The Buffalo Lion thread | The Boneyard

The Buffalo Lion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even the morning after expansion looks to have cooled, he still is defending us on the WV site in a thread about expansion slowing down with the ACC GOR (I've done the bolding for emphasis, not Buffalo).

If expansion is indeed over for now, I will dearly miss him. Fare thee well, Buffalo Lion. Feel free to leave your condolences. Floral arrangements can be made thru 1-800-Flowers

Delany has had a man crush on Rutgers and the New York City Metro for years. He said a couple of years ago that he wanted to control New York City, lock, stock, and barrel. Rutgers would have been number 12 three years ago if Nebraska wouldn't have fallen in his lap. They graded out better in their overall metrics than any other school he was looking at at the time.

If it wasn't for the AAU issue, UConn would be a member right now. Their metrics are off the charts. Even at that, the Big Ten is VERY impressed with the support they are getting from their state government and state representitives in their efforts to obtain AAU status.

Make no mistake, Delany wants to control the New York City Metro and Rutgers was the most important piece of that puzzle. UConn is the second most important piece, and it wouldn't suprise me at all to see him pull the trigger on them if it can get by the Big Ten Presidents.

The Penn State issue you state was real. MANY Penn Staters were royally pi---d at how Penn State was treated by Delany after the Board of Trustee's bogus Freeh Report came out which was used to deflect attention away from the Second Mile. When the Big Ten decided to withhold Penn State's Bowl revenue for the next 4 years, many alumni and fans were ready to jump to the ACC. When Maryland fell into Delany's lap, it was a no brainer to take Rutgers with them. There are literally hordes of Penn State alumni and fans in New York City, New Jersey, Maryland, and Washington DC. The additions of Rutgers and Maryland have not only shut up a lot of those fans, but Penn State is 100% on board now with the Big Ten.

Rutgers and Maryland were the two most important schools to lock up Penn State into eternity. Hardly "expansion for the sake of expansion".

Reaction Score
He's wrong. ND is the most important piece of the puzzle.

From reading a few of the other boards, seems the B12 will collapse once their GOR is over. Look for us to be in a conference with KU, KState, Baylor, TCU, WVU, etc. in about 10 years.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He's well-spoken and fairly well-respected on that board. He has more faith in UConn than an unfortunate number of posters on this board. I will ask Marinatto to send him a dozen roses.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that's upstater, so ….
If so, fine, but we really should be crawling up Penn State's ass right about now. Like playing them in hoops, like playing them there without a return game, like supporting any petition for them to come off probation early, and getting ourselves a friend to help into the B1G.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that's upstater, so ….

I can tell you, it is absolutely not me. And as a PSU fan, I can also tell you that Buffalo Lion has been posting on the McAndrew site since long, long before I ever moved to Buffalo. I lived in Rochester and Ann Arbor until a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I would ask why he doesn't post here, but if he's on a quest to 'represent' and lobby for UConn, he'd be just preaching to the choir here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I would ask why he doesn't post here, but if he's on a quest to 'represent' and lobby for UConn, he'd be just preaching to the choir here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last thing we need is someone that rational and objective associating himself with this place....he'd instantly loose any credibility he may have....

Reaction Score
If so, fine, but we really should be crawling up Penn State's ass right about now. Like playing them in hoops, like playing them there without a return game, like supporting any petition for them to come off probation early, and getting ourselves a friend to help into the B1G.
I'm with you. Schedule them in men's & women's hoops & soccer, football (if they'll have us) baseball, field hockey, anything. Didn't I read that PSU is starting a hockey team? With UCONN's upgrade to Hockey East status, add PSU for OOC games.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Schedule them in men's & women's hoops & soccer, football (if they'll have us) baseball, field hockey, anything. Didn't I read that PSU is starting a hockey team? With UCONN's upgrade to Hockey East status, add PSU for OOC games.
Was just in State College over Easter and their new arena they're building for hockey is real nice. All glass front. Hope UConn builds something similar down the road. PSU is joining to new B1G hockey league. It'd be good to see us schedule them in other sports.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan that grew up in the state (didn't attend) but lives in MA, I think I fully understand where UConn, BC and UMass fall in New England Fandom. What bothers me is how the rest of the nation perceives New England.

If you are a Greater Boston Catholic and/or alumni of BC, you are a fan. After that, there are no BC fans.
As far as UMass, I see more UConn Bumper stickers an apparal in Boston on a daily basis. UMass barely registers.

Once again, BuffaloLion has our back. The following post was made by him yesterday after some posters speculated as UMass being the 16th team to the big ten and possibly UMass' upsidebeing as large as ours?!?!

I just hope he is as close an insider as they get, because I love when he says "we".

Uconn would be in the Big Ten today if they were an AAU school. I quoted yesterday Delany's statement that he wanted to own the New York City Metro "lock, stock, and barrel".

Rutgers was the first piece to the puzzle. They are an AAU school, and have the closest proximity to New York City. The state of New Jersey is EXTREMELY fertile recruiting grounds for football, basketball, and wrestling. Rutgers also, as strange as it may seem, also makes the Philadelphia media market more valuable to advertizers in that MUCH of the Philadelphia media market is in New Jersey. Rutgers is New York City's football school in that it gets higher ratings than anyone else. The combination of Rutgers and Penn State though still doesn't give Delany everything he wants. He also wants Basketball.

UConn would be the second piece to Delany's New York City's puzzle. UConn has the highest television basketball ratings of any New York City area school including St Johns BY FAR. And it's football program, if given the right funding, could be a sleeping giant.

The feeling is, with Rentschler Field being so centralized to all of New England, that it could carry all of New England for the Big Ten. Portland Maine is about the same distance to Rentschler Field in East Hartford as Philadelphia is to Beaver Stadium at Penn State. Boston is closer to Storrs than Harrisburg is to State College. Geographically, more of Massachusetts is closer to UConn's campus than it is to BC's campus. Unlike Boston College, there is next to NO in-state competition for rooting loyalties with the very minute exception of Yale.

You ask about UMass. One of the things the Big Ten loves about UConn is the incredible support they get from their state Government and state representitives in their efforts to obtain AAU status. I'll put a link below illustrating some of the support they have been getting. On the other hand, UMass has to literally BEG for money.

Whereas UConn's campus and buildings are well maintained, and their research efforts STRONGLY supported, UMass has a campus that scrapes for every dime to keep its buildings from falling down. UMass is looked at by it's own state's residents as a "fall back" institution, and that's how it is treated by the state.

The brightest in-state kids from Massachusetts apply to the Big Ten schools and Ivy League schools, willing to pay more money, because they think they will get a better education there. They apply to UMass as a fall back option in case they don't get accepted anywhere else.

UConn has had a 70% increase of students from Massachusetts in the last decade whereas UMass has seen a MINUS 5.5% dropoff of Connecticut students enrolling at UMass. The UMass administration realized a few years ago that not having a Division One football team was killing them. The elite in-state students that wanted good academics, but were also sports fans (meaning they wanted an Ivy League quality education that included big time college sports) were gravitating to the Big Ten schools and UConn.

In short, UMass has fallen galaxies behind UConn in both academics and athletics. The Big Ten looks at UConn as a sleeping giant that has VERY FEW negatives. One of course is that even though they are far above UMass academically, they are still not officially an AAU school. But we ARE VERY impressed with their efforts in trying to obtain that status.

As promised, here is a statement by their governor stating his support, both verbally and financially, to UConn's impressive state endorsed research efforts.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan that grew up in the state (didn't attend) but lives in MA, I think I fully understand where UConn, BC and UMass fall in New England Fandom. What bothers me is how the rest of the nation perceives New England.

If you are a Greater Boston Catholic and/or alumni of BC, you are a fan. After that, there are no BC fans.
As far as UMass, I see more UConn Bumper stickers an apparal in Boston on a daily basis. UMass barely registers.

Once again, BuffaloLion has our back. The following post was made by him yesterday after some posters speculated as UMass being the 16th team to the big ten and possibly UMass' upsidebeing as large as ours?!?!

I just hope he is as close an insider as they get, because I love when he says "we".

Uconn would be in the Big Ten today if they were an AAU school. I quoted yesterday Delany's statement that he wanted to own the New York City Metro "lock, stock, and barrel".

Rutgers was the first piece to the puzzle. They are an AAU school, and have the closest proximity to New York City. The state of New Jersey is EXTREMELY fertile recruiting grounds for football, basketball, and wrestling. Rutgers also, as strange as it may seem, also makes the Philadelphia media market more valuable to advertizers in that MUCH of the Philadelphia media market is in New Jersey. Rutgers is New York City's football school in that it gets higher ratings than anyone else. The combination of Rutgers and Penn State though still doesn't give Delany everything he wants. He also wants Basketball.

UConn would be the second piece to Delany's New York City's puzzle. UConn has the highest television basketball ratings of any New York City area school including St Johns BY FAR. And it's football program, if given the right funding, could be a sleeping giant.

The feeling is, with Rentschler Field being so centralized to all of New England, that it could carry all of New England for the Big Ten. Portland Maine is about the same distance to Rentschler Field in East Hartford as Philadelphia is to Beaver Stadium at Penn State. Boston is closer to Storrs than Harrisburg is to State College. Geographically, more of Massachusetts is closer to UConn's campus than it is to BC's campus. Unlike Boston College, there is next to NO in-state competition for rooting loyalties with the very minute exception of Yale.

You ask about UMass. One of the things the Big Ten loves about UConn is the incredible support they get from their state Government and state representitives in their efforts to obtain AAU status. I'll put a link below illustrating some of the support they have been getting. On the other hand, UMass has to literally BEG for money.

Whereas UConn's campus and buildings are well maintained, and their research efforts STRONGLY supported, UMass has a campus that scrapes for every dime to keep its buildings from falling down. UMass is looked at by it's own state's residents as a "fall back" institution, and that's how it is treated by the state.

The brightest in-state kids from Massachusetts apply to the Big Ten schools and Ivy League schools, willing to pay more money, because they think they will get a better education there. They apply to UMass as a fall back option in case they don't get accepted anywhere else.

UConn has had a 70% increase of students from Massachusetts in the last decade whereas UMass has seen a MINUS 5.5% dropoff of Connecticut students enrolling at UMass. The UMass administration realized a few years ago that not having a Division One football team was killing them. The elite in-state students that wanted good academics, but were also sports fans (meaning they wanted an Ivy League quality education that included big time college sports) were gravitating to the Big Ten schools and UConn.

In short, UMass has fallen galaxies behind UConn in both academics and athletics. The Big Ten looks at UConn as a sleeping giant that has VERY FEW negatives. One of course is that even though they are far above UMass academically, they are still not officially an AAU school. But we ARE VERY impressed with their efforts in trying to obtain that status.

As promised, here is a statement by their governor stating his support, both verbally and financially, to UConn's impressive state endorsed research efforts.

After reading that, should be obvious I didn't write that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually after reading that I kind of thought the opposite. Particularly the admissions info sounds like the kind of detail that makes your posts so interesting, imo, not that I want to go pick out china or anything.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At this point it's just fun to call you Buffalo Lion. :) Although I hope not to offend the real Buffalo Lion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Doing gods work, this guy. I hope our prez and AD are as articulate when selling folks on our virtues.

I do appreciate that he spends so much time dispelling incorrect perceptions. There is a very poor understanding of New England by those in the midwest (and yes, we're even more ignorant about them). For example, just bring someone from the midwest along 95 from Dedham to Greenwich. They will be blown away that the population just doesn't stop (have witnessed this several times). That the exits never stop being a mile or two apart. There is no place like that in the midwest. Mentally, they superimpose their population model on our state size, and come away thinking it a tiny insignificant place. Cities in the midwest seem more significant. You have nothing, nothing, nothing then...Tulsa!

So if he opens even a few eyes, that's something. Not sure why a PSU fan from upstate NY is so interesting in tooting our horn, but I won't complain.

Reaction Score
Actually after reading that I kind of thought the opposite. Particularly the admissions info sounds like the kind of detail that makes your posts so interesting, imo, not that I want to go pick out china or anything.

I agreed with everything in Buff's post until that part. The admissions stuff was purely anecdotal, IMO, and I've voiced the exact opposite thinking in the past about it. And that is, the rise in applications is driven by budgetary needs (at the expense of state students) and other students being priced out of the private market. In other words, private schooling goes for $50k a year these days, whereas out of state is 3/5ths of that. There's some incentive there for students. Plus, given the New England regional programs, UConn only costs $10k more for a Mass. resident than for a Conn. resident. I have no doubt that sports plays a big part in the dynamic, but the general point he's making is questionable since he's not only talking about kids going to UConn but to other schools out-of-state. There are huge rises in out-of-state acceptances all over the country because of the budget cuts--and this is a source of huge controversy because, for the first time, in-state students are now of higher caliber than the out-of-state students. In other words, the out-of-state kids are considered cash cows, and they have an easier time getting into an out-of-state school--IF they can pay for it. So, across the nation, this is surely not sports driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom