for us.

Reaction Score
Ask the mighty Duke and Kansas if all those teams you listed are punching bags. Or just maybe, sometimes the bag punches back.....
Duke reinforces my belief that they are punching bags.

I know people want more teams in the dance. More teams in means more money but it also means UConn would likely have to lose a few resulting in perhaps a lower seed. I'll take as high a seed as possible, money be damned.

Reaction Score
UConn
Marquette
Creighton
Are locks

Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Villanova
Xavier
Are fighting for 2 spots
Villanova could've easily been a lock if they finish with an above average Big East record to go along with their title in the Battle 4 Atlantis which included a victory over North Carolina and a blowout of Memphis. I say "could've" because they really screwed themselves with losing all 3 games to the Philly teams within the Big 5.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Of course bids matter

Long hanging fruit, tournament revenues

Bigger picture, next television contract

Last but not least important, recruiting

Reaction Score
I thought you were all about $$$

More bids equals more money for UConn. Why not care?
I’m about long term permanent payments, not one shot deals that are unpredictable from year to year and in any event are a pittance in comparison to what major conferences get. Just as an example, Notre Dame gets about double what NEWBIE teams get in rights fees from the ACC. NCAA units and such come on top. We get $5.5 or there about. We are better off getting 8 teams in the play in than 4 in the Final Four. Getting to the Final Four does not earn units. The play in does. If all you care about is money you want bubble teams and an upset conference champ. Of course that’s impossible. But if we get 5 teams in and 2 get to the Elite 8, a pretty good performance, that gets us roughly 1.9 million/team. So we are only roughly 3 million behind the the ACC payment to ND before any ACC units get distributed. So I suppose it’s better to have more teams. But it isn’t anything great and they need to make deep runs. In summary I want UConn to win. I have zero interest in what any other NOOB does. Yeah, more gets us a few more bucks but it’s not enough or regular enough to make a difference or to make me care. Except about DePaul. Explain to me why a program that has not made the tournament as a member of the Big East or the New Big East deserves anything at this point.

Reaction Score
This is where having only 11 makes it difficult. There are only so many wins to go around so it's good to have a handful of teams to take the losses.

True, but it also means we only have to share the NCAA tourney credits 11 ways.

Any year when we can get over 50% of the teams into the tourney is a great year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A quick dose of reality:

None of the other BE schools have any concern for us beyond the money and prestige we can add to the conference.

Our outlook should be that regardless of whether the conference sends as many schools to the dance as it did in 2011 or if it ends up as an eastern version of the WCC where we are the conference's Gonzaga (with a number of titles) and only one, occasionally two other schools make the dance, as long as we're doing what we should be doing all is good.
A good conference reputation helps us. Probably not as much as it helps them, but it still does. I am inclined to root for other Big East programs, even the ones that I tend to poke fun at on the board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m about long term permanent payments, not one shot deals that are unpredictable from year to year and in any event are a pittance in comparison to what major conferences get. Just as an example, Notre Dame gets about double what NEWBIE teams get in rights fees from the ACC. NCAA units and such come on top. We get $5.5 or there about. We are better off getting 8 teams in the play in than 4 in the Final Four. Getting to the Final Four does not earn units. The play in does. If all you care about is money you want bubble teams and an upset conference champ. Of course that’s impossible. But if we get 5 teams in and 2 get to the Elite 8, a pretty good performance, that gets us roughly 1.9 million/team. So we are only roughly 3 million behind the the ACC payment to ND before any ACC units get distributed. So I suppose it’s better to have more teams. But it isn’t anything great and they need to make deep runs. In summary I want UConn to win. I have zero interest in what any other NOOB does. Yeah, more gets us a few more bucks but it’s not enough or regular enough to make a difference or to make me care. Except about DePaul. Explain to me why a program that has not made the tournament as a member of the Big East or the New Big East deserves anything at this point.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Reaction Score
should be 6. if one of hall, johns, or nova dont make it theyll be one of the first 4 out.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a good and very tough conference. The teams scout each other well and in general the games aren't easy.......BUT
lets be honest - this season the individual talent level of the players on other teams is just not as impressive as in past years. I don't see a lot of nba or borderline nba talents this season in the big east.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a good and very tough conference. The teams scout each other well and in general the games aren't easy.......BUT
lets be honest - this season the individual talent level of the players on other teams is just not as impressive as in past years. I don't see a lot of nba or borderline nba talents this season in the big east.
Just 2 years ago wasn't Tyrese the only BE player drafted. Pretty weak talent (at least for guys leaving college).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
There seems to be a consensus among the bracketologists that it is 6 as of 1/23. Nova, Hall, STJ being the non-locks. All three coming in as 8 seeds.

Prov is not too far out of the field (but trending down) while Butler's resume is very clean. If Butler can get a few Q1 wins they have a strong shot (probably better than Prov).

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

For the love of god though, don't listen to anything Lunardi says. He's historically very bad at Bracketology compared to the majority of the bracketologists on Bracketmatrix.

Historically, he's been one of the best. He usually misses maybe a couple of teams, and that's it. I think he was perfect in the very near past

Not that he has a hard job. Know the Net Rankings (or the RPI), know the pollster rankings, know what conferences teams belong in, and then know the committee members because their schools / conferences tend to get rewarded. Especially when it comes to the bubble

He's been very good at his craft, but it's not a hard craft if that's what you're paid to do

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
only will get 4 bids maybe 5 best case.

that would put the big east in a nice spot as the #2 mid major league behind the mwc who will get 6 bids.

Reaction Score
Historically, he's been one of the best. He usually misses maybe a couple of teams, and that's it. I think he was perfect in the very near past

Not that he has a hard job. Know the Net Rankings (or the RPI), know the pollster rankings, know what conferences teams belong in, and then know the committee members because their schools / conferences tend to get rewarded. Especially when it comes to the bubble

He's been very good at his craft, but it's not a hard craft if that's what you're paid to do
He hasn't been close to one of the best historically. I'd say it's common knowledge at this point.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Looking at their schedules, I have all four of Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Butler going into the BET with 19 wins. We will see if that happens but if it does, that gives the BE a legitimate chance at 7 bids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom