The all Connecticut backfield | The Boneyard

The all Connecticut backfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This could be one of the most important developments in UConn football history.

I know there are folks who think that geography is an unimportant consideration in building a football team. They have posted that if good players come from New Jersey or Alaska, that is the only thing that counts.

I disagree with the thinking in the second paragraph. Here's why. If the backfield combination of Cochrane, Osiecki and DeLorenzo ever led us to a win, the Connecticut media would explode. If they led us to a BE title, it would be the biggest thing in the state since, I dunno, the '99 national championship or since that guy hid the state charter in a big oak tree.

It would provide a connection between the football team and the state. Pride would swell. Merchandise would fly off shelves. Seats would fill.

It could happen. And it would be a much bigger deal than a QB from Mass, a RB from New York, and a fullback from Maryland accomplishing the same goals. Or any combination of states that you can conceive. Word.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The CT media is small time. If anything, shoot for the NY media.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It could happen. And it would be a much bigger deal than a QB from Mass, a RB from New York, and a fullback from Maryland accomplishing the same goals. Or any combination of states that you can conceive. Word.

Wait a minute, are you suggesting that if its a toss up between a CT athlete and an out of state athlete that the job should be given to the CT athlete because he's from here?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So let's hope that, some day, they are the best options at their respective positions. Because if they aren't, then... this makes no sense.

Reaction Score
So let's hope that, some day, they are the best options at their respective positions. Because if they aren't, then... this makes no sense.

There's no reason not to assume that DeLorenzo isn't behind McComb's and Williams (and a healthy DJ). Until he gets over his fear of contact, he will never move into the 2 deep.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Add Boyle and Newsome to that mix among a couple other guys i'm sure. Word.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I agree with Palatine on this, and I've said the same several times. And the point is not "play CT kids over out-of-state kids", the point is that there is additional value in CT kids lead UConn to a successful season. And that value is something our young football program would absolutely benefit from.

Reaction Score
Is there some value in in state kids taking us to the same place as out of place kids? Yes, there is some value. Is it nearly as important as getting the best kids and winning? Not even close.

Hoop championship starting fives:

In 1999, we started Voskuhl (TX), Freeman (MA or NJ), Hamilton (PA), El-Amin (MN) and Moore (GA). In '04, it was Gordon (NY), T. Brown (NY), D Brown (ON), Boone (MD) and Okafor (TX). In '11, we won with a real starting five (not counting Tyler's cameos at the beginning of games) of Walker (NY), Napier (MA), Smith (MD), Lamb (GA), and Oriakhi (MA). That is zero of 15 championship starters. Zero. And if you want to call Olander a starter in '11 because he did start most games without playing starters minutes, fine, you can do that. That would be 1 of 15.

Maybe Palatine can explain to me how much better off we'd been from a basketball perspective if more of these kids were CT kids, because it's not obvious to me.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
What the DanO/Chris Bellamy backfield wasn't Connecticut for you? Hehehehe... seriously it would be neat and all... and I do think it would drive interest... but so would winning a BCS game with anyone at QB and RB.

Reaction Score
I agree with Palatine on this, and I've said the same several times. And the point is not "play CT kids over out-of-state kids", the point is that there is additional value in CT kids lead UConn to a successful season. And that value is something our young football program would absolutely benefit from.

That's exactly right. That additional value is important to the development of the program.

Is there some value in in state kids taking us to the same place as out of place kids? Yes, there is some value. Is it nearly as important as getting the best kids and winning? Not even close.

Hoop championship starting fives:

In 1999, we started Voskuhl (TX), Freeman (MA or NJ), Hamilton (PA), El-Amin (MN) and Moore (GA). In '04, it was Gordon (NY), T. Brown (NY), D Brown (ON), Boone (MD) and Okafor (TX). In '11, we won with a real starting five (not counting Tyler's cameos at the beginning of games) of Walker (NY), Napier (MA), Smith (MD), Lamb (GA), and Oriakhi (MA). That is zero of 15 championship starters. Zero. And if you want to call Olander a starter in '11 because he did start most games without playing starters minutes, fine, you can do that. That would be 1 of 15.

Maybe Palatine can explain to me how much better off we'd been from a basketball perspective if more of these kids were CT kids, because it's not obvious to me.

Without Chris Smith does the program ever reach the point where that is possible?

Reaction Score
I don't think people care if the players are from Connecticut, I think they care if their play leads to wins. I couldn't care less where the players are from.

Reaction Score
I don't think people care if the players are from Connecticut, I think they care if their play leads to wins. I couldn't care less where the players are from.
Word.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Can't compare basketball to football. just different. Were a national power in bball. Were not in fball. Were trying to build to that level so every local kid means something(new fans that attend games, more eyes etc).

I'm as big here as anyone on CT kids as you guys know. But my thing is New England + NYC should be our goal of a footprint so every time another school lands a kid I take it personally.

Going back to bball for a second, theres a reason were the #1 bball team in NYC ratings and fanbase wise. Gordon, Kemba and now Omar among others from the past. The cream of the crop comes to UConn for a reason(sucess-nba-$$ etc). We need to get to that level in fball and from what I see so far PP does value that NYC recruit trail. Once we do land a couple guys, NYC is ours and we will never look back.

Things are different now with PP in CT. Enough Said. MA is also there for the taking along with the rest of New England
as well because right now BC sure as hell ain't trying to win, nows our chance. One break thru year where a qb/wr/rb combo or any type of skills combo for UConn football with ct/ne/nyc kids would be HUGE. It would be the selling point that if the best from UConns footprint all join up in the recruit class, we can be a national contender. We are on our way to that!

btw our 2011 ship team: argue it starting lineup how ever you want but 5 of the 10 that was our rotation were from "the footprint"
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel-MA
ao-MA
bazz-MA
to-CT
kemba-NYC

Reaction Score
That's exactly right. That additional value is important to the development of the program.

Without Chris Smith does the program ever reach the point where that is possible?

If Chris Smith were from PA, I don't think it would've had any bearing at all on the future of the program.

Are you saying that if Smith weren't from CT that we would've have won multiple national championships?

pj

Reaction Score
I'm with Huskyfandan, the key is building recruiting relationships. Would love to see NYC players, Mass players, NJ players seeing us as their #1/#2 destination and a place they can play with friends from their area and be followed back home with interest.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

player a- is a qb and overall you would grade a 90
player b-is a qb and overall you would grade a 90

They are the exact same player on the field down to the way they walk onto the field for warmups. So which one do you recruit or start (if your arguing 2 players here already) then? Well lets look at it deeper.

player a- is from CT. His family buys 4 seaosn tix to every game for the 4 years and now its apart of the family life and they are local fans for ever. His younger sister is 3 years younger and her #1 school for college is now UConn. 4 season tix grows to 8 with there group of friends developed over time. Atleast once a year his friends from home attend a game in a group of 10 to party and enjoy themselves and some of them get hooked on college football and become season tix holders themselves post college when they gets jobs. At the local hs he is a bit of a rock star and now kids have something to aim for (ever here the way kids talk about Lutrus?). That locker room and coaches office now becomes loyal to UConn football for life and kids in that program grow up wanting to put on for there home state. Local media can't get enough about pumping the program and the kids, its on the news at 5 in the papers, the barber shops are buzzin etc with the local talk...

player b- is from GA. His family is going to attend the USF/UCF game each year for the 4 years hes here or a GT game if were in the ACC, you get the point. His dad will lurk here on the BY but not much else to the casual fan eye. He is well respected in his hs but so are the other 12 kids going d1 so UConn gets over looked by SEC schools. Its nice to break in down there and create a connection but what was the return on that besides on the field? Once or twice during his best year as a player for UConn the local paper has a blurb on him on page 9 of the sports section after its done with all the local schools and other names that went to school closer to the hometown.

RETURN ON INVESTMENT is much higher when its a "footprint kid". Thats how you build a program from nothing to something quick and also build a loyal fanbase. RE did a ok job at it but he wasn't great at it, he was great at development of athletes. PP to me seems like the guy for this next level of UConn football, I just question a bit his on the field stuff at this point. Off the field hes getting it going. Word

Reaction Score
That's all fine and dandy, but nowhere in reality are two kids "exactly equal including how they walk onto the practice field"

The better player plays, period.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That's all fine and dandy, but nowhere in reality are two kids "exactly equal including how they walk onto the practice field"

The better player plays, period.

ok fine.

recruit a is a qb from MD has 3* and has offers from small schools and MD.
recruit b is a qb from MA has 3* and has offers from small school and BCU.

which one do you pick?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We'd all love a championship squad made up entirely of local kids. Nobody would argue or debate that... would make for a great story. But at the end of the day performance, not location, gets you on the field. So I'll root for the local kids to perform, but if someone else is outplaying them... they had better get the start.

That said it seems that P is making positive steps in local recruiting, which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
ok fine.

recruit a is a qb from MD has 3* and has offers from small schools and MD.
recruit b is a qb from MA has 3* and has offers from small school and BCU.

which one do you pick?

Whoever fits the offensive system better.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Whoever fits the offensive system better.

Fair enough, I figured I was going to get the response. I'm not a homer in the sense that I would rather have Casey at qb then Whitmer this fall. I will always #1 want the best possible player at the spot. But it starts with recruiting for this argument which is my point. If 30ish kids are coming out of the footprint a year and 20 of them fit this staffs system, i want all 20. If were after 2 rpo style qbs with same type offers then its all coaching opinion from there on what each offers pros and cons wise. But were not Florida football so landing either would be good, were in no spot to pick between the two as who is our get. I just wonder how much things carry weight in there minds as far as being local worth to the program.

Reaction Score
No 2 players are equal. It's a silly question to ask all these equal who would you take.

I want to line up the best players we can put on the field at any given time. Whether they are from CT or UT is of little concern to me. Play the best players. Win games. That's what is going to raise the profile of this program. And by the way, if Cochran, Osiecki, and DeLorenzo are the ones to do it, it's a bonus.

Play the best players to win the games. Period.

Reaction Score
If Chris Smith were from PA, I don't think it would've had any bearing at all on the future of the program.

Are you saying that if Smith weren't from CT that we would've have won multiple national championships?

Word.

(No, I was wrong. That didn't make me feel cool. Just silly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom