The Baby-Face Killer Speaks... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Baby-Face Killer Speaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
... first as a freshman, then as a sophomore. Her first 3 years have flown by. And she's been simply extraordinary. Old stuff, but for those who have not yet seen it- vintage Moriah.

Vintage Moriah is right!! I recently watched You Tube clips of Moriah while she was in high school. Ho hum. She's doing the same things now, as she was back then. The only difference being she's now doing them on a higher level, and (at times) on national television.

Speed kills. Meighan Simmons (Tennessee) had the same problem when she was a freshman. At times, she also played too fast. Both of these ladies had to learn how to harness and control their speed. Moriah has learned when turn on the after burners, and when to lay back. She has learned how to play under control. Moriah has become very adapt at stealing passes in the passing lanes.

Obviously her confidence level is through the roof. These last three years has taught her how to attack and read defenses. She has also learned (mastered) how to play defense the way Geno likes and expects it to be played. There's no need to warn other teams of her prowess on the court. They all know what she can do.

They watch UConn games on TV like we do. If they don't, they can check with South Carolina (1 vs 2, the biggest and most anticipated game of the year last season in WCBB). The television ratings for that game were reported as being unusually high (the majority of WCBB fans across the country tuned in). She pulled out her entire bag of tricks (moves) on them. The look on some of the SC player's faces on the bench towards the end of the game said it all. Looks of bewilderment, amazement, and unbelief. You could read their faces like a book: "We're getting our butts kicked, and there's nothing we can do about it".

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How does Moriah rank in comparison with UConn PG's of the past: Jenn, Sue, Renee, etc.

I abstain voting until end of upcoming season.

I share your sentiments. I'll also wait until the end of next season. But I will go on record right now and say that if UConn wins their 11th NC next year, Moriah shoots to the TOP of that list. As the years go by, she may be joined by 1 or 2 others (there's not a lot of room for a group of people at the top of a pyramid, or peak), but never supplanted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue stands out for her three point shooting and assist totals. Moriah for her assist/TO ratio and her shooting percentages as well as her speed and thrill factor.

Moriah stands at 456 assists so if she records 192 this coming year she will tie DT for th Uconn record. Last year she had 191, as a soph she had 195, so the record should be within her wheelhouse. If she continues here current rate of assists and TOs she will end near 3.0 which is way better than any of the 'great' Uconn PGs. And if she continues her scoring trend she will end her career averaging about 10.0 ppg. For her three years as a starter her teams will likely have the best three year scoring avg. the best defensive avg. and the highest MOV as well as the best w/l percentage.

Definitely an solid argument for best ever.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah is a better defender than most guards. Much better.

Who is the best player ever at 5'7" and under? Is Moriah close?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Moriah stands at 456 assists so if she records 192 this coming year she will tie DT for th Uconn record. Last year she had 191, as a soph she had 195, so the record should be within her wheelhouse.

As Diana's legendary career was winding down, she was close to the UConn scoring record. then held by Nykesha Sales. Diana's teammates knew this and wanted her to have this special record,
They were prepared to help her score enough points to claim the UConn caree scoring record.

Diana demurred, but allowed that she would like to earn the career assist record as her UConn legacy. Which, as we know, she did.

Tells you something about Diana.

Now, if Moriah overtakes Diana, she should beam with pride from Storrs to Texas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sales has the team record for steals I believe and Moriah will not catch her, but she should be first among the guards, and her field goal percentage will likely be around .560 which will also be tops for the guards under discussion. The only wing/guard ahead of her for yearly or career percentage will be her coach Shea.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how about minutes played... is she doing this with the least minutes played of the current greats

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue as a senior played about 1180 minutes and as a soph about 1050, as a junior she played around 940 (34 games). Moriah as a soph was at about 1180 and a junior 1120. Sue only played 8 games as a freshman before injury, moriah had 680 minutes in 39 games (2 starts)
So minutes per game are comparable, but Sue missed most of her freshman year and played only 34 games her junior year. Moriah has played 39 or 40 each year. This actually hurts Moriah's averages as she was not that impressive as a freshman. Since then she has shot .575 and .587, but her freshman year at .424 pulls her average down to .547, still pretty impressive when you consider the great Bird shot .481 for her career and 'only' .505 and .502 as senior and sophomore respectively. Moriah's three point percentage last year of .496 compares to Sues best of .497 sue making 72 to Moriah's 56.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I honestly feel like Moriah is and will be a better player than Sue Bird....although they're at different points in their basketball career, I'd have to vote for Moriah....her quickness along with her defensive prowess, not to mention her budding offensive game is too much to handle in the college game right now. I have to give props when they're due and Moriah's continued improvement has been a key in keeping UCONN successful, without Moriah, I don't think the UCONN machine runs as smoothly....JMO!

AVF - I don't have much memory when it comes to remembering what schools recruited which players. Do you recall whether or not Tennessee actively recruited her, and if so, whether she had the Lady Vols as a real possibility?

Triad and any of our Baylor friends - if you are reading this, same question applies to Duke and Lady Bears.

Reaction Score
A bit harsh.

I suggest that a strong case could be made for Irish men of letters. My trifecta for greatest of the 20th century would be poet, William Butler Yeats; novelist, James Joyce; and playwright, George Bernard Shaw.

All Irish.

OK, pick a country and name your contenders. And puh-leeze, spare me Ernest Hemingway.:rolleyes:

Actually, you almost had it right, Yeats, Joyce but substitute Synge for Shaw to capture true Irish flavor.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I believe Sue's finalists were UConn/Stanford and Vandy.

Reaction Score
AVF - I don't have much memory when it comes to remembering what schools recruited which players. Do you recall whether or not Tennessee actively recruited her, and if so, whether she had the Lady Vols as a real possibility?

Triad and any of our Baylor friends - if you are reading this, same question applies to Duke and Lady Bears.

I dont remember Moriah and Tenn ever being mentioned when it came to her recruitment.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Actually, you almost had it right, Yeats, Joyce but substitute Synge for Shaw to capture true Irish flavor.

I was disappointed that no one made a case for American playwrights Inge or Miller. And Conrad Aiken, Emily Dickenson, and Carl Sandburg. Even (mischievously perhaps) Ogden Nash or Oscar Hammerstein. Harper Lee and J.D. Salinger just didn't churn out enough words to compete with Joyce.

I am reminded of an interview that Johnny Carson once had with Truman Capote. Johnny asked Tru for his opinion of the writing of the then biggest novelist of the day (Harold Robbins IIRC). Capote arched his eyebrow and scolded Carson:
"Johnny, that's not writing, , , It's typing!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer