The Athletic - Stephon Castle #1 frosh | The Boneyard

The Athletic - Stephon Castle #1 frosh

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The list is a little odd IMO. Maybe they were trying to go with some sleepers, but Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner, Cadeau, etc should be higher up imo.

Reaction Score
And at the time he was ranked about 40th.
Confirmed. I love how this staff targers risers.

Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 11.17.35 AM.png

Reaction Score
The list is a little odd IMO. Maybe they were trying to go with some sleepers, but Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner, Cadeau, etc should be higher up imo.
I'm not a big fan of DJ Wagner's game. He reminds me of a skinnier slightly less explosive version of his dad. I might be a bit biased because I never liked his dad's game but the son strikes me as another ball dominant smallish high volume low percentage scorer. I think he's one of those guys who was so much better than everyone at a young age and the other players catch up to him with some passing him. Similar to his dad.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of DJ Wagner's game. He reminds me of a skinnier slightly less explosive version of his dad. I might be a bit biased because I never liked his dad's game but the son strikes me as another ball dominant smallish high volume low percentage scorer. I think he's one of those guys who was so much better than everyone at a young age and the other players catch up to him with some passing him. Similar to his dad.
I’ve watched him a few times. Definitely less explosive, but he has significantly higher PG/lead guard skills. He’s certainly not as much of a chucker as his pops. But he doesn’t have as much of the scoring upside. I think he’s gonna be very good.

Reaction Score
“We’re super close, that’s probably been my biggest mentor since I’ve been here. Just learning the game, picking his brain on some stuff. He’s an older guy so it’s been easy to pick his brain,” Castle said. “Probably the biggest piece (of advice) is just staying composed. If you watch Tristen you can see how composed he is on the court, he never gets rattled. Just being able to read defenses, he knows that I can read the defense so just staying composed has been the main thing that he’s given me.”

Alternate access:
Touted freshman Stephon Castle eager to learn from UConn’s veterans

caw

Reaction Score
Confirmed. I love how this staff targers risers.

View attachment 92279

For the other four:
Solo Ball committed 7/1/22. Was around 88th, ended at 44, peaked at 33
Jaylin Stewart committed 9/16/2022. Was around 79th, ended at 56, peaked at 50
Jayden Ross committed 6/27/2022. Was around 136th, ended at 113, peaked at 105
Youssef Singare committed 9/21/2022. Was around 120 (Just jumped from 185 the rating before) ended at 139, peaked at 119

So only Singare dropped from when they committed and he had just made a huge jump, so there was some correction.

For the two from 2024, Nowell is moving up steadily since his commit (he also made a pretty big jump right before he committed from around 45 to 36). Abraham actually had a pretty big drop on 247 (from around 50-60 to mid-70's) and has been pretty steady since.

Reaction Score
“We’re super close, that’s probably been my biggest mentor since I’ve been here. Just learning the game, picking his brain on some stuff. He’s an older guy so it’s been easy to pick his brain,” Castle said. “Probably the biggest piece (of advice) is just staying composed. If you watch Tristen you can see how composed he is on the court, he never gets rattled. Just being able to read defenses, he knows that I can read the defense so just staying composed has been the main thing that he’s given me.”

Alternate access:
Touted freshman Stephon Castle eager to learn from UConn’s veterans

I heard steph speak a few times, but in smaller bursts. This was a 10 min interview, and he had some great answers to the questions. I liked hearing him talk about how he wants passing to be the main part of his game, along with grabbing rebounds and starting the break.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I heard steph speak a few times, but in smaller bursts. This was a 10 min interview, and he had some great answers to the questions. I liked hearing him talk about how he wants passing to be the main part of his game, along with grabbing rebounds and starting the break.
Think his game will be a lot like SGA… can score when he wants and be the best player on the court. But can be a great playmaker still to go with it. Which the scoring should help him do.

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to Cade Cunningham when watching and reading about Castle. Cant wait to see him play but I really do think he has all american this potential

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom