The Bodyguards at Sunday's Game; and a great play | The Boneyard

The Bodyguards at Sunday's Game; and a great play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Mike DiMauro's article today ...just in case you missed this at yesterday's game:

"Three team managers (one dressed in what would normally be called a tuxedo) lined up like soldiers adjacent to the huddle, while East Carolina coach Heather Macy, seated in front of her team, addressed the players. The soldiers, stone-faced and standing side by side, stare at what appears to be the UConn bench, thus preventing anyone from UConn to see all of East Carolina's secrets.

"I've got to say," UConn coach
Geno Auriemma said later, "I've never seen that before."

Auriemma even took the opportunity to wave at the soldiers during one timeout.

"Somebody mentioned it yesterday. I hadn't seen it. So today, I kinda wanted to look down there and see what the commotion was about," Auriemma said. "I see three guys lined up just staring at us. It was kind of like, 'what are you guys looking at?'

"I don't know whether there's something going on in that huddle that we aren't supposed to know," he said. "I've got to tell you I've been coaching 40 years and I've never seen that. Ever. They're like the guys guarding the queen. Not allowed to smile, not allowed to laugh. But one guy, he couldn't help himself."

In the previous interview session, intrepid UConn beat writer
John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant asked Macy about this particular philosophy. Her answer mirrored her team's defense from Sunday night. A complete 'F.'

"You'd have to describe where they were standing," Macy said, feigning ignorance. "I'm not even sure.""

[LINK] to full story.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We should get our own.

secretservice.jpg

Reaction Score
Well, they look a bit more polished ...kinda like our team!

Here's the actual crew:
Bodyguards_3.jpg

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
From Mike DiMauro's article today

In the previous interview session, intrepid UConn beat writer
John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant asked Macy about this particular philosophy. Her answer mirrored her team's defense from Sunday night. A complete 'F.'

"You'd have to describe where they were standing," Macy said, feigning ignorance. "I'm not even sure.""

[LINK] to full story.

In the words of the great Delbert McClinton song.."If ya can't lie no better... if ya can't lie no better.. if ya can't lie no better than THAT .. ya might as well tell the truth!";)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I think I got a better idea, spawned from another one of the very nice threads currently on the front page. Next year when ECU comes to Gampel, let's have "guest bodyguards" for the Huskies. I nominated Heather Buck and Jimmy Bennett, and (given the nightmares she's given ECU this year) Kiah Stokes.

Actually, we could make this an annual thing for when ECU comes to town - guest bodyguards, featuring prominent alums with defensive skills, mixed with random fans, with their seat numbers drawn from a hat. I could see Kelly Faris, with some cute 9-year old kid, and one of our "blue-haired grammies" forming an impenetrable barricade - particularly if grammy has her "A-game scowl" working that day.:cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And a great way to develop assistants and boost morale. Assign people who are in your program to do something that they know is meaningless. This charade was more disrespectful to her own program than it was to UConn. Geno doesn't give a flying fig about this kind of crap.

Reaction Score
I think I got a better idea, spawned from another one of the very nice threads currently on the front page. Next year when ECU comes to Gampel, let's have "guest bodyguards" for the Huskies. I nominated Heather Buck and Jimmy Bennett, and (given the nightmares she's given ECU this year) Kiah Stokes.

Actually, we could make this an annual thing for when ECU comes to town - guest bodyguards, featuring prominent alums with defensive skills, mixed with random fans, with their seat numbers drawn from a hat. I could see Kelly Faris, with some cute 9-year old kid, and one of our "blue-haired grammies" forming an impenetrable barricade - particularly if grammy has her "A-game scowl" working that day.:cool:

Ha! That's great, however, I'm thinking that Geno may not share our enthusiasm.

So, expanding, how about we get the boosters to secure the 12 seats directly behind the ECU bench and give them to the 12 best bodyguard-dressed students, sunglasses required, that show up for the game. Then, at every time-out, they stand and assume the mannequin-like bodyguard position until the time-outs are over. :cool:

Reaction Score
Here is part of Jim Fuller's article today titled: Hustle play speaks volumes about UConn and East Carolina, which you can read in its entirety [HERE].

"I can't recall ever being most disgusted at what I witnessed than last night. It seems as if the East Carolina coaching staff was more interested in complaining about calls in the final couple of minutes or using team personnel to block the UConn staff to see what they were doing during timeouts than it was preparing a team to play a game. The idea that UConn, winners of nine national championships and the best winning percentage in women's collegiate basketball history, would be trying to pick up pointers from the geniuses on the other sideline is laughable. About the only lessons that could possibly be learned by listening in on their huddle is how to instruct players how not to defend and how not to compete. The people who came out to Mohegan Sun Arena, the American Athletic Conference and the sport of women's basketball deserve better than what transpired yesterday."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Was it that bad? I watched it on TV and thought ECU competed well in the 2nd half. They were hitting shots they were missing in the 1st half...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ECU definitely was using the "physical" defense on UCONN. If that's the best they can do, its a shame.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
ECU's defense was doing a fair amount of grabbing at times to try to contain Stewie, but overall there did not seem to be much effort exerted at guarding the paint or getting back after one of the many turnovers. Most of their effort was on offense where they had a decent effort, getting 14 offensive rebounds and shooting a little better than UConn's opponents usually do.

Reaction Score
This game reminded me of the old Big East battles with Boston College back in the day. Ditto Miami. Damn my age is showing....

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Geez, I'm hopin' a copy of this gets back to ECU - then their head coach can call CViv for pointers on how to through a hissy fit at a media member.

mr006

Reaction Score
Reminds me of a NCAA game at Harbor Yard a while back - Andy Landers, I think it was. They were camped out in the middle of the court (complete with chairs, IIRC) during timeouts. Any further and they would have at the baseball field :D. And no, it didn't help them, either.

JS

Reaction Score
A bit harsh.

1. Don't know why UConn should care about the huddle-screening antics.
2. They probably developed that tactic for use in other, more competitive games and were just being consistent.
3. Or they're raving paranoids who may or may not have real enemies.
4. The shielders have to feel a little silly. Kind of like cops who went to police academy in order to apprehend bad guys and ended up like this.

image.jpg

5. Don't know why UConn should care.

Reaction Score
4. Those guys have to feel a little silly. Kind of like cops who went to police academy in order to apprehend bad guys and ended up . . .

Yeah the other way to look at this is that Macy didn't want those guys in the huddle. :)

I don't think UConn did care. It was just odd and something you don't normally see so a legitimate question by a reporter.

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Here is part of his article today titled: Hustle play speaks volumes about UConn and East Carolina, which you can read in its entirety [HERE].

On the more positive side of Jim's column, that little drama involving Stewie, Morgan, MoJeff, and KML was a quinitessential moment of Uconn Women's basketball. I was watching a recording of the game last night and gasped at the hustle and athleticism those four. I paused and rewound that sequence and called to my wife to see. "Oh, another memorable UConn moment?" she asked. Well, she was impressed. Even for our gals it was impressive and, yes, memorable. Talent sure helps, but try to dredge up a moment like that for any other team. Bet you can't. And we were up over 40 points then! UConn-- making the incredible ordinary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
On the more positive side of Jim's column, that little drama involving Stewie, Morgan, MoJeff, and KML was a quinitessential moment of Uconn Women's basketball. I was watching a recording of the game last night and gasped at the hustle and athleticism those four. I paused and rewound that sequence and called to my wife to see. "Oh, another memorable UConn moment?" she asked. Well, she was impressed. Even for our gals it was impressive and, yes, memorable. Talent sure helps, but try to dredge up a moment like that for any other team. Bet you can't. And we were up over 40 points then! UConn-- making the incredible ordinary.
Exactly what I did myself. Despite the score and lack of competition, there were many beautiful basketball plays on display yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom