The 1-3-1 zone | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 1-3-1 zone

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maybe do a matchup 2-3 zone like Chaney used to run at Temple

That was a matchup 3-2, and played a little like man-to-man defense with switches on every screen. I like it a lot, but I have not seen a lot of teams that play it nearly as well as Chaney's Temple teams did.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We didn't need to go zone at all. A 2-3 would be good for a few minutes just to show them something. The team just needs to change how they defend in man, sag off anyone who isn't a lethal 3 point shooter. Guys like Alleyne, Newton, etc. Play drop 100% of the time against any big who can't shoot. Play at the level of the screener against any big who can shoot. Guards need to take charges against bigs rolling in P&R, but really, most teams don't have a good P&R game.

It means we will give up more 3s, which Dan hates. From SB Nation:
The Huskies also now rank 311th in the country with 19.2 fouls per game. In the last three games, that number is at 21 per game. UConn is also fifth in the country in 3-point field goal percentage allowed (27.2%). Teams have only made 74 threes against them all season! Dan Hurley has drilled these kids to run guys off the three point line so much that they’re getting beat off the dribble, and that’s when the fouls happen. Free throws dull defensive intensity, disrupt rotations, and most importantly for UConn, prevent you from getting out in transition.

Reaction Score
I mean sure this works in middle school... Maybe?

In the big east you put your most undersized and unathletic guard in the back... Good luck.

Michigan did it for years. It's an effective zone. The big in the middle is the one defending the rim.

caw

Reaction Score
It was fine with Jackson at the top and Clingan in the middle. Without that length and athleticism in those two spots, it's a bad choice. Ideally it would only come out with something like:

Jackson
Hawkins, Clingan, Newton
Alleyne or Diarra

But that takes away the best attributes of Alleyne and Diarra.

Reaction Score
Why can’t he just be normal and do a simple 2-3 or 3-2. Let’s get a basic zone down before playing this porous Nonsense
Absolutely
Stop the penetration !!!
Also rest the one on one players so they have some energy to play offense

Seriously I’m very sad to say Hurley now is the problem He has the horses but I guess he can’t coach them
Losing to St J was pathetic
And horrible to watch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom