"The Basketball World At Her Feet" | The Boneyard

"The Basketball World At Her Feet"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually FIBA says its "the whole world" that is at Paige's feet. Little hyperbole perhaps, but this is a big article about her staying true to herself. Nice piece. Good pictures.

Bueckers: Balling before social media, the UConn legacy, learning from Taurasi and Irving

"Right now, the Minnesota native is only 17-years-old and yet has more than 100,000 followers on Instagram, with the added kudos of the verified 'blue tick' for good measure.

However, she is acutely aware of a concern within the sport that some young players are in danger of getting famous before they have any kind of resume or basketball pedigree.

"That is exactly it right there. One of my biggest aims is to get neither complacent or have a sense of entitlement - I can't allow any kind of fame or attention affect me," said Bueckers.

"I have done a lot of things as a young player and as I get older, I want to keep doing more things and to be successful. Staying humble is one of my aims, because whatever is happening on social media, I don't want my game to ever go backwards."

Reaction Score
She doesn’t look like your standard issue jock. In fact, in a team photo you probably would select her as the least likely MVP candidate. Buff she’s not. To play for virtually any other school would reduce the pressure she would face coming out of high school. But meeting challenges—UConn, Geno, Chris challenge—is what separates the great from the good. I suspect we are looking at the edge of great.

Reaction Score
She doesn’t look like your standard issue jock. In fact, in a team photo you probably would select her as the least likely MVP candidate. Buff she’s not. To play for virtually any other school would reduce the pressure she would face coming out of high school. But meeting challenges—UConn, Geno, Chris challenge—is what separates the great from the good. I suspect we are looking at the edge of great.

Seems to play like Skylar Diggins-Smith: great pull-up jump shot in the middle of the lane.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I remember reading a quote by Kiah Stokes about freshman Breanna Stewart. It was along the lines of she doesn't look like she would play very well, but when she gets on the court your opinion changes quickly. Paige is in fine company.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paige won’t get a big head because (1) her parents raised her right and (2) Geno will tell her about every mistake she makes. “Sue Bird wouldn’t do that.”
"Worst point guard in America"
"Hey Shea are you teaching these guys anything?"
"I got the wrong player"

FWIW, she does have kind of a Sue Bird, "sweet kid next door off the court, assassin on the court" vibe about her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Worst point guard in America"
"Hey Shea are you teaching these guys anything?"
"I got the wrong player"

FWIW, she does have kind of a Sue Bird, "sweet kid next door off the court, assassin on the court" vibe about her.
Plus, Paige has a little attitude like Sue’s pet GOAT.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Plus, Paige has a little attitude like Sue’s pet GOAT.

Meaning she has a touch of what Dee has in spades? I want her to have huge dollop of that ... and she may just have it. Even now, when she walks on the court she assumes the court boss mantle, it is a given, and it sticks.

Reaction Score
Actually FIBA says its "the whole world" that is at Paige's feet. Little hyperbole perhaps, but this is a big article about her staying true to herself. Nice piece. Good pictures.

Bueckers: Balling before social media, the UConn legacy, learning from Taurasi and Irving

"Right now, the Minnesota native is only 17-years-old and yet has more than 100,000 followers on Instagram, with the added kudos of the verified 'blue tick' for good measure.

However, she is acutely aware of a concern within the sport that some young players are in danger of getting famous before they have any kind of resume or basketball pedigree.

"That is exactly it right there. One of my biggest aims is to get neither complacent or have a sense of entitlement - I can't allow any kind of fame or attention affect me," said Bueckers.

"I have done a lot of things as a young player and as I get older, I want to keep doing more things and to be successful. Staying humble is one of my aims, because whatever is happening on social media, I don't want my game to ever go backwards."

The paragraph starting" " she is acutely aware" show a nice kid but if she want to be a Geno Fav or to emulate DT--arrogance and huge ego with game to back it up is more to Geno's liking. DT and Sveta and maybe eventually Stew knew how great they were and showed it on the court.
I like this kid but Humble is only for those who must be.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
"and also a deep appreciation of what has went before at the iconic program." Feeble, FIBA.

@Dokey: One of the things I find fascinating about her is how she looks so "normal," so nondescript athletically.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The 2020 starting lineup is easier to predict than the 2019.

Barring unusual circumstances, Paige starts with CW, ONO, EW and Megan. That is no disrespect to this years freshmen. Paige is just that good.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Barring unusual circumstances, Paige starts with CW, ONO, EW and Megan. That is no disrespect to this years freshmen. Paige is just that good.
I’m not so sure about that. You are suggesting a lineup of three small guards (under 6-0) with Megan as the “4”. I don’t think that provides enough rebounding support behind ONO, and it forces Megan to play inside where she can’t take proper advantage of her 3-point shot.

Both next year and the following year, I would expect a taller player to start rather than a third guard, which means that backcourt minutes for two positions would be up for grabs among three very good guards. I think Megan will play at the “3” position in both years.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Sorry .. Aubrey Griffin will start and lead the team in scoring .. I've been involved in girls' hoops since the late 70s as a parent and AAU coach

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sorry .. Aubrey Griffin will start and lead the team in scoring .. I've been involved in girls' hoops since the late 70s as a parent and AAU coach
What does that last sentence have to do with Griffin starting. I was involved with girls and women's hoops since the 70's as a parent and coach. What is the connection?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I’m not so sure about that. You are suggesting a lineup of three small guards (under 6-0) with Megan as the “4”. I don’t think that provides enough rebounding support behind ONO, and it forces Megan to play inside where she can’t take proper advantage of her 3-point shot.

Both next year and the following year, I would expect a taller player to start rather than a third guard, which means that backcourt minutes for two positions would be up for grabs among three very good guards. I think Megan will play at the “3” position in both years.
I get the size and rebounding issue. Bueckers is that good and of the other four, three are multi year starters and the other a top ranked transfer. I can't see any of the other four not starting either. It is more of statement about the talent Bueckers brings to the team.

Reaction Score
Meaning she has a touch of what Dee has in spades? I want her to have huge dollop of that ... and she may just have it. Even now, when she walks on the court she assumes the court boss mantle, it is a given, and it sticks.

Remember she was playing with Howard who is 2 years ahead of her. At that age 2 years is huge.

I suspect that Geno's ire towards her will be about her defense and the line will be "Someone call DT and tell her she is no longer the worst defender in UConn history".

Reaction Score
What does that last sentence have to do with Griffin starting. I was involved with girls and women's hoops since the 70's as a parent and coach. What is the connection?

Reaction Score
The connection IS [drum roll please] I have seen the best up close over many years and i m able to judge talent when I see it. I coached for the Liberty Belles whose alums included Chamique, Sue Bird, Shay Doron, Tina Charles, my All-NY-City daughter among others. I know talent when I see it and as my pal superscout Joe Smith used to say, "Bring your game; not your name" AG will lead the Huskies next year in scoring, eh?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, Rocky, Paige has 'tude. Between her skills and demeanor, she is very similar to Diana. People with names like Auriemma and Lawson think that. Paige could be our best recruit under 6' ever--even better than Sue or Moriah.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The connection IS [drum roll please] I have seen the best up close over many years and i m able to judge talent when I see it. I coached for the Liberty Belles whose alums included Chamique, Sue Bird, Shay Doron, Tina Charles, my All-NY-City daughter among others. I know talent when I see it and as my pal superscout Joe Smith used to say, "Bring your game; not your name" AG will lead the Huskies next year in scoring, eh?
She may be talented enough to start but, will she get enough playing time to lead the team in scoring?

Reaction Score
I just feel that Aubrey has so many different ways to score inside and outside and she is capable of putting up big numbers esp in transition .. hey, I could be wrong .. believe it or not I've been wrong before! haha
btw .. if u r truly donalddoowop pls listen to a few tunes on my website www.nydoowop.com

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She may be talented enough to start but, will she get enough playing time to lead the team in scoring?

That will be CW and Megan's job with Paige assisting all over the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom