"The ACC felt Louisville was the best choice because of its "aggressive approach" to success"... | The Boneyard

"The ACC felt Louisville was the best choice because of its "aggressive approach" to success"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8685541/acc-votes-add-louisville-cardinals

Probably should say aggressive approach to athletic success, but it's hard to argue with the premise. UL has spent like a big time on athletics program and in comparison UConn looks pretty JV. Not that we haven't spent a lot of money to build The Rent and Burton, but the perception is that we just aren't as committed. The perception issue alone is what I blame Herbst and the Dunkin Donut for. They needed to be out in front of everyone of importance that would listen to them from the ACC - not soaking it up in the BVI. They needed to do what they could to alter the perception of UConn athletics in the short amount of time that they had and I haven't seen anything that shows me they tried in the least bit.

Pretty disheartening to continually lose at this game of musical chairs/conference realignment. Might be time to see what 3 martini lunches were like back in the day...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8685541/acc-votes-add-louisville-cardinals

Probably should say aggressive approach to athletic success, but it's hard to argue with the premise. UL has spent like a big time on athletics program and in comparison UConn looks pretty JV. Not that we haven't spent a lot of money to build The Rent and Burton, but the perception is that we just aren't as committed. The perception issue alone is what I blame Herbst and the Dunkin Donut for. They needed to be out in front of everyone of importance that would listen to them from the ACC - not soaking it up in the BVI. They needed to do what they could to alter the perception of UConn athletics in the short amount of time that they had and I haven't seen anything that shows me they tried in the least bit.

Pretty disheartening to continually lose at this game of musical chairs/conference realignment. Might be time to see what 3 martini lunches were like back in the day...
Disagree pretty whole heartedly. We have a top tier football facility, building a top tier basketball facility, the top women's program, a top men's program and THE the last 12 years, BCS and bowl teams in football, a top men's soccer, women's field hockey, upgraded hockey, top polo, top women's soccer. If you want tolook at why we didn't get an invite, it's not due to our success or impression of success. UConn has invested tons and has been a LOT more successful than Louisville in every measure. The analytics favor UConn as well.

There is an ACC bias against UConn and it's as simple as that.

Reaction Score
Basically Jurich did a better job of getting his talking points out than Manuel did. Forde's article is basically a Louisville talking points memo. As has been continually repeated on this board - UConn's athletic department has long sucked at PR and Marketing.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you on everything except the bias part. The perception amongst decision makers is that UL was more "aggressive" than us. Susan and Fatty McFatterson should have done everything in their power to change that perception. Maybe they both did do that, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe they did.

Reaction Score

Probably should say aggressive approach to athletic success, but it's hard to argue with the premise. UL has spent like a big time on athletics program and in comparison UConn looks pretty JV. Not that we haven't spent a lot of money to build The Rent and Burton, but the perception is that we just aren't as committed. ...

No, not just towards athletic success but also academic success. I will steal this from ajgcardman who posted this information on another board:

"Academic reputation at UofL is rapidly changing, Pete. I think you are living in yesteryear, and not aware of what's been going on at Little Brother U.

FYI, they are 15 years in from a passed State Legislature mandate to become a "Nationally-recognized Major Metropolitan Research University." They are ahead of schedule of their long-term commitment to get there. They are near 80% of their Endowment Goal of $1 Billion. On-campus housing has risen tremendously, and the average student ACT score has risen over 25%. Their ascent has been exemplary, and although they are still ranked below the other ACC institutions in the last US News Report, the Academic trend/trajectory of the University and commitment to excellence has caught the eye of the ACC.

Their ascent as an Athletic Department over the last 20 years has been unprecedented. They have literally went from a bottom-dweller DI athletic department to one solidly entrenching itself among the top 25 in the nation. If accepted into the ACC, they will immediately become the #1 Athletic Budget in the conference, and the #9 Endowment in the conference. Many outside this state have been shocked to learn of this transformation.

The next athletic investment will be the building of the nation's top soccer stadium, one that will quickly be a host to the College Cup (Soccer's Final Four). UL has already hosted the Field Hockey Final Four twice, and will host the Women's Volleyball Final Four at the YUM! later this month."

That being said guys, most of us Louisville fans were hoping we both were getting invited together. We have no bone to pick with UCONN and hopefully you guys still end up in the ACC. Still lots of changes could happen within all the conferences. It's a crazy world right now isn't it? :eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Disagree pretty whole heartedly. We have a top tier football facility, building a top tier basketball facility, the top women's program, a top men's program and THE the last 12 years, BCS and bowl teams in football, a top men's soccer, women's field hockey, upgraded hockey, top polo, top women's soccer.

True, so why couldn't our folks close the deal?

Reaction Score
No, not just towards athletic success but also academic success. I will steal this from ajgcardman who posted this information on another board:

"Academic reputation at UofL is rapidly changing, Pete. I think you are living in yesteryear, and not aware of what's been going on at Little Brother U.

FYI, they are 15 years in from a passed State Legislature mandate to become a "Nationally-recognized Major Metropolitan Research University." They are ahead of schedule of their long-term commitment to get there. They are near 80% of their Endowment Goal of $1 Billion. On-campus housing has risen tremendously, and the average student ACT score has risen over 25%. Their ascent has been exemplary, and although they are still ranked below the other ACC institutions in the last US News Report, the Academic trend/trajectory of the University and commitment to excellence has caught the eye of the ACC.

Their ascent as an Athletic Department over the last 20 years has been unprecedented. They have literally went from a bottom-dweller DI athletic department to one solidly entrenching itself among the top 25 in the nation. If accepted into the ACC, they will immediately become the #1 Athletic Budget in the conference, and the #9 Endowment in the conference. Many outside this state have been shocked to learn of this transformation.

The next athletic investment will be the building of the nation's top soccer stadium, one that will quickly be a host to the College Cup (Soccer's Final Four). UL has already hosted the Field Hockey Final Four twice, and will host the Women's Volleyball Final Four at the YUM! later this month."

That being said guys, most of us Louisville fans were hoping we both were getting invited together. We have no bone to pick with UCONN and hopefully you guys still end up in the ACC. Still lots of changes could happen within all the conferences. It's a crazy world right now isn't it? :eek:

Unprecedented ascent? Given that we were playing home games in a leaky Field House and playing bad I-AA football in Memorial Stadium in the mid 80's, I think we hold some cards in that deck.

But whatever - I don't have the energy to fight this battle if the people who get paid to fight it didn't. Game's over and we finished last.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you on everything except the bias part. The perception amongst decision makers is that UL was more "aggressive" than us. Susan and Fatty McFatterson should have done everything in their power to change that perception. Maybe they both did do that, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe they did.

I think it's clear they didn't do it. They were told they were being invited and elected not to rock the boat.

If I were on the General Assembly's Education Committee, I would demand to know what they knew that caused them to adopt this approach.

Reaction Score
I think it's clear they didn't do it. They were told they were being invited and elected not to rock the boat.

If I were on the General Assembly's Education Committee, I would demand to know what they knew that caused them to adopt this approach.

After the ACC expanded with Syracuse and Pitt, Herbst and Manuel should have drawn up plans to make sure UConn was selected next time. Like what? Football stadium expansion plans. Athletic investment plans. Academic upgrade plans. Market analysis for UConn in New England and NY markets,... Then sell for the past year to the schools that may have been skeptical like FSU, Clemson,...

Reaction Score
No offense, but academic success and trajectory clearly did not factor one iota into the decision to choose UL over Uconn.

It's all perception and how you sell it. Our guys clearly failed at this

Reaction Score
Some people seem to want to argue UConn would have been the choice if not for Louisville' agressive approach. And they want to blame the failure to get invited on the President/AD. But do people really believe that the ACC Presidents were all set on UConn until they were "convinced" by Louisville like a used car salesman pitches you to buy a car you did not want? I tend to think University presidents are way smarter than that.

I do think UConn has strong merits, but it seems that at least some *cough*BC*cough* in the ACC have significant objections. And that combined with a short football history is likely enough for now. Not because Louisville did some great sales job.

Reaction Score
UCONN is better than Louiville in every relevant category. We lost out because ACC football schools threw a hissy fit. Objectivity be damned. Nothing really we could've done from our end. It is what it is. Plus Clemson, NC St, and FSU don' t have to be the academic goobers of the ACC any longer.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
True, so why couldn't our folks close the deal?
Why don't you give Susan a call and ask. kind of a dumb question Waq - I'm not an administrator, just listing facts not fiction.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I particularly loved this quote from Swofford about the addition of Louisville:

"It's always an overall fit in every respect and I think that's what we found."

Reaction Score
I actually (foolishly) thought we were a slam dunk this time around. The ACC spread its legs on this one. They actually went against their academic profile to screw us. Louisville is ranked 162 in national universities we are 62. They are Why. Not sure. We may never know but there is a lot of smoke flying to justify it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom