The Colgate Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Colgate Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My wife and I drove to that game with our son who was six months old at the time. It was on New Year's Eve. I almost commented on this game in one of the Notre Dame-game threads. Why? UConn won by 58 points and there was a UConn fan complaining throughout the game about all of the mistakes he saw and how this might be okay against Wright State, but when UConn played Tennessee the following week we would be doomed. He was disparaging UConn's coaching and players' decision making. Between halves and after the game he was literally walking up and down the aisle sharing his concern. I can still hear his voice, "this isn't Tennessee, people." My point in bringing it up is that they guy could not be satisfied. A 60-point win was not enough for him to enjoy himself, appreciate his team and acknowledge the program's excellence. It's not exactly the same as the Notre Dame doom and gloom, but it's in the same ballpark.

BTW – I just looked it up, and the following week #1 UConn beat #2 Tennessee on the road 86-72 in front of the largest crowd to ever watch a women's basketball game. I wished I had that guy's phone number.

The Nutter Center was a nice facility and the people there were all very welcoming. It was enjoyable weekend, as my wife and I also experienced our first alcohol-free New Year's Eve celebration with our baby. The only downside is that I got into some Nutter Center database, so I still get five or six emails promoting events each year. Oh, yeah, and there was the speeding ticket on the way home that added insult to injury when the Ohio State Trooper pointed out that I had the same birthday as his dad -- even the same year. Major "I am getting old" moment.

I wish I could go to Colgate.
Nice story, Fairview. Thanks for sharing it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow - I am guessing there are a lot of phone calls buzzing around the Syracuse campus right about now.

Syracuse Pres on the line with the AD: Did you know anything about this?! Who is in charge over there!! I want some answers!
PR Director on conference call with staff: OK, who has any ideas on how we spin this?! Anyone?! Anyone?! Bueller?!
Coach Q to his assistant: Anyone calls, I just left and you're not sure where I was headed or when I will be back!
Syracuse would have to start caring about the women's program for that to happen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno allowed Maya to go off on 'Cuse and Q when some similar incident --incensed Geno and team.
Maya hit at least 40--and their tripping lady didn't get going.
One of the Syracuse kids was quoted in the paper as saying that they weren't worried about Maya, that anyone on the team could guard her. The exact quote, which I can't seem to find, was a bit more condescending. Geno and/or CD probably asked Maya to let her game do the talking in response and so she had 38 points, 20 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in 32 minutes. And I enjoyed every second of it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe, KLM never got to play a game in So Cal..
Pacific, UC Davis and Stanford are nowhere near Anaheim.
KML's game ended up as the UC David game - I believe they were in serious negotiation with UCLA (?) and it really did come down to being unable to find a date that worked for both schools. Syracuse being much closer I am sure uconn could be more accommodating with dates had Syracuse been willing.

It would certainly not have sold out that barn at Syracuse, but they probably could have gotten 3000+ more people in to see a game than they will get for Coppin State or something like 6 times their expected turnout.

UNC - Uconn dropped them when I think they added Maryland or another ACC school to the schedule - it had been too many blow outs in a row to try to keep them on the schedule and Geno likes to keep the OOC balanced in terms of conferences. (Duke did do the dropping of their series - maybe for the same reason. :rolleyes:)

I actually would like to see a few more media smack downs for programs that schedule cupcake home schedules - if the game is to grow, it needs more good contests throughout the year and not just waiting for conference play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ACC teams are skeered of Uconn, and with good reason. If Duke and UNC duck UConn these days, it was because of the beatdowns regularly administered thereon. Even ND has dropped four in a row to UConn since the Irish migration to the ACC.
UNC (Sylvia Hatchell) wanted to continue the series but Geno ended it due to lack of competition.

Reaction Score
One of the Syracuse kids was quoted in the paper as saying that they weren't worried about Maya, that anyone on the team could guard her. The exact quote, which I can't seem to find, was a bit more condescending. Geno and/or CD probably asked Maya to let her game do the talking in response and so she had 38 points, 20 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in 32 minutes. And I enjoyed every second of it.
Thanks , I enjoyed that game too. Q is probably a good coach--but in this case, and probably that too, PETTY.

Reaction Score
UNC (Sylvia Hatchell) wanted to continue the series but Geno ended it due to lack of competition.
Seems like Geno's (and probably CD's) timing is impeccable!!!

Reaction Score
Absolutely not! There is literally NO WAY Stewie could have gone to Syracuse. It would have been utterly impossible for her to have won four consecutive national championships at Syracuse like she "did" at UConn, which as everyone knows was her stated intention. Just one would have been a miracle!

And, besides .....if she had gone to Syracuse, she would not be "Stewie," she would still be just a plain old Breanna. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

It probably is a certainty that Syracuse wouldn't have won 3 NC's or one NC even with Stewie--there too is a degree of probability that Uconn would not have owned 3 more (up to this time) without her. We were more than blessed to get her. With her, Jefferson and Tuck we have a tiny dynasty--would any 'Cuse supporting cast been so great???

Reaction Score
As a native of Upstate New York, I fully understand the situation with Syracuse..... perhaps Syracuse is embarrassed at the prospect of the hometown gal who did not choose to play for The Orange Nation..... perhaps they wanted to spite Stewie or Uconn.... those are possibilities, but one thing is for sure...... Historically, Syracuse has been territorial (polite) or "homers" (truth)..... you look at the men's program..... and see the schedule they have played over the years..... I do not think they played ANY games, or semi-significant games outside of Syracuse before the New Year..... Many people think that is the reason they historically have failed in post season, because they played the cupcakes the first 2 months of the season, and then jumped into the cold water of conference play, but that lasts only 2 months.... and then the NCAAs come.....

The women's program I think does the same thing..... let's "test" ourselves with the juggernaut that is Coppin State, and gauge how our team stacks up..... who knows perhaps they will climb a notch or two in the Top 25 (which means nothing)..... Let's envelop ourselves in the aura that is "The 'Cuse" and ride the PR train..... bury by all means, do not let our program be exposed playing UConn, even when by scheduling them they could have done a "solid" for a great player and upstanding person in Breanna Stewart.....

I have no enmity toward Syracuse, but I certainly do know "how they roll"...

Reaction Score
Never been on a team where the players didn't want to play against the "Best".
Of course the coach, admin, etc... sometimes had their own hangups. I just don't think the Saracuse Players would have run scared.
It's a blast and an honor to get the chance to just play against the best. Once in a life time.
I once surfed Jaws and got my butt handed to me. I knew it would happen, but I just couldn't pass up the chance.
I still tell my kids, "I surfed that." Well tried to surf that....

Reaction Score

In addition to that, I remember hearing a story about what Geno said to them in the huddle that game, I think after Caroline went down hurt. (Was this really all one game, or am I mixing up two memorable anti-Cuse incidents?) Basically, the report was that Geno asked the team how they wanted to respond, and the team said "We want to embarrass them." So he let them run up the score.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Did all those sour grapes make you pucker Q? What a jerk - but then most of us with a memory know what kind of guy he is since the tripgate game.
You could not have said it better; the guy always was a jerk, while pretending that he was a friend of Geno's.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
ACC teams are skeered of Uconn, and with good reason. If Duke and UNC duck UConn these days, it was because of the beatdowns regularly administered thereon. Even ND has dropped four in a row to UConn since the Irish migration to the ACC.
You are right! I judge a coach on whether he accepts a challenge. Most coaches today will NOT! They want to be judged on their won+lost record against inferior teams, instead of how well they challenged great teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
ursusminor said:
In addition to that, I remember hearing a story about what Geno said to them in the huddle that game, I think after Caroline went down hurt. (Was this really all one game, or am I mixing up two memorable anti-Cuse incidents?) Basically, the report was that Geno asked the team how they wanted to respond, and the team said "We want to embarrass them." So he let them run up the score.

That was the game in which Caroline got hurt, but Syracuse and their style of play had absolutely nothing to do with her injury. She fell under the basket with about a minute to play in the first half, having played the entire half because she was hitting every shot. There was no body contact on the play where she was injured. Geno later said that he will go to his grave believing that she would not have re-injured her knee if he had gotten her out of the game at some point in that half.

That is probably why we have never seen Morgan Tuck play anything close to 20 consecutive minutes without a break, regardless of the game situation or how well she is playing.

I was at that game and I don't recall that it was a particularly physical game. Syracuse played a zone and let Maya and Caroline fire away from the 3-point line, and they were firing accurately. So the score got out of hand quickly. Apparently (based on subsequent newspaper reports) Syracuse engaged in a lot of trash talk that was further over the line than what Maya's tender ears were accustomed to. Geno asked her during a timeout what she wanted to do about it, and she said, "Beat them by 40." Which they proceeded to do. Geno played Maya for almost the full 40 minutes, and she scored over 40 points. In the handshake line after the game, a Syracuse player made a hostile comment to Geno and he told her that she should show more respect for adults. At that point, she appeared to try unsuccessfully to trip him.

I'm sure that Coach Q remembers that as if it were yesterday, and it probably played into his decision not to accommodate Stewie's homecoming game. But he probably would have made the same decision anyway.

Reaction Score
That was the game in which Caroline got hurt, but Syracuse and their style of play had absolutely nothing to do with her injury. She fell under the basket with about a minute to play in the first half, having played the entire half because she was hitting every shot. There was no body contact on the play where she was injured. Geno later said that he will go to his grave believing that she would not have re-injured her knee if he had gotten her out of the game at some point in that half.

That is probably why we have never seen Morgan Tuck play anything close to 20 consecutive minutes without a break, regardless of the game situation or how well she is playing.

I was at that game and I don't recall that it was a particularly physical game. Syracuse played a zone and let Maya and Caroline fire away from the 3-point line, and they were firing accurately. So the score got out of hand quickly. Apparently (based on subsequent newspaper reports) Syracuse engaged in a lot of trash talk that was further over the line than what Maya's tender ears were accustomed to. Geno asked her during a timeout what she wanted to do about it, and she said, "Beat them by 40." Which they proceeded to do. Geno played Maya for almost the full 40 minutes, and she scored over 40 points. In the handshake line after the game, a Syracuse player made a hostile comment to Geno and he told her that she should show more respect for adults. At that point, she appeared to try unsuccessfully to trip him.

I'm sure that Coach Q remembers that as if it were yesterday, and it probably played into his decision not to accommodate Stewie's homecoming game. But he probably would have made the same decision anyway.
My memory is that it was a very chippy game by SU, and karma was needed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe every coach doesn't want to play UConn and lose by 40 at home, when they can play a Coppin State and win by 40 at home. There is no obligation by any coach to schedule a "Home" game for a player that went elsewhere, if Stewie wanted to play at Syracuse then she could have gone to school there. It was her choice.
True, they can be an @ss if they want to. But he's been one before, so nothing new here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
upload_2015-12-9_6-57-54.png

Yeah, this guy - Quentin thought at one time he would rise to the top of WCBB. Big, wide chip on his shoulder. Bleep him. Petty guy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of Colgate:

I had a dim memory of someone associated with my beloved Knicks of the 50's being a Colgate grad.
And it was none other than Dr. Ernest (Ernie) Vandeweghe wonderful player and fine gentleman all of whose kids; Kiki, Coco and all of his others became champion athletes. He passed away last year.

What I didn't remember was that Bill Parcels was a grad as well

And Gloria Borgia, Andy Rooney, Bob Woodruff, Monica Crowley and many other luminaries in all fields.

A wonderful legacy.

HGN

Reaction Score
Instead Syracuse schedules a game with Coppin State on the same day UConn is playing Colgate. That indicates a date was available, Coach Q just didn't want to cooperate with Geno and UConn. So they'll get attendance of 450-600 instead of 3500 or more. No National Media Attention and all the local Media attention will be given to Stewie and Colgate. Very Short sighted if you ask me.

Iowa and Iowa State wouldn't give Kiah Stokes a home game last year either. Both of those teams usually don't play tough OOC Schedules. Unlike Syracuse they usually have good home attendance for their games.
Wbbfan , Obviously revenue , was not , and is not , a concern for the coach..... Neither is getting your kids some national exposure at Syracuse. Why else would they schedule Coppin State and sale maybe a 1000 tickets....Instead of scheduling UConn where you could sell 10,000 tickets ? :( You deprive your fans , and the City of Syracuse from seeing their native daughter , and from seeing the No.#1 team in the country to play Coppin State. Nothing against Coppin State , but we are talking about the #1 team in the country. I understand about not wanting to get beat at Home ; not wanting to lose by a huge margin ; but that's personal. What about giving your players a challenge ? What about giving them the experience of having played a UConn when they were #1 in the country ? What about letting potential recruits see you on TV battling the #1 team in the country. Even if you do lose? And what if the kids take this as a coach who has no faith in them as a team?

Other than the obvious of having won 3 NC's , I can see why Stewie went off to UConn instead of choosing Syracuse.

No Guts , No Glory.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I remember the game as really chippy. Especially Michael and Ward(??). SU players were doing everything short of throwing punches and Q made no effort to control it. My impression was that Auriemma unleashed Moore as payback for the chippy play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am with a whole bunch of Stewie's family and friends and a lot of other of her fans from this area. Should be a great time and yes shame on SU for not playing them in the Dome.

I'm going tonight and have a nephew st Syracuse. It would have been nice to see the game with him there, but it should be fun regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom