The Antichrist cutting more heads

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Mcshay got whacked, always like him

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Remember how cool that place used to be? I knew a guy who worked there as an accountant, he used to have a blast working at the worldwide leader in sports. Too bad they’ve changed so much, those old commercials were the best.

Reaction Score
Thats what they get for hiring a Grad from Syracuse to run the company. Kidding mostly. I know most of those guys are well of financially but still sucks. This looks like a plus for fox and cbs

Reaction Score
As head scrathing as some of these moves are... some of the behind the scenes cuts have been much more unfathomable. Until you realize it's only about money. Just like any other business.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They laid off 2/3 of their national AM commute show. What is their plan? Am I going to get in the car and hear Jason Williams arguing with himself? Max Kellerman was like 30% of their programming?!

Reaction Score
As head scrathing as some of these moves are... some of the behind the scenes cuts have been much more unfathomable. Until you realize it's only about money. Just like any other business.

If it don't make $ it don't make sense.

Unfortunate - but listenership is down and the advertisers cut radio before anything else when there is any sort of uncertainty.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This stinks for all involved and us living in CT likely know at least one person affected by these cuts. However, when these networks are shelling out billion dollar contracts to college conferences and professional leagues, something needs to give somewhere. I also think the days of all day sports networks, or any type of specialized networks, are going away. Now you can watch what you want on demand through Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.... Unless it's live sports, how many people are actually watching whatever is on at 1:00 on ESPN? How many people actually watch SportsCenter vs the highlights that show up as a notification on their phone from the ESPN app?

Reaction Score
This stinks for all involved and us living in CT likely know at least one person affected by these cuts. However, when these networks are shelling out billion dollar contracts to college conferences and professional leagues, something needs to give somewhere. I also think the days of all day sports networks, or any type of specialized networks, are going away. Now you can watch what you want on demand through Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.... Unless it's live sports, how many people are actually watching whatever is on at 1:00 on ESPN? How many people actually watch SportsCenter vs the highlights that show up as a notification on their phone from the ESPN app?
I say it’s mostly because of Disney losing hundreds of millions on horrible movie/streaming revenue over the last few years, downstream effects of lost park revenue, and more recently the epic failure of the Star Wars hotel that’s now shut down. TV analyst talent is endless. They’ll find new faces. Tons of ex-athletes want to get into broadcasting.

Reaction Score
I say it’s mostly because of Disney losing hundreds of millions on horrible movie/streaming revenue over the last few years, downstream effects of lost park revenue, and more recently the epic failure of the Star Wars hotel that’s now shut down. TV analyst talent is endless. They’ll find new faces. Tons of ex-athletes want to get into broadcasting.
I’m pretty sure Disney’s had profits for decades. At least since they bought CapCities (who owned ABC, and 80% of ESPN) in 1996.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Sad but probably true.
I struggle with how often players move in the NBA. It's hard to build any kind of loyalty to a team when the roster constantly turns over.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I can't say these on air personalities are must-listen/must-see radio/tv. Even SVP - their supposed top dog - is boring to me. I never listen to or watch any of their non-live sports programming. Anyone have any must-listen/must-see shows on their list?

Reaction Score
Honestly, I can't say these on air personalities are must-listen/must-see radio/tv. Even SVP - their supposed top dog - is boring to me. I never listen to or watch any of their non-live sports programming. Anyone have any must-listen/must-see shows on their list?
The only show I care about is Pardon The Interruption. I stopped watching Sportscenter long ago and I don’t think SVP or Greenberg are anything special.

Reaction Score
ESPN is cutting some of their best on air talent. Unfortunately, ESPN has been over paying for on air talent. Who was ESPN bidding against to keep most of their talent? For example, Kellerman and Johnson were each making $5 million per year. Does anybody think they can make that kind of money anyplace else?

ESPN was printing money for years due to the cable bundle and expense control was not a focus and those days are over. What we don't know is what does this mean for the future value of league and conference contracts as cord cutting continues?

Reaction Score
I think if you look at espn's behavior in contracts they've been routinely afraid that some upstart will come in destroy them. That's why you hand out such contracts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I see ESPN's move as being a recognition that the business of the broadcast of college sports is becoming commoditized. Under those circumstances you're on air talent really doesn't bring any significant value to the bottom line.

Reaction Score
Is this a result of the ESPN product? Or collateral damage of trying to afford paying for the conference fees to broadcast?

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Disney’s had profits for decades. At least since they bought CapCities (who owned ABC, and 80% of ESPN) in 1996.
They’re losing profits of hundreds of millions with few exceptions on every one of their big movies since Avengers Endgame. Steaming shows have universally flopped to varying degrees, and they are losing subscribers. Reduced park revenues and a failed hotel. Of course, ESPN now has good competition as a contributor; but it’s certainly bigger than ESPN.

If they thought they were simply overpaying tv people they would just pay them less or stop giving them raises. They are going scorched-earth with nearly their entire set of top talent.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They’re losing profits of hundreds of millions with few exceptions on every one of their big movies since Avengers Endgame. Steaming shows have universally flopped to varying degrees, and they are losing subscribers. Reduced park revenues and a failed hotel. Of course, ESPN now has good competition as a contributor; but it’s certainly bigger than ESPN.

If they thought they were simply overpaying tv people they would just pay them less or stop giving them raises. They are going scorched-earth with nearly their entire set of top talent.
Not sure what you are trying to prove or have against Disney but you are wrong. Yes their recent movies have done poorly but they are not losing money. This is from 2022.

Disney net income for the twelve months ending March 31, 2023 was $4.121B, a 55.45% increase year-over-year. Disney annual net income for 2022 was $3.145B, a 57.64% increase from 2021.
  • Disney net income for the quarter ending March 31, 2023 was $1.271B, a 170.43% increase year-over-year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom