The 50 Greatest Female Athletes of the Past 20 Years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The 50 Greatest Female Athletes of the Past 20 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Skyler Diggins a better athlete than Lauren Jackson? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reaction Score
Steffi Graf played in the last 25 years, I believe. My gut feeling is that she was more dominant than Sherapova. Could be wrong.
Edit: 22 Grand Slam Wins to Sherapova's 5 (Steffi had 7 in the last 25 years)
Agree! When did Sherapova actually dominate? Hardly....
It is not a beauty contest. She belongs to the 50 greatest female tennis players, but certainly not a 50 greatest female athletes in all sports caliber.

Reaction Score
it is a joke, Skylar Diggins, Carolyne Wozniaki, Natalie Gulbis/Lorena Ochoa/Liza Fernandez, Cat Osterman/Monica Abbot, and on top, Anikka Sorenstam at No,1. Some of these mentioned above was/is not even dominating in their own sport and somehow become the greatest? I especially have a problem with Skylar Diggins being listed while Maya Moore is not, or even Chamique Holdsclaw would be worthier.
In all, I would rank Judit Polar much higher than all the name that I just mentioned from this list. She was ranked No.1 women chess player from 1989 till 2015, was the only women player ever qualified for men's world tournament. she is not even on this list!
Several gymnasts are also on this list. How about Nadia Comeneci?
Skylar Diggins, Carolyne Wozniaki, Natalie Gulbis/Lorena Ochoa/Liza Fernandez, Cat Osterman/Monica Abbot, Anikka Sorenstam as No.1 , It is a joke!

Reaction Score
Maya should be in the top 20 list. I think she is the same greatest as DT.
Top 20 basketball, Yes! Top 20 in all sports, I am not so sure about either. However they are definitely much worthier than Skylar Diggins, purely from their track records.

Reaction Score
Well that was a waste of quite a few minutes!
Not sure what we are dealing with in compiling this listed but popularity and looks seems to trump actual sporting accomplishment in the compilation - love this statement In 2009, Skylar Diggins was named Indiana’s Miss Basketball, likely the biggest award given to a female high school basketball star, You think maybe one of the NPOY awards for HS women's basketball might be a little bigger, or say the awards given out in the biggest hot bed states - like TX or California even? How many NCs at any level does she have? You could come up with a dozen more accomplished women's basketball players over the last 20 years. Not meaning to pick on Skylar per se, but with this kind of selection and writing ...
Perhaps they are referring to the actual size of the award itself. lol. These people more than likely know very little about WCBB or High school basketball. Indiana just has a reputation for being a state where basketball is King. Maybe they thought it was a National Award. "Likely the biggest award given to a female highs school basketball star. Yes in the state of Indiana That is one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard in respect to WBB. They have only been giving that award since 1975 so quite a few players have one in their trophy room and most of them have never been heard from since.

Reaction Score
The article is the last 20 years. Graf and Sharapova each have 7 GS titles in the last 20 years (though Graf is one of the two greatest players of all time).

Serena has 19 GS titles in that time frame. Not sure how she could remotely be ahead of Serena for the last 20 years.
Graf dominated the sport while Sharapova has not.

Reaction Score
Lauren Jackson, Maya Moore, Chamique Holdsclaw, Siemone Augustus, Odyssey Sims, etc. etc... All basketball players with better resumes and accomplishments. Skylar is a good basketball player, but she is on the list because of sex appeal I believe.

Serena would be my number one, then Diana, Lauren, Candace and Maya would all be somewhere in the top 15.

Reaction Score
Lauren Jackson, Maya Moore, Chamique Holdsclaw, Siemone Augustus, Odyssey Sims, etc. etc... All basketball players with better resumes and accomplishments. Skylar is a good basketball player, but she is on the list because of sex appeal I believe.

Serena would be my number one, then Diana, Lauren, Candace and Maya would all be somewhere in the top 15.
Agree, Serena def should rank higher than the golf player, whether on popularity or income. For everyone who knows Annika's last name (if they even know her first name, that is), there are 100 if not 1000 who knows Serena's. But I do not know if BB warrant that many players in the top 50 atheletes from all the sports around the world. I just feel the list is too much US concentrated. If you can list any women who really competed with men and actually beaten quite a few of them, only one name would popper out, Judith Polar. She ranked as high as 8th amonst men. No other woman can say that in any sport.

Reaction Score
"Skylar is a good basketball player, but she is on the list because of sex appeal I believe."

Yes, she does know how to use the make-up. In the UConn-ND final I saw Bird, Maya have limited or no make-up. While Diggins looked like a Broadway soap star.

Reaction Score
Lots of tennis talk. My 2 cents: Monica showed that Steffi was mortal; nobody shows up Serena that way.
Finally, as a purely irrational Venus fan, I am glad that the 5-time Wimbledon champ was given her due herein.
+10000000

Reaction Score
Lots of tennis talk. My 2 cents: Monica showed that Steffi was mortal; nobody shows up Serena that way.
Finally, as a purely irrational Venus fan, I am glad that the 5-time Wimbledon champ was given her due herein.
Amen to that!

Reaction Score
Hmm, talent is a very subjective thing. I would agree that Graf is the most talented to play in the last 30, although I wonder if her talent level 1995-1999 was not somewhat diminished from what it was 1985-1995.

If she hadn't been stabbed in 1993, we could very well be talking about Monica Seles as greatest ever. She was, for pure talent, the best I've ever seen. She probably could have gone on to win 20 majors, and in doing so, probably would have limited Graf to under 20. She had 8 GS titles before her 20th birthday. She was 3-1 in GS finals against Graf before the stabbing.

Graf is still the greatest, everything considered, of all-time, with Navratilova, Evert, and Serena Williams close second.

Graf, had a tremendous forehand, backhand slice was good. Seles, had accuracy and power from both sides, which she used, to hit winners almost at will. Serena, has power from either side, hits winners from forehand and backhand. I think what separates Serena from the pack is her elite power and court coverage, not to mention the most powerful serve in the history of women's tennis.

Reaction Score
Hmm, talent is a very subjective thing. I would agree that Graf is the most talented to play in the last 30, although I wonder if her talent level 1995-1999 was not somewhat diminished from what it was 1985-1995.

If she hadn't been stabbed in 1993, we could very well be talking about Monica Seles as greatest ever. She was, for pure talent, the best I've ever seen. She probably could have gone on to win 20 majors, and in doing so, probably would have limited Graf to under 20. She had 8 GS titles before her 20th birthday. She was 3-1 in GS finals against Graf before the stabbing.

Graf is still the greatest, everything considered, of all-time, with Navratilova, Evert, and Serena Williams close second.

Graf, had a tremendous forehand, backhand slice was good. Seles, had accuracy and power from both sides, which she used, to hit winners almost at will. Serena, has power from either side, hits winners from forehand and backhand. I think what separates Serena from the pack is her elite power and court coverage, not to mention the most powerful serve in the history of women's tennis.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Serena has the perfect balance of excellent technique on her serve and groundstrokes, lethal power, and uber-athleticism.

Graf is often praised for her steely demeanor on the court, and she should be. You could never tell if Steffi was up 6-0, 5-0 or down match point.

But what separates Serena is her will to win. Watch her matches when she is down in a second set after losing the first, only to roar back. She plays with a sense that it is personal to her, especially against her top rivals: 17-2 against Sharapova (last loss was 2004), 14-3 against Azarenka, etc.

In fact, for her entire pro career (from 1994-2015), Serena has a record of 139-56 when playing an opponent ranked #1 in the world. Think about that. For 21 years, no matter where she is ranked, Serena will beat the #1 ranked woman in the world in 71.3 percent of matches.

And her career resurgence at her age is nothing short of amazing. On February 18, 2013, at the age of 31, Serena Williams took over the top spot in the WTA Tour rankings. She has not budged since. Since that date, she has won 19 tournaments, including four Grand Slams, while compiling a record of 138-10.

Graf was my favorite female tennis player growing up (Ivan Lendl was my favorite male player). I even modeled my forehand off of Steffi, with the big swing and running around to hit the inside-out shot. But Serena has become not just my favorite female tennis player...not just my favorite tennis player...but one of my all-time favorite athletes, regardless of sport.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Slight correction to my post...

For her entire pro career (from 1994-2015), Serena has a record of 139-56 when playing an opponent ranked who is ranked or has been #1 in the world. Think about that. For 21 years, no matter where she is ranked, Serena has defeated a player ranked #1 in the world (at some point in that player's career) in 71.3 percent of matches.

The statistic regarding her record against opponents ranked #1 is her overall record against players who were ranked #1 at some point in their respective careers, not a W-L record against an opponent ranked #1 at that time, every single time.

Reaction Score
Serena has the biggest weapon in the history of tennis (male or female): her serve. It is a large part of the reason I think she would win a head-to-head match against Graf. (Though these type of hypothetical match-ups are notoriously suspect: the difference in style of play, athleticism, etc between 1988 (Graf's peak) and 2002/2013 (Serena's peaks) would likely offset their individual talent/skill matchup). Serena's movement (in different ways at different points of her career), her mental toughness, and her ball striking are also notable strengths. However, while Serena has had several rivals during her remarkably long career (though not quite the longevity of Navratilova) - such as Venus, Hingis, Henin, and Sharapova - they are second-tier greats. Navratilova met Evert 22 times (Evert also met Billie Jean King 9 times in Grand Slams) and Graf 9 times in Grand Slams. Graf met Seles 10 times in Grand Slams and would have played her much more if not for the stabbing. 3 of the 4 players in conversation for GOAT played each other for at least parts of their careers. Serena is the only one who never did. That's not to take anything away from Serena, who could end up as the greatest when it is all said and done, and is absolutely my favorite tennis player.

Reaction Score
Sorry but too many names that don't belong. Notoriety is not a reason to make the list. Athletic accomplishments, intelligence and being an ambassador for your sport are. Maya, you were robbed.

Reaction Score
Serena has the biggest weapon in the history of tennis (male or female): her serve. It is a large part of the reason I think she would win a head-to-head match against Graf. (Though these type of hypothetical match-ups are notoriously suspect: the difference in style of play, athleticism, etc between 1988 (Graf's peak) and 2002/2013 (Serena's peaks) would likely offset their individual talent/skill matchup). Serena's movement (in different ways at different points of her career), her mental toughness, and her ball striking are also notable strengths. However, while Serena has had several rivals during her remarkably long career (though not quite the longevity of Navratilova) - such as Venus, Hingis, Henin, and Sharapova - they are second-tier greats. Navratilova met Evert 22 times (Evert also met Billie Jean King 9 times in Grand Slams) and Graf 9 times in Grand Slams. Graf met Seles 10 times in Grand Slams and would have played her much more if not for the stabbing. 3 of the 4 players in conversation for GOAT played each other for at least parts of their careers. Serena is the only one who never did. That's not to take anything away from Serena, who could end up as the greatest when it is all said and done, and is absolutely my favorite tennis player.
I guarantee you that the players you are calling 2nd tier, when playing at their best, could beat your "greats" in a lot of matches. I watched Chris, Martina, Steffi and Monica during their careers, all Great players but I think Venus, Justin and Martina playing in that era would have won more than a few Grand Slams.

Reaction Score
As a previous poster alluded to, Gulbis with one career win and Wozniacki with no majors and Diggins... Its not all about athletics.

Reaction Score
Serena has the perfect balance of excellent technique on her serve and groundstrokes, lethal power, and uber-athleticism.

Graf is often praised for her steely demeanor on the court, and she should be. You could never tell if Steffi was up 6-0, 5-0 or down match point.

But what separates Serena is her will to win. Watch her matches when she is down in a second set after losing the first, only to roar back. She plays with a sense that it is personal to her, especially against her top rivals: 17-2 against Sharapova (last loss was 2004), 14-3 against Azarenka, etc.

In fact, for her entire pro career (from 1994-2015), Serena has a record of 139-56 when playing an opponent ranked #1 in the world. Think about that. For 21 years, no matter where she is ranked, Serena will beat the #1 ranked woman in the world in 71.3 percent of matches.

And her career resurgence at her age is nothing short of amazing. On February 18, 2013, at the age of 31, Serena Williams took over the top spot in the WTA Tour rankings. She has not budged since. Since that date, she has won 19 tournaments, including four Grand Slams, while compiling a record of 138-10.

Graf was my favorite female tennis player growing up (Ivan Lendl was my favorite male player). I even modeled my forehand off of Steffi, with the big swing and running around to hit the inside-out shot. But Serena has become not just my favorite female tennis player...not just my favorite tennis player...but one of my all-time favorite athletes, regardless of sport.
Graf was your favorite? Where you rooting for a foreigner over a U.S. Player? Lol

Reaction Score
Great to see that Catchings got her due, but Maya Moore and Chamique Holdsclaw should absolutely be on that list. Holdsclaw or Moore could make compelling cases for the greatest college women's basketball player ever, both because of how much they won but the way they played, especially Holdsclaw. She brought attention to the women's game in a big way. Meanwhile Skylar Diggins? Absolutely not.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Graf was your favorite? Where you rooting for a foreigner over a U.S. Player? Lol

HA! Evert was my first favorite, followed by Graf, followed by Serena.
On the men's side, Lendl was my first favorite

Reaction Score
Any list like this that doesn't include Kin Rhode is myopic. Before you say shooting isn't a sport you should try it. Besides if they include fencing then there really isn't any argument about what sports should or shouldn't be included. BTW if she medals in the next Olympics she will be the Olympian in any sport to medal on 5 continents.

Kim Rhode A California native, she is a five-time Olympic medal winner, including three gold medals, and six-time national champion in double trap. She is the most successful female shooter at the Olympics as the only triple Olympic Champion and is the only woman to have won two Olympic gold medals for Double Trap. Most recently, she won a gold medal in skeet shooting at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, equaling the world record of 99 out of 100 clays.

Rhode, at 13, won her first world championship title in women's double trap shooting. After double trap shooting was eliminated from the 2008 Olympic games, she has concentrated on skeet. Which means she switched sports and still kept winning. Won the 2010 World Championships in skeet in Munich.

1996 Olympics
Rhode won a gold medal at the 1996 Summer Games, making her the youngest female gold medalist in the history of Olympic shooting.

2000 Olympics
Rhode won a bronze medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.

2004 Olympics
Rhode also won a gold medal at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens.

2008 Olympics
Rhode won the silver medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in women's skeet.

2012 Olympics
On July 29 at the 2012 London Olympics, Rhode won the gold medal in skeet shooting with an Olympic record score of 99, tying the world record in this event. With this medal, Rhode is the only American competitor to win medals for an individual event in five consecutive Olympics. She also became one of the three competitors (and the only woman) to win three Olympic individual gold medals for shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom