The Defense this year...(!!) | The Boneyard

The Defense this year...(!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I've been bowled over several times this year already at this squad's defensive execution, especially it's still early days for the season. Last night's game might have been yet another high water mark.

Per Moriah:

"The defensive effort was extra special. We were really playing at a fast pace, getting up into [their faces]. And in the start, before our offense got moving, it was a defensive game. Everyone was trying to get stops . . . . Every time someone got beat on defense, someone else was there [to cover]."

LINK to JA's Courant article

I think that there has not been a more *dominant* defensive lineup for UCONN than the one that Geno occasionally deployed in Stef's senior year featuring the utterly fearsome back line of Stewart, Dolson & Stokes. I mean, really; this was a modern-day murderer's row if ever there was one. While not a starting lineup, it was the scariest unit whenever it took the floor.

However, from the standpoint of defensive execution between and among the players, I have always had a soft spot for the 2009-10 squad:

Faris
Hayes
Greene
Moore
Charles

This team had many beautiful moments on the defensive end. Great balance between perimeter pressure, outstanding individual defensive chops and a strong back line with Tina as a stopper in the middle and Maya always lurking to blow up your offensive scheme (you couldn't really game plan for Maya's defensive exploits because half of the time, even Geno didn't know where she'd be :p). IMHO, this has been the benchmark for the classic UCONN team D that had no weaknesses, always playing with tremendous aggression and yet never having to "pay" for that aggression because they could always cover up, rotate and trap like nobody's business. Part of the secret sauce that made the 2009-10 crew extra special was that you had several players who could guard multiple positions and do it well -- an obvious requirement for an effective help defense and/or a defense that makes the choice to switch on screens a lot.

Fast forward to today, and the defense looks a little different with Geno running zone so much, to take advantage of this squad's strengths. But you have a group that really executes the zone and can follow the ball very, very well. Where other dominant UCONN defenses would utilize blocked shots by the dozen, this squad gets "offensive" on the defensive end by trapping and jumping the passing lanes as well as any Husky team in recent memory. Their rotation in the man-to-man is similarly stellar. Finally, the secret sauce is there with at least two players--Gabby and Stewie--who can easily defend multiple positions. Morgan could easily get the nod here as well. She has the quick feet for guarding the 2 or 3 and knows how to use her body and her position to guard the bigs.

The even scarier thought for opponents is.... Butler hasn't even taken the floor yet! She adds a puzzle piece that will allow Geno to wreak even more havoc against certain matchups. And the frosh are getting better fast. Boykin could also be defending at a high level come tournament time once she gets up to speed.

As much as the UCONN offense and ball movement is fun to watch, I am enjoying this year's Defense just as much if not more! By year's end, it could well be that this team sets the new standard for overall team defensive execution at UCONN. And that would be saying a lot. A lotta lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Superb post! 2009-10 is probably my favorite team for the reasons you articulate so well.

And I totally agree that the defense this year is awesome and merits comparison with the incredible defensive teams of 2014 and 2010. And agree that this could end up being the best of all.

The only things I'd add are: 1. the depth on defense is incredible and allows Geno to be more aggressive with trapping and pressing. 2. Collier looks like a pretty special defensive player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the difference in defense this year (and last year to an extent) is that there is no weak link in terms of perimeter defense at least pre Butler getting minutes. In the 2009/10 year, you really really didn't want Tina caught outside guarding a guard or wing for more than a second hedging on a screen. The same was true with Stef, and to a lesser degree with Kiah last year. With Morgan and Breanna they are simply switching everything because those two have enough quickness to guard on the perimeter, and Lou and Collier when they come in can continue that. The only real issue is when Moriah gets switched onto a big and taken low, but the rotation to get someone into the low post and relieve Moriah happens very quickly. The other smaller players have enough height/strength/leaping ability to hold their own.
Specific to last year the solution with Kiah in the game was to play a lot of zone - this year the zone seems more strategic rather than covering for any particular weakness.

Reaction Score
I know MoJett's spec.s were up to par, but I've never seen her stripped of the ball so much. What's up with that?

HGN

Reaction Score
I know MoJett's spec.s were up to par, but I've never seen her stripped of the ball so much. What's up with that?
Just a little loose and sloppy early. She ( and Geno) will tighten that up real soon. Uncharacteristic of Mo. And I think she will stop trying to go thru defenses that 'pinch' the lanes as Chattanooga did.

Reaction Score
Just a little loose and sloppy early. She ( and Geno) will tighten that up real soon. Uncharacteristic of Mo. And I think she will stop trying to go thru defenses that 'pinch' the lanes as Chattanooga did.
Everybody is going to pinch the lanes as long as there is no consistent 3-pt threat. Packing the paint is going to be the only defense that has a chance to work against this team as some mentioned before the season when trying to figure out who would get the 5th starter's spot.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any zone at all in last night's game, unless one is counting the zone press; even that was used sparingly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Everybody is going to pinch the lanes as long as there is no consistent 3-pt threat. Packing the paint is going to be the only defense that has a chance to work against this team as some mentioned before the season when trying to figure out who would get the 5th starter's spot.
This is one of the reasons Moriah needs to start taking her own 3s. She needs to help draw out the folks from the lane into space where help takes longer and she is long gone by the time it arrives.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't see any zone at all in last night's game, unless one is counting the zone press; even that was used sparingly.
There was match up zone being played at times.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I was re-watching the last game (Chattanooga) and only got as far as the 2nd quarter. I'll watch some more later this week. Anyway, the 1st quarter was pretty much all man-to-man, then they open the 2nd quarter in what looks to be a match-up zone. Yes, they are playing tight out high but then you see people passing through the back of the defense without being followed. It's not a straight man-to-man at that point. It's certainly not a standard 2-3; it looked more like a match-up or other variant of the 3-2 they played fairly often in earlier games. I would have to go look again. In any event, it's probably very confusing for the opponent.

Certainly it's interesting to watch -- I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the 2nd quarter and then the 2nd half in its entirety to watch the D more closely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I loved the 2009-10 team. Kelly, Kalana, and Tiffany were outstanding, athletic defenders. Maya had that long reach, and she and Tina were very physical. I think the opposing team would look at them in the huddle and be absolutely intimidated. It was an excellent defensive team.

In terms of half-court defense, the big lineup of 2013-14 may be the best I've seen. The front line of Stef, Stewie, and Kiah was almost impenetrable. There were games when Kiah came in, and immediately we started a nice run, because the other team got shots blocked and had no offensive rebounds.

I like the versatility of this year's lineup. We'll see if Natalie and De'Janae add even more. Moriah is very disrupting. Kia is big and plays solid defense with energy. Gabby can defend several positions and is quick as a cat. Morgan is smart solid. And Stewie is the human eraser. Then we bring in Lou and Napheesa with their great length. I think Napheesa may threaten the UConn career steals record.

Reaction Score
When she sees the film she is going to ask the same question.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fast forward to today, and the defense looks a little different with Geno running zone so much, to take advantage of this squad's strengths. But you have a group that really executes the zone and can follow the ball very, very well. Where other dominant UCONN defenses would utilize blocked shots by the dozen, this squad gets "offensive" on the defensive end by trapping and jumping the passing lanes as well as any Husky team in recent memory. Their rotation in the man-to-man is similarly stellar. Finally, the secret sauce is there with at least two players--Gabby and Stewie--who can easily defend multiple positions. Morgan could easily get the nod here as well. She has the quick feet for guarding the 2 or 3 and knows how to use her body and her position to guard the bigs.
It's kinda funny to watch the opposing guards. They'll get a screen out front to get Jefferson off of them, only to find out Stewart is guarding them now. "Great, I can't get around her either, and now I can't see anything." They usually just give up the ball to someone else.
I was re-watching the last game (Chattanooga) and only got as far as the 2nd quarter. I'll watch some more later this week. Anyway, the 1st quarter was pretty much all man-to-man, then they open the 2nd quarter in what looks to be a match-up zone. Yes, they are playing tight out high but then you see people passing through the back of the defense without being followed. It's not a straight man-to-man at that point. It's certainly not a standard 2-3; it looked more like a match-up or other variant of the 3-2 they played fairly often in earlier games. I would have to go look again. In any event, it's probably very confusing for the opponent.

Certainly it's interesting to watch -- I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the 2nd quarter and then the 2nd half in its entirety to watch the D more closely.

It's pretty much a straight man to man, it's just that they switch so much that it looks like they are covering a zone or a doing a match up zone. And when they get the ball isolated to one side (which they like to do) they will drop off their man and cheat into the passing lanes or The lane to prevent lobs into the post.

Their rotations have been really good on the switches this year. Really good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Napheesa may threaten the UConn career steals record.
That's a big (BIG) record. Jefferson for all her steals won't be anywhere close to Sales. If Jefferson can get 90-100 steals and passes #2 Rizzotti, she's still gonna be almost 100 off Sales record.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Williams takes the defense on the perimeter to another level. She and Jefferson are ultra athletic and make it very difficult for the opposing guards to get into any sort of comfort zone. It is hard to make a good pass when you are just trying not to get the ball stolen from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom