The committee is a joke | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The committee is a joke

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
As if he doesn't say that every year. Everybody's all cocky until there's some competition. I'm just surprised Auriemma didn't break down weeping and say he's considering forfeiting.
The great Frank Leahy, whose 107-13-9 or .864 record at Notre Dame compares with Geno's at UCONN, was quoted just before a 40-plus-point victory over Navy as saying "Frankly, those Navy boys scare me to death." No bulletin board material for Frank.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The committee really had nothing much to do with Where the Regionals are...that's a competitive bid kind of thing with the NCAA (I believe)... Locations (cities/venues/etc) submit their bids and someone/group in NCAA makes the selections, smaller version of Superbowl venue selection process or even Olympic Games selection... Can't blame this on the committee...just sayin'
I know but I didnt want to start a new topic for this. So instead of the "team" selection committee, it was the "site bid group" who decided on this.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I am more stunned or appalled by this talk of UConn being screwed. We are supposed to be the best team of WCBB right now. We also have the first 4 games (hopefully) at home. To become a champion, you should want to beat the best. Can you imagine the reaction from Geno or this board if the team reacted like this? Its NCAA tourney time. There are no easy games, assumptions, etc. Time to play like the 11-time champs we are and play in pursuit of perfection, regardless of the opponent. This is UConn, let's act like it. No fear, just play to win.

Reaction Score
"We got our work cut out for us"- Geno on facebook live about the bracket.

Said Maryland, UCLA, and Syracuse all score a lot of points

Said we would have to beat 3 top 5 teams to win the title which has never happened.

Shame there were upsets last year because we need them to happen this year.

Funny Geno seems to agree with us whiners.

Just because Geno said these statements means he agrees with you or the "whiners". Just about everyone who follows the Connecticut ladies knows that he motivates by any means necessary. Those statements are motivation tactics, to remind his ladies that they haven't won anything yet.

He needed to remind his team that Maryland, UCLA and Syracuse can all score a lot of points. Or that his team would have to beat 3 top 5 teams to win it all. (They can/will be the first). Again it's to motivate and keep his team grounded. They will be fine. Man, if Geno and he ladies really thought like how some people on the board feel, they will be in trouble.

Reaction Score
UConn is the best team. You shouldn't be worried about the rest of us scrubs. :rolleyes:
Everyone has to understand that this is a TV TOURNAMENT. As I've stated before, this will be the most competitive tournament ever, by far. To me, any great coach would worry more about " who " is in their bracket. You focus on the game in front of you. I was very surpised by Dawn 's reaction to SC being sent to Stockton. IMO, both the Lexington, and Oklahoma regions have considerably more difficult paths. And, if you are going to end your statement stating how many obstacles your team has overcome this season, why plant a negative mind set to begin with ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
if I were Duke, i'd be far more concerned about Oregon than UConn. I think Oregon has what it takes to beat Duke in Durham.

I think Oregon has a possibility to make a serious run up that side of the bracket. They played awfully well in the PAC12 tourney and Ionescu strikes me as ready to having a coming-out party, along with Ruthie Hebard.

Reaction Score
once again UCONN gets screwed!!

Mike...

For the good of the women's game, for the good of UCONN's game. and for the anti-ho-hummers, the UCONN faithful...

I thank the Committee for giving UCONN the hardest possible schedule to the championship.
(Drop the mike) (not you, Mike).

Why?

Viewers, new and old, are coming this year. Big time.

What do we need for the good of the game?

What do we need for the good of UCONN?

These hordes of viewers attracted by the hype must not see:

UCONN run over any easy teams.

Or those viewers will say:

1. Sure, none of the other teams are any good.

2. Very few of the other teams are any good.

3. The 11 championships are worthless.

4. That women's championship is worthless

5. UCONN's streak is worthless.

6. As we said, BORING! Why watch at all.

The committee must have planned for this issue.

And after all, don't we UCONN fans value a great game against a real competitor, more than the cham... uh, err...

Well we do love a great game!

Just my take.
63982_4668339822504_1686718245_n.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The biggest joke is picking Stockton as a location for one of the regionals.
According to what I can find, there is only one airline that services Stockton Airport. It is Allegiant Airlines. They only have flights to Stockton from Vegas, Phoenix and San Diego.
This is also a positive note if you are flying Allegiant---To purchase tickets at the Allegiant ticket counter, agents are available ONLY one hour after each scheduled departure and ONLY on the days when there is a scheduled flight.
The next closest cities to fly to are:

60 minutes to Sacramento
85 minutes to San Francisco
75 minutes to San Jose and Oakland.
The above are with no traffic.
Stockton formerly was known as the Foreclosure Capital of the USA.
What the heck was the appeal? Why not Portland? Seattle, Sacramento, San Diego, etc.

I'm flying into and staying in SF; it's 80 miles away. Stockton is as bad a location as Sioux Falls.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A few (random) points...

1) For those attacking Charlie Creme for not being completely accurate in his bracketology, remember this thread. The Committee goes against its own rules at times, whether it be seeding, placement, geography, etc. He is not perfect, but Creme is VERY knowledgeable about the rules. It is not exactly fair to expect Creme to predict when and how the Committee will sway from its own rules/guidelines.

2) Maryland was always going to be a #3 seed, based on the early projections/Committee "first looks." Had Maryland been able to defeat Ohio State three times, it might have been a #2 (MD split the regular season meetings, then played Purdue instead of OSU in the B10 final). But even as a #2, it likely would have been the lowest seeded #2, meaning a date in Bridgeport.

3) Intentional or not, the committee has a twisted sense of humor. Lexi Brown transferred from Maryland to Duke, and the teams could meet in the Sweet 16. Azura Stevens transferred from Duke to UConn, and the teams could meet in the Elite Eight.

4) The last time UConn lost to a team in the NCAA Tournament in the State of Connecticut? At the time the game was played, Crystal Dangerfield was seven years old, Twitter did not even exist, Marisa Moseley had not started her coaching career, and Geno Auriemma "only" had five national titles. Safe to say that no matter who the opponent is, attempting to defeat UConn is an incredibly daunting task...doing so in CT would require a miracle.

Reaction Score
Let us not forgot that we are playing "home" games all the way until the FF. No other team has that advantage that I am aware of.

Reaction Score
Let us not forgot that we are playing "home" games all the way until the FF. No other team has that advantage that I am aware of.

Kentucky would not have to leave Lexington at all, as they are slated to host all four potential games.

Reaction Score
I don't blame him. These brackets reflect an intentional attempt to achieve certain desired results. It's pretty obvious the NCAA has decided that UCONN is bad for WCBB, and they will go to any lengths to try and end our reign of terror.
I certainly don't think there's any reason for us to accommodate them. But on the other hand, starting a brand new reign of terror next season, that will go on and on and on, doesn't sound too bad either. :D

Reaction Score
Geno always says the competition is tough. Otherwise he'd be dis-respecting them. I've never heard him say anything like that. You know like "We've gotten pretty good at beating {name your team here} lately"

Reaction Score
The idea that ESPN or the NCAA wants UConn to lose for $ reasons is laughably inaccurate.

ESPN will be happiest if the 4 #1 seeds make the final 4 - that will get the best ratings. Texas and Washington are also nice storylines.

Reaction Score
Funny Geno seems to agree with us whiners.

or...

Geno is doing his job, promoting a tough game to raise interest...

Marketing is saying "USF is a tough one, by golly."

Geno gets the big bucks to make big statements promoting a big fight.

I mean, what should he say: "Ok, (wipes his brow with relief) these teams are cupcakes!. We can barely wait to take a big bite??"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom