The Difference | The Boneyard

The Difference

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A drive stopped 1 yard short, a blocked extra point, and a blown pass interference call.

That's the difference between 4-3 and 1-6. And it sucks that we're at the latter and not the former. These are the types of games that we were picking up last year and it led to a bowl game. This year, it's leading to disaster.

I'm not saying that the immediate future looks like Alabama. But it doesn't look like "close the program down" either. Let's hope the fellas can keep their spirits up and pick up a big win next week...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
A drive stopped 1 yard short, a blocked extra point, and a blown pass interference call.

That's the difference between 4-3 and 1-6. And it sucks that we're at the latter and not the former. These are the types of games that we were picking up last year and it led to a bowl game. This year, it's leading to disaster.

I'm not saying that the immediate future looks like Alabama. But it doesn't look like "close the program down" either. Let's hope the fellas can keep their spirits up and pick up a big win next week...
I've been thinking this too. We lost three 50/50 home games at the death against comparable competition. We blew all three games IMO. We are what our record says we are, but we have been competitive in every game except Georgia State (who is way better than anybody anticipated) and Duke (also much better than most thought).

Reaction Score

We've lost games by 1pt, 3pts, 7pts, and 10pts. Literally the difference between being a winning program and a losing one is 3tds.

Its hard to see but not too long ago this was one of the worst FBS teams of all time. You can see young talent contributing and a headcoach with a clue and ability.

The downer is the OL is really good and will lose some good ones.

Reaction Score
The difference is making winning plays at winning time or making losing plays at winning time.

Yesterday, the DBs dropped INTs that would have put the game away. Those were the losing plays.

Game One, NC State, we grab the momentum with a 71 yard TD run. We make a losing play, a flip into the end zone costing 15 yards on the KO. On the KO we make another losing play allowing a long return, and a third losing play hitting after the whistle. They score. Momentum gone. We lose.

Against FIU we are driving for a tying score. We on 4th and 4 we throw a TD pass to tie the game -whoops holding- 4th and 14. Losing play. On 4th and 14, we complete a 12 yard pass. Losing play. We lose.

Against USU, we fail to protect the kicker on the extra point that would tie the game. Losing play. We lose.

Winning teams have guys stepping up and making plays in those critical moments when the game is in the balance, when the tide turns, when you can put a fork in your opponent. Until that happens they team will lose.

Two years ago we started the season losing 45-0, 38-28 (to Holy Cross), 49-0 and 52-14. We gave up over 40 points a game in our last four games. Mora has fixed that. You have to be blind or have amnesia not to see it.

The difference doesn't show up in the W/L column. But it seems like we're on the right path. Mora has put the game into the hands of the players (and unfortunately the refs). Time for the players to make plays when we need someone to make a play.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The difference is making winning plays at winning time or making losing plays at winning time.

Yesterday, the DBs dropped INTs that would have put the game away. Those were the losing plays.

Game One, NC State, we grab the momentum with a 71 yard TD run. We make a losing play, a flip into the end zone costing 15 yards on the KO. On the KO we make another losing play allowing a long return, and a third losing play hitting after the whistle. They score. Momentum gone. We lose.

Against FIU we are driving for a tying score. We on 4th and 4 we throw a TD pass to tie the game -whoops holding- 4th and 14. Losing play. On 4th and 14, we complete a 12 yard pass. Losing play. We lose.

Against USU, we fail to protect the kicker on the extra point that would tie the game. Losing play. We lose.

Winning teams have guys stepping up and making plays in those critical moments when the game is in the balance, when the tide turns, when you can put a fork in your opponent. Until that happens they team will lose.

Two years ago we started the season losing 45-0, 38-28 (to Holy Cross), 49-0 and 52-14. We gave up over 40 points a game in our last four games. Mora has fixed that. You have to be blind or have amnesia not to see it.

The difference doesn't show up in the W/L column. But it seems like we're on the right path. Mora has put the game into the hands of the players (and unfortunately the refs). Time for the players to make plays when we need someone to make a play.
Unfortunately. What annoys me is that this is a bowl team masquerading as a 3-9 or 4-8 team. That is on coaching. We have the talent.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

Cuz theirs a hole in my house where the TV went through after the blown call!! I wish I was kidding, if I was Mora you would’ve needed the state police to hold me down, funny how the officials are never held accountable

Reaction Score
Unfortunately. What annoys me is that this is a bowl team masquerading as a 3-9 or 4-8 team. That is on coaching. We have the talent.

The coaching is the best this team has had in a decade. The problem isn't coaching, it's a team that constantly shoots itself in the foot. That is the difference in close games.

I agree there is enough talent to be a bowl team. They have been in a position to win numerous games. But the talent hasn't come through in the winning moments. They don't make things happen. They let things happen to them.

There are, of course, some coaching errors. Some personnel choices. Some in game adjustments. Some lack of aggressiveness. But as I said, the team has been in a position to win numerous games. Somebody has got to make a darn play. A winning play. Someone has to hold onto the ball when it hits them in the hands. It's cold. It's windy. It's rainy. It's been a long day. It's football. If we have the talent to close, it's time to show up.

Reaction Score

That is absolutely not what is going on. We’re 1-6 because our atrocious coaching play calling and execution PUT us in those situations.

This team lacks any sort of mental physical or tactical preparedness and I fully put that on the staff. We shouldn’t be in a position where it’s a 1 point game to USU at home or a 3 point game to USF on our homecoming. This team - just like almost every other throughout the past decade - is a product of piss poor coaching and lack of investment. There is no excuse for a 2-10 season this year.

Reaction Score
We've lost games by 1pt, 3pts, 7pts, and 10pts. Literally the difference between being a winning program and a losing one is 3tds.

Its hard to see but not too long ago this was one of the worst FBS teams of all time. You can see young talent contributing and a headcoach with a clue and ability.

The downer is the OL is really good and will lose some good ones.
I think the problem is mostly play calling.
Our QB play last few games is much improved over last year. Plus our O line is solid & we have enough at the skill positions, with Joly, to put up points.

Instead we played last night like we thought 21 (with at most another field goal) was going to be enough, as long as we didn’t give USF field position & our defense didn’t give up a big play.

But with USF’s shaky defense & the way Roberson was throwing it, there was every reason to think we could’ve hung another 1 or 2 TDs on them to salt it away - if we just opened it up a little.

Reaction Score
That is absolutely not what is going on. We’re 1-6 because our atrocious coaching play calling and execution PUT us in those situations.

This team lacks any sort of mental physical or tactical preparedness and I fully put that on the staff. We shouldn’t be in a position where it’s a 1 point game to USU at home or a 3 point game to USF on our homecoming. This team - just like almost every other throughout the past decade - is a product of piss poor coaching and lack of investment. There is no excuse for a 2-10 season this year.

How about we put up some resistance against a mobile QB?

Reaction Score

We forget how bad this team was post Mora..the team was unwatchable under the last coach

Reaction Score
We forget how bad this team was post Mora..the team was unwatchable under the last coach

Yeah. We would lose this by 35 under Edsall.

Rutgers is Bowl eligible for the first time since 2014. We need to spend a few years accumulating talent and having some consistent leadership.

I hope Jim Mora is still all in. I hope that the school does everything in their power to support him and the program.

Reaction Score
I think you meant pre-Mora...and they definitely have made strides under him. Players do need to execute when the easy opportunity is there. Catching passes that hit you in the hands should be basic...and that's not coaching, that's focus! USF's receivers didn't seem to be dropping passes, so it wasn't the weather.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You'd have a better point if these losses weren't to horrible teams. What you can stay is that we are markedly better than the non-competitive teams that were losing to FCS also rans and were blown out in the first 20 minutes against middling FBS teams.

These losses are easily attributable to lack of focus and attention to detail by the players. Though it's not one play, there have been multiple WTF plays throughout these games where any one of them could have changed the outcome. Yesterday, we missed a 40yd FG, botched multiple punts, lost two fumbles including the last one close to tying FG range.

It's not talent anymore, we played our 6th string RB and he killed it. It isn't coaching with a caveat that there should be very real punishments for calling double passes.

Reaction Score
You'd have a better point if these losses weren't to horrible teams. What you can stay is that we are markedly better than the non-competitive teams that were losing to FCS also rans and were blown out in the first 20 minutes against middling FBS teams.

These losses are easily attributable to lack of focus and attention to detail by the players. Though it's not one play, there have been multiple WTF plays throughout these games where any one of them could have changed the outcome. Yesterday, we missed a 40yd FG, botched multiple punts, lost two fumbles including the last one close to tying FG range.

It's not talent anymore, we played our 6th string RB and he killed it. It isn't coaching with a caveat that there should be very real punishments for calling double passes.

You’d have a point if we actually weren’t a horrible team.

We are a horrible team in FBS. Solidly in the bottom 30 of all programs.

Reaction Score
I'm a Huskies fan first, but I love football in general. I especially love to follow teams that went from sucking to powerhouse. (Think, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, JMU, etc.) I enjoy figuring out the machinations of how those teams went from zero to hero. JMU, btw, is better than Duke this year and JMU was FCS less than two years ago. This is not just my opinion, computers systems like Massey would agree with my eye test.

There's a lot of "tear down the program" sentiments lately. That's silly because I just gave examples of teams that made it. And we have top resources for G5 levels of play and lower tiers P5 levels of play.

Another common sentiment lately is that 5-7 or 6-6 seasons with a chance of bowling is our ceiling. And people would be happy with that. While I can emphasize with that, it's also silly to me. We're so used to being bad and emotionally beat-up as fans, that we see mediocrity as the promise land. I don't know why our ceiling can't be a perennial top 25 with occasional random luck pushing us into New Year bowls.

It's not a secret that we have a lot of problems as a football team. Our record speaks to that this year. But all of those problems can be fixed in as little as a year. 2015 UCF was 0-12. Hired Scott Frost. 2016, 6-7 bowl team. Then undefeated in 2017, beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

It starts with coaching. I strongly believe that Mora is the right person for the job and I think most reasonable people with agree with me. However, I'm not convinced about some of his assistants. Coaches are the ones that recruit the players.

Speaking about players, it's not JUST about the recruiting stars and rankings. JMU has been recruiting in the 140s on 247. Their 2023 commit class is 140 exactly. It's about scheme and fit. Sure stars and talent help (a lot), but scheme, fit, and play calling are equally as important. JMU runs a more complicated, pro-style offense than we do with RPO and spread concepts that requires everyone on the field to read the defense and adjust accordingly.

I'm simplifying some things here. There's a lot of nuance being left out. But we have the bones of a good football program. There's Mora, there's the P5-level facilities, the CBS national TV contract, the partial P5 schedule every year, the 40k+ football stadium, the 5 million or so we spend on coaching, the back end infrastructure (support staff for recruiting, media, content, etc.), and more I'm not including.

I think we need to make adjustments faster if we want to get better faster. Fix the stuff or remove what isn't working faster.

Reaction Score

That’s a good analysis. I kept saying all off season, we might be a better team from scrimmage this year and not have it show up in the wins and losses. I didn’t think our record would be this bad for a moment, but Palatine’s analysis that there is overall more football talent is valid. But this team makes losing plays down the stretch repeatedly, while last year’s team made winning plays most of the time they had chances to. That’s on both players and coaches. Not one or the other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a Huskies fan first, but I love football in general. I especially love to follow teams that went from sucking to powerhouse. (Think, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, JMU, etc.) I enjoy figuring out the machinations of how those teams went from zero to hero. JMU, btw, is better than Duke this year and JMU was FCS less than two years ago. This is not just my opinion, computers systems like Massey would agree with my eye test.

There's a lot of "tear down the program" sentiments lately. That's silly because I just gave examples of teams that made it. And we have top resources for G5 levels of play and lower tiers P5 levels of play.

Another common sentiment lately is that 5-7 or 6-6 seasons with a chance of bowling is our ceiling. And people would be happy with that. While I can emphasize with that, it's also silly to me. We're so used to being bad and emotionally beat-up as fans, that we see mediocrity as the promise land. I don't know why our ceiling can't be a perennial top 25 with occasional random luck pushing us into New Year bowls.

It's not a secret that we have a lot of problems as a football team. Our record speaks to that this year. But all of those problems can be fixed in as little as a year. 2015 UCF was 0-12. Hired Scott Frost. 2016, 6-7 bowl team. Then undefeated in 2017, beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

It starts with coaching. I strongly believe that Mora is the right person for the job and I think most reasonable people with agree with me. However, I'm not convinced about some of his assistants. Coaches are the ones that recruit the players.

Speaking about players, it's not JUST about the recruiting stars and rankings. JMU has been recruiting in the 140s on 247. Their 2023 commit class is 140 exactly. It's about scheme and fit. Sure stars and talent help (a lot), but scheme, fit, and play calling are equally as important. JMU runs a more complicated, pro-style offense than we do with RPO and spread concepts that requires everyone on the field to read the defense and adjust accordingly.

I'm simplifying some things here. There's a lot of nuance being left out. But we have the bones of a good football program. There's Mora, there's the P5-level facilities, the CBS national TV contract, the partial P5 schedule every year, the 40k+ football stadium, the 5 million or so we spend on coaching, the back end infrastructure (support staff for recruiting, media, content, etc.), and more I'm not including.

I think we need to make adjustments faster if we want to get better faster. Fix the stuff or remove what isn't working faster.
good bones? Bro we’re like 15-70 over the past 10 years. There is nothing good about this program. Facilities are a bare minimum. Paying your coaches is a bare minimum. This whole operation needs a massive revamp if we’re going to even become a consistently mediocre team. Anything short of that is just prolonging our misery.

Reaction Score
Yeah. We would lose this by 35 under Edsall.

Rutgers is Bowl eligible for the first time since 2014. We need to spend a few years accumulating talent and having some consistent leadership.

I hope Jim Mora is still all in. I hope that the school does everything in their power to support him and the program.
this is why i hope people stop losing their minds. Charlton gets fired in the offseason. Mora hires a full time defensive coordinator. Miracle? No. but things can be changed.

Reaction Score
good bones? Bro we’re like 15-70 over the past 10 years. There is nothing good about this program. Facilities are a bare minimum. Paying your coaches is a bare minimum. This whole operation needs a massive revamp if we’re going to even become a consistently mediocre team. Anything short of that is just prolonging our misery.
I can see why you say that. I get it. We've been bad.

But we're still better than we were two years ago. By a lot. Still, we took a step back this year. We missed on key some transfers, especially on LBs and WRs. We swung and missed on QB transfers.

BUT! We have more resources than the schools I mentioned in my previous post. Those are schools that have made it farther with less. For example, we spend 1.5M more on coaches than JMU between the head coach and the assistant coaches. We recruit at a higher level than JMU. We've just been pretty bad at using the resources we have.

I think we need to look at how we evaluate players and coaches. Given the level of performance of some of our WRs, it couldn't hurt to see some of our younger WRs get reps.

Reaction Score
Not sure if they showed it on tv, but Mora was in the refs faces for like 2 minutes straight. He was fuming.
With good reason. Terrible calls against us or not for us. You know it's bad when the tv guys say X, and then the replay shows X, and the refs say nope, it's Y.

Reaction Score
We have players who are talented enough to be scoring more on offense. Our O-line is better than average. The Roberson fumble was a fundamentals lapse. Secure the damn ball. Joly, Cam Ross, Buckman can all make plays. Now Cam Edwards is showing he can be a serious factor on the ground and receiving. This staff on offense did not know what to do with these guys. Instead we are trying to throw double passes, running he same running play twice in a row because the first one worked, our screen pass game is a complete negative so stop running it. The lack of ability to stop plays up the middle on D is a huge problem and isn't getting better. Scheme or personel? The coaches have work to do.

Reaction Score
I can see why you say that. I get it. We've been bad.

But we're still better than we were two years ago. By a lot. Still, we took a step back this year. We missed on key some transfers, especially on LBs and WRs. We swung and missed on QB transfers.

BUT! We have more resources than the schools I mentioned in my previous post. Those are schools that have made it farther with less. For example, we spend 1.5M more on coaches than JMU between the head coach and the assistant coaches. We recruit at a higher level than JMU. We've just been pretty bad at using the resources we have.

I think we need to look at how we evaluate players and coaches. Given the level of performance of some of our WRs, it couldn't hurt to see some of our younger WRs get reps.

I think the younger receivers are having their redshirt protected. May get a look late in the season. Our top 5 are decent. The drops suck but all teams have a few each game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom