The Antichrist cutting more heads | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Antichrist cutting more heads

Reaction Score
Not sure what you are trying to prove or have against Disney but you are wrong. Yes their recent movies have done poorly but they are not losing money. This is from 2022.

Then what’s your theory as to why they just went scorched-earth on basically all their top ESPN talent? Namely in-game announcers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then what’s your theory as to why they just went scorched-earth on basically all their top ESPN talent? Namely in-game announcers?
They said it was to save money. It’s just business.

Reaction Score
They said it was to save money. It’s just business.
But why JVG Breen an Jackson? I get that people probably aren’t watching talking head shows as much but their live game cast?

Reaction Score
But why JVG Breen an Jackson? I get that people probably aren’t watching talking head shows as much but their live game cast?
They probably make too much money (according to the bean-counters that do the lists). Most companies ascribe to the adage that no one is irreplaceable.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that there are very few analysts who make people more likely to watch a live game. People are there for the game and so long as the PbP and color people meet some minimum skill-level they're all pretty interchangeable, at least to me.

Reaction Score
They probably make too much money (according to the bean-counters that do the lists). Most companies ascribe to the adage that no one is irreplaceable.
I wonder how much the talking heads on FS1 are making, because nobody has gotten fired there (except some unceremonious departure of Cris Carter) going back to ~2016 when they started their current lineup of shows with undisputed and first things first, and therefore they presumably don’t make too much. And again, why fire everyone at ESPN and instead just cut their checks? Let them take their talents elsewhere if they feel like they can make more elsewhere.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wonder how much the talking heads on FS1 are making, because nobody has gotten fired there (except some unceremonious departure of Cris Carter) going back to ~2016 when they started their current lineup of shows with undisputed and first things first, and therefore they presumably don’t make too much. And again, why fire everyone at ESPN and instead just cut their checks? Let them take their talents elsewhere if they feel like they can make more elsewhere.
You are assuming these people would take pay cuts. Why would you agree to just cut your salary when you're making seven figures? To save your job when there are other networks who will likely pay you more than a slashed salary at ESPN? The talent that was cut were making seven figures. The part that makes me scratch my head is that they are still paying them but I believe someone said that this allows ESPN to not have to pay the whole.contract when that person finds a new job.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My theory is that Disney is regretting purchasing ESPN and that side of the business is bleeding money unlike the rest of the company. In order to stop the bleeding, you cut the top earners that won't completely destroy your product.

I saw recently that ESPN+ is growing in subscribers and that's where there money is. None of those big names that were cut are big players in the streaming arena, minus Van Gundy and his color commentary. If someone can call a game well and have a serviceable color commentator who knows their stuff and get them on the cheap, it's a win for ESPN+.

Reaction Score
My theory is that Disney is regretting purchasing ESPN and that side of the business is bleeding money unlike the rest of the company. In order to stop the bleeding, you cut the top earners that won't completely destroy your product.

I saw recently that ESPN+ is growing in subscribers and that's where there money is. None of those big names that were cut are big players in the streaming arena, minus Van Gundy and his color commentary. If someone can call a game well and have a serviceable color commentator who knows their stuff and get them on the cheap, it's a win for ESPN+.
ESPN is a big part of Disneys net income. It probably has made them back multiple times more than what they paid for it. They ain't regretting nothing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Almost every talking head on sports TV is overpaid. They're all replaceable.

With social media, podcasts, twitter and everyrhing else, fans can get all the information and analysis from a dozen different sources.

Scarcity of information and gatekeeper is dead.

Look at posters on this board and see how many times people say they mute the TV.

Reaction Score

Not a chance. ESPN has minted them money for decades. They love the business. It also brings in a ton of revenue. Issue is cost control and arrogance.

They scoffed at streaming. They scoffed at Amazon getting one Thursday night game. They just have been impossible adapting to new landscape.

They also are getting away from news, and are more tv shows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom