Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Omar Comin"

will never get old
200w.gif

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In fitting fashion, when Phil was called out to center court to receive his plaque and take his picture, the entire team ran out and photobombed his senior day picture with Ollie. Absolutely perfect.

Reaction Score
Even though this board is in full meltdown mode and the inmates seem to be running the asylum...today is still Senior Day. And as such all Husky fans should all give a big thank you to Omar and Phil. They've been through a lot of adversity in their 4 years at UConn, but despite it all they never gave up.

-UConn was banned from the tournament their freshman year. But they stayed committed.

-If the ban wasn't already enough, Jim Calhoun suddenly retired. But they stayed committed.

-Omar was very highly ranked and had offers from top programs all over the country. But he stayed committed.

-After their freshman year, the greatest conference in the history of college basketball abruptly evaporated in front of their eyes and UConn was relegated to CUSA 2.0. But they stayed.

-And then Omar had not one, but two hip surgeries. Physically, he was a shell of himself and his playing time dwindled to almost nothing his sophomore and junior years. But he stayed.

-And now in his senior year Phil barely sees the court anymore. But he's always still ready when his number is called.

Omar and Phil are the last Huskies ever that can say they played in the (real) Big East. Omar and Phil are national champions. So if just for one day, can we ALL please appreciate everything those young men have done during their 4 years. I just wish I was at Gampel today to clap and cheer when they lift up those UConn jerseys. It's been an honor to call them Huskies. Thank you Omar and Phil!

I've been travelling and absent, but thank you for expressing this. I'm sure if you had asked either of these two fine young men how they envisioned their senior year, they would not have foreseen this year. Their enduring loyalty to the program demands nothing less than our reciprocal loyalty to them.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They're two of the most selfless guys ever to put on a UConn jersey and are two of my all-time favorite Huskies. Thank you for everything you've done Omar and Phil and best of luck in the future. Needless to say, the same wishes go out to Nnamdi Amilo too. Being a three-year walk-on takes some serious dedication and self-sacrifice.

Reaction Score
There is no better story than the ones who come when called on to give the best they got and were loyal to the program.
Cheers to you guys.....quite an honorable accomplishment.....and as can be seen by this thread, well appreciated.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed with how Omars extra time in the gym is paying off. He has shown very good leaping ability, toughness and just plain stick-to-it-ness. A blessing to see.

Reaction Score
I was at yesterday's game and it was an honor to have attended my first senior day since I was a senior. It was especially touching when the entire team posed with Nolan for his plaque, since he didn't have anyone in attendance with him last afternoon.

I got chills towards the end of the game when each senior was brought out onto the court one more time for a standing ovations. I particularly loved how everyone was rooting for Amilo to get onto the court and when he was on, he made both of those ugly foul shots. Excellent atmosphere!

Reaction Score
For the first time in 30 years, there will be no 'Calhoun' on the UConn roster or coaching staff.

Thankful for both Omar and Phil. Sometimes their play wasn't the greatest thing in the world but they helped us win a national championship and had great attitudes and perseverance through the ups and downs. I can see both contributing nicely overseas next year.

Reaction Score
i still remember Nolan jamming it at the end of the game against Michigan State in the NCAA tournament in 14' at MSG to ice the game, that was awesome

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Nnamdi has a 4.0 GPA & is going to medical school in the Fall. That will help the APR fer sure. I feel awful that Phil didn't have family there to celebrate Senior day with him. He's a great guy...soft spoken & thoughtful. Glad that the team stepped up in his family's absence. Omar has always worked very hard, on the court & off. Wish them all a happy & bright future~!

Reaction Score
Two great kids, met them both several times. Phil - thankful for that defense in the 2014 tournament! Omar - thanks for sticking with us. I truly feel he could have been a high scorer had he never gotten hurt. Best of luck to both of them after graduation!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Both had their ups and both had their downs
One thing you can't take away from them is the NC ring
Not many have that hardware
Thanks Omar and Phil - may you attain the goals you have set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online