The ACL Injury Epidemic in Women's High School Basketball | The Boneyard

The ACL Injury Epidemic in Women's High School Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That ACL tear that every athlete fears has grown increasingly prevalent in women's sports. I thought this story was worth passing on as it highlights how serious this issue has become in women's high school basketball.

Another North Jersey girls basketball season, another string of knee surgeries
acl-story.jpg

Northern Valley at Old Tappan's Ariana Chipolone walks off the court with a full leg brace during the Bergen County girls basketball tournament at Ramapo College on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016. She tore her ACL two weeks ago.

Some players talk about a popping sound.

Then there’s the pain, of course.
But when it comes to high school girls basketball players and the dreaded ACL knee injury, there’s often one unmistakable sign that cannot be ignored.

Just listen to the scream.

“As soon as a kid goes down, there’s a scream,” said Pascack Valley high school coach Jeff Jasper. “When I hear that scream, I know we’re not dealing with a sprained ankle.

“There’s something about that scream. They’re all the same. When you hear it, you know.”

Knee injuries have been devastating girls basketball lineups in North Jersey the past few seasons. You can’t go into a gym without seeing the telltale brace on a girl’s knee or an aluminum crutch leaning against a chair on the team bench.

“I never thought it would happen to me,” said Northern Valley at Old Tappan senior guard Ariana Chipolone, a North Jersey Player of the Year candidate who tore her ACL two weeks ago.

“I’ve never even been injured before. You never, ever think this would happen to you. But as soon as I hit the floor, I knew it was my ACL and my season was over.”

Chipolone, who is scheduled for surgery on Thursday, doesn’t have to look far for empathy. Teammate Alexie Piccinich suffered her second ACL injury earlier this season, and sophomore center Alex George has returned after having the same injury last season.

There also are plenty of inspiring comeback stories across North Jersey, such as Northern Valley at Demarest junior guard Mackenzie Press and DePaul senior guard Nikki Johnson. Both missed last season rehabbing the injury and returned as effective players.

Knee injuries are the most common cause of permanent disability in female high school basketball players, according to a 2011 report in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. They account for up to 91 percent of season-ending injuries and 94 percent of injuries requiring surgery.

The same report said that in |the United States, 20,000 to 80,000 high school female athletes experience ACL injuries each year, with most occurring in soccer and basketball.

“I’ve seen it happen to eighth-graders,” said DePaul girls basketball coach David Andre. “When it happens to kids so young, it’s scary.

“I wish we could say that at places like Tennessee, Texas and UConn and Rutgers, the trainers are doing such great things that it doesn’t happen. But even at those places, places that have the best trainers and best training facilities anywhere, these injuries still happen. That’s scary.”

Safety, rule changes

Experts theorize that women and girls may be more prone to non-contact ACL injuries because they run and cut sharply in a more erect posture than males. Girls also tend to bend their knees less when landing from a jump, putting more pressure on the joints.

Studies also point to the anatomic differences between boys and girls. Girls have wider hips and a smaller notch that the ligament threads through to connect to the femur, leaving less room for movement.

Another theory is that estrogen can make tendons more relaxed and therefore more susceptible to tears. Other studies focus on overuse and specializing in only one sport.

“Safety and rule changes are the key to cutting down injuries,” said Dr. Vincent K. McInerney of St. Joseph Healthcare System in Wayne, a nationally renowned orthopedist who is the team physician for Montclair State University, the Jackals independent baseball team and 15 high schools. “We need to educate girls on how they move in space, how they run, how they jump.”

McInerney said that girls moving at high speed can’t control their knees or landing properly. He said rules on dribbling should be enforced, instead of having girls playing the power game like boys.

“They palm the ball and take three to five steps and no one calls it,” McInerney said. “We’re allowing greater acceleration, which means they are jumping higher at a greater speed and landing harder. Women’s knees are not meant to take that beating.”

Difficult recovery

The injury itself is bad. But the worst part might be the lengthy and at times torturous rehabilitation.

“It was life-changing,” said Johnson, who has a scholarship to Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C. “I was never hurt before, not even a sprained ankle. When it happened, there was no snap or anything like that.

“I just went in for a layup, a girl hit me, and I landed wrong. My knee started hurting like I bumped knees with someone. I had pain, but not pain like you see in the movies.”

Johnson said her rehab, which took six to eight months, was particularly grueling.

“I had to get my hamstring and thigh muscle working,” Johnson said. “I had to learn to walk again, to go up stairs before I could even run or pick up a basketball.”

Northern Valley at Demarest coach Jen Jurjevic said the injury can be more emotionally and mentally draining than physically challenging. Chipolone said she’s ready for just that challenge.

“It’s made me mentally stronger,” Chipolone said. “I mean, it [stinks] now, but I’m going to come back better and stronger.

“I know that mentally, if you’re out of it, if you don’t work on getting better, you’ll become depressed and it takes even longer. I have to be mentally strong to have a faster recovery.”

Chipolone went on a recruiting visit to Fordham on Monday, and Rams’ head coach Stephanie Gaitley made her feel at ease.

“It’s funny,” Chipolone said. “I walked in with the brace, and she told me half the team has had an ACL tear. It’s so common. It happens all the time.

“So I’m part of the ACL club. I never thought I’d say that, but it’s going to be OK. It’s really going to be O

Reaction Score
My daughter played H.S. basketball from 1996-2000 and I find it impossible to believe that ACL injuries today are more prevalent than they were 20 years ago. At least half of the state's elite AAU team went through the surgery. If anything, there are fewer instances today; I'm sure today's training regimens to avoid are much more sophisticated. On the college level, when was the last time a UConn athlete had an ACL tear? Caroline Doty? Before that, Shea Ralph? (admittedly, I don't remember if that was her exact injury) On the college level, this procedure seems to be much more infrequent.

Reaction Score
My daughter played H.S. basketball from 1996-2000 and I find it impossible to believe that ACL injuries today are more prevalent than they were 20 years ago. At least half of the state's elite AAU team went through the surgery. If anything, there are fewer instances today; I'm sure today's training regimens to avoid are much more sophisticated. On the college level, when was the last time a UConn athlete had an ACL tear? Caroline Doty? Before that, Shea Ralph? (admittedly, I don't remember if that was her exact injury) On the college level, this procedure seems to be much more infrequent.

I can't speak to that as I have a daughter just entering her high school years.....she has a recurring knee problem similar to Soniya Chong's and while it's frustrating it is something that can be dealt with.....her orthopedist has said numerous times that the majority of the patients he sees with serious ACL injuries are high school and college age women. I think the easiest explanation would be that there are more women playing these sports then ever before.

Reaction Score
There are training programs that minimize the chance of an ACL injury. Most trainers know the program, or you can find them on-line.

They have worked for my teams

Reaction Score
About ten years ago, the New York Times published an expose on ACL injuries amongst women basketball players. Stated that something like 10% of all intercollegiate women basketball athletes would suffer an ACL tear during their college careers. Devastating, and so sad to see these young people permanently injured. I recall Shea Ralph's saying that the pain would never disappear, and that she would never be able to exercise the way she used to.

Reaction Score

Caroline (at least twice, once in high school), Shea (at least three times, once in her pro career), Kalana Greene, I think Mel Thomas but I'm not sure, Jessica Moore (national championship game, I believe, and she played on the injury in the second half because it just didn't hurt that much and rehabbed over the off-season, so she didn't miss any games). Gabby Williams tore hers in high school.

That's just off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
Here are the statistics for the most surprising injuries affecting girls in high school: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cheerleading-safety-high-school-sports/

As you'll read, dozens of states have accorded cheerleading "sport" status in order to provide better equipment and other safety procedures to reduce the large numbers of girls who are seriously hurt each year. I was told by former cheerleaders at my university that the smallest girls are often the most vulnerable because they are the ones who get tossed around the most.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Caroline (at least twice, once in high school), Shea (at least three times, once in her pro career), Kalana Greene, I think Mel Thomas but I'm not sure, Jessica Moore (national championship game, I believe, and she played on the injury in the second half because it just didn't hurt that much and rehabbed over the off-season, so she didn't miss any games). Gabby Williams tore hers in high school.

Add Sue Bird, Morgan Tuck , Brianna Banks

Reaction Score
There are training programs that minimize the chance of an ACL injury. Most trainers know the program, or you can find them on-line.

They have worked for my teams

I absolutely agree that all schools/coaches need to institute programs to help reduce this problem. I am always amazed to watch teams run out on the court, do ten minutes of layup and shooting drills and then start right in on the game with no stretching of any kind. This is especially true during the weekend AAU tournaments where you play two/three games in one day. Weight training to strengthen the muscles around the knee is also helpful but I wonder if the majority of schools have the equipment necessary to incorporate into their practices.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that all schools/coaches need to institute programs to help reduce this problem. I am always amazed to watch teams run out on the court, do ten minutes of layup and shooting drills and then start right in on the game with no stretching of any kind. This is especially true during the weekend AAU tournaments where you play two/three games in one day. Weight training to strengthen the muscles around the knee is also helpful but I wonder if the majority of schools have the equipment necessary to incorporate into their practices.
I believe that ship has come and gone. Circa 2002-4 there were some studies and innovative people who developed a stretching & jumping curriculum to protect girls from the ACL injuries. There was actually one guy teaching girls how to jump and land differently and some other coaches that added/changed warm up routines. The positive results were few or non-existent. There was one study that actually said that there was just transference-different injuries to other body parts and ligaments. By 2006-07 I think everyone just gave up on preventive and started to focus on rehab and recovery and unfortunately I had to learn the hard way (daughter) the key to a successful ACL surgery is something the doctors have dubbed "alignment".
In the most Geekish medical terms it is explained here.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/444069_2

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I seem to remember Auriemma saying in an interview earlier this year that the trainers no longer emphasize special exercise regimens designed to reduce ACL injuries. IIRC he said that data is showing that they have proven to have minimal benefit. I think he said that they had someone on staff, I believe a kinesiologist, to teach the players movement - specifically how to avoid those ACL vulnerable movements.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Morgan's current knee issues are not ACL, but her HS was.
'Minimize' is the wrong word I think for training regimes as it overstates the potential - 'decrease' the likelihood is a better word.
One thing I think is true in the boys vs girls discussion is also weight training to strengthen muscles and create more stability - most boys in HS have done some weight training, many girls have not - cultural or just that more boys sports require specific strength so more friends are in the gym?
I think that rule changes are a figment of the imagination and a throwback to the idea that girls shouldn't really compete too hard.

The increasing numbers are I suspect a direct result of greater numbers of participating girls, and greater expectations of athletic accomplishment.

I do think 'rest and recovery' is an area to be explored along with the over concentration on a single sport and the frequency of year around games as opposed to training and practice.

Finally it is just a really complex joint and a 'poorly designed' tendon that passes through two bones that if out of alignment for a moment can act as a set of shears cutting through even the strongest ACL tendon.

On Shea and pain and training - she is an exceptional case with I believe 5 (maybe more) knee operations - no joint can stand up to that much trauma without creating lifelong pain and most people, men and women stop well short of that kind of 'abuse' to their knee. Her drive to compete was extraordinary. And her training regime, pre, during, and post surgeries has always been insane and I gather remains so regardless of how much she has changed it to adapt to her knee issues.

Reaction Score
I believe that ship has come and gone. Circa 2002-4 there were some studies and innovative people who developed a stretching & jumping curriculum to protect girls from the ACL injuries. There was actually one guy teaching girls how to jump and land differently and some other coaches that added/changed warm up routines. The positive results were few or non-existent. There was one study that actually said that there was just transference-different injuries to other body parts and ligaments. By 2006-07 I think everyone just gave up on preventive and started to focus on rehab and recovery and unfortunately I had to learn the hard way (daughter) the key to a successful ACL surgery is something the doctors have dubbed "alignment".
In the most Geekish medical terms it is explained here.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/444069_2

Hasn't come and gone. There are still preventative programs that seem to have been at least somewhat effective. There was a well-publicized paper by Dr. Kevin Shea in 2010 that questioned the effectiveness of these programs. But that was based on none of them having demonstrated a statistically significant decrease - not on proof that they don't work. He did also say that there may be some benefit to the programs:

"At this time, we do not have the highest quality research designs showing us that preventive training programs can reduce knee/ACL injuries," said Shea. "[But] that doesn't mean that these training programs do not help - I encourage my own children and my patients to be do these exercises, as the existing evidence suggests some benefit to these training programs."

Perhaps the largest study group for ACL prevention was the Santa Monica Project, which was supported by the U.S. Soccer Federation and others. Its research director was Holly Silvers, who also serves in a medical role for the U.S. women's national team. Its data showed a decreased number of ACL injuries - but not enough to "prove" that it works.

Reaction Score
Here are the statistics for the most surprising injuries affecting girls in high school: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cheerleading-safety-high-school-sports/

As you'll read, dozens of states have accorded cheerleading "sport" status in order to provide better equipment and other safety procedures to reduce the large numbers of girls who are seriously hurt each year. I was told by former cheerleaders at my university that the smallest girls are often the most vulnerable because they are the ones who get tossed around the most.

Of course, the bigger reason for making cheerleading a "sport" is to permit AD's to add more girls against the boys to keep the Title IX balance. So they don't have to add new sports or expand girls' rosters, or, heaven forbid, cut the number of boy athletes.

Reaction Score

Nicole Wolff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member