Thamel : Big East Could Grow To 14 Team Fb And 18 Team Bb | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Thamel : Big East Could Grow To 14 Team Fb And 18 Team Bb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
5 star recruits will be lining up to play in this conference once Calhoun is gone. Please just get us in the ACC somehow...

Lol. The bigger issue for basketball recruiting will be JC's scheduling preferences. We will need to beef up the OOC slate so kids know they will be playing the best and JC isn't big on that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we were to go independent we could have the strongest road schedule of any school in the country (which may be the only means of having a top schedule and being able to lure some better recruits) but I doubt we could get anyone decent to consider anything remotely close to an even home and home arrangement. Would four home games a year (almost always against MAC level competition) be acceptable to our fan base? I don't see how it could be considering many griped about the idea of playing home games against ND in NFL venues.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we were to go independent we could have the strongest road schedule of any school in the country (which may be the only means of having a top schedule and being able to lure some better recruits) but I doubt we could get anyone decent to consider anything remotely close to an even home and home arrangement. Would four home games a year (almost always against MAC level competition) be acceptable to our fan base? I don't see how it could be considering many griped about the idea of playing home games against ND in NFL venues.

Independence would kill the program immediately. It a total and complete non-starter. It can't be done here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Independence would kill the program immediately. It a total and complete non-starter. It can't be done here.
No kidding. If this were 1975 (and there were a dozen of decent to good indies around to schedule games with) we may have had a shot but that ship went the way of pet rocks and mood rings.

Reaction Score
You are too easily impressed by a school that plays flotsam in a very very very weak conference. Boise St., like all the other similar schools that have gone before it, experiences no headwind during the season, and gets some notoriety later on.

Look at how Utah is doing in the Pac-10. They are roadkill. Utah was Boise St. before Boise St. Now their program is in tatters.

This is what happens when teams have to bring it each and every week.

Don't be so easily impressed by BSU.

BSU 43 Oklahoma 42 Jan 2 2007....I am impressed

Reaction Score
BSU 43 Oklahoma 42 Jan 2 2007....I am impressed

This is too easy.

2006: Sugar Bowl: (11) West Virginia 38, (7) Georgia 35
2008: Fiesta Bowl: (9) West Virginia 48, (4) Oklahoma 28

Reaction Score
WVU is gone upstater. Out of the realistic options for the Big East, who do you think we should add to try to replace WVU as the best team in our conference?

Reaction Score
WVU is gone upstater. Out of the realistic options for the Big East, who do you think we should add to try to replace WVU as the best team in our conference?

Are you following the thread? The argument is that the BE is going to improve as a football league. I'm not against adding Boise, not at all. I'm against the idea that they are better at football than WV.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you following the thread? The argument is that the BE is going to improve as a football league. I'm not against adding Boise, not at all. I'm against the idea that they are better at football than WV.

Well right this second of course they are.

Reaction Score
Well right this second of course they are.

Well, right at this second, Houston is better than Florida, but you have plenty of people who would dispute the idea they are a better candidate for the BE.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, right at this second, Houston is better than Florida, but you have plenty of people who would dispute the idea they are a better candidate for the BE.

But West Virginia isn't a Big East candidate so I'm not sure what your point is? Would I rather have West Virginia than Boise? Of course. But that isn't a choice I or anyone else gets to make.

Reaction Score
But West Virginia isn't a Big East candidate so I'm not sure what your point is? Would I rather have West Virginia than Boise? Of course. But that isn't a choice I or anyone else gets to make.

Thank you Whaler, that was what I was getting at.

Reaction Score

Sigh. You have to follow the thread rather than going over this again. People are making the case that BE football is going to improve by losing WV and adding Boise. But I already wrote that in my response to your post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Err, yeah, but you were responding to a post that was discussing whether Boise had better football than WV.

And that is where my confusion lied. If you mean next week would Boise beat West Virginia, then yes.. of course they would be a huge favorite. Is the Big East better off with Boise over the next 20 years than WVU? I'm with you, I'd rather have WVU.

Reaction Score
And that is where my confusion lied. If you mean next week would Boise beat West Virginia, then yes.. of course they would be a huge favorite. Is the Big East better off with Boise over the next 20 years than WVU? I'm with you, I'd rather have WVU.

Or 10 years or even 5. I'd take WV. But yes, that's what I was responding to. Those who see Boise as a football improvement over WV, not just for this year but the near future).

Reaction Score
Boise beat Georgia easily this year. They also won the Fiesta Bowl in 2009. They would finish in first place if they were in the Big East.

There is never any guarantee that a school will continue to be successful. However, they have a good head coach so I like their chances. Utah was great under Urban Meyer, things started to slide after he left. Again head coach is very important. WVU has seen their program slide since their coach left for Michigan. He failed there but had a great record with WVU.

Reaction Score
Or 10 years or even 5. I'd take WV. But yes, that's what I was responding to. Those who see Boise as a football improvement over WV, not just for this year but the near future).

Okay, I see what you are saying. I think Boise is more important to the Big East than WVU right now, though. Boise in all likelihood allows the Big East to retain it's BCS bid.
WVU staying, and us adding afa,usna,ucf,smu,temple etc, would probably not...

Reaction Score
Okay, I see what you are saying. I think Boise is more important to the Big East than WVU right now, though. Boise in all likelihood allows the Big East to retain it's BCS bid.
WVU staying, and us adding afa,usna,ucf,smu,temple etc, would probably not...

What people don't realize, and I hope the BE is taking into account, is that the whole BCS contract and requirements get re-written with every extension. Don't be surprised if things change. The big leagues are serious about grabbing extra BCS bids. Sure, they may give the BE an AQ, but don't expect the criteria to stay the same.

Reaction Score
What people don't realize, and I hope the BE is taking into account, is that the whole BCS contract and requirements get re-written with every extension. Don't be surprised if things change. The big leagues are serious about grabbing extra BCS bids. Sure, they may give the BE an AQ, but don't expect the criteria to stay the same.

That's exactly right. I don't think it's guaranteed and maybe not even likely that the above hodge lodge conference gets an AQ status. Boise ain't going to carry it otherwise they would have joined the MWC and that league would have gotten one. Look at the list above and tell me which school is an old line football power such that it couldn't be left without a seat at the table? This is why WVU is much more important than Boise. Boise is like us, no tradition and that's what sells in college FB. If this new league doesnt get AQ status,id take my chances as Indy. I see no logical reason why any of our old conference mates and non traditional bcs football powers (like a UVA or wake or northwestern or vandy) and maybe the next tier up too wouldn't give us home and homes straight away. We could easily have a better home schedule than this season. Show me the AQ and a TV deal fo this new conference and we'll have to take it but I hope our admin is at least thinking Indy so it doesn't get caught napping again.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's exactly right. I don't think it's guaranteed and maybe not even likely that the above hodge lodge conference gets an AQ status. Boise ain't going to carry it otherwise they would have joined the MWC and that league would have gotten one. Look at the list above and tell me which school is an old line football power such that it couldn't be left without a seat at the table? This is why WVU is much more important than Boise. Boise is like us, no tradition and that's what sells in college FB. If this new league doesnt get AQ status,id take my chances as Indy. I see no logical reason why any of our old conference mates and non traditional bcs football powers (like a UVA or wake or northwestern or vandy) and maybe the next tier up too wouldn't give us home and homes straight away. We could easily have a better home schedule than this season. Show me the AQ and a TV deal fo this new conference and we'll have to take it but I hope our admin is at least thinking Indy so it doesn't get caught napping again.

Again, in your scenario, the independents in the FBS would be Notre Dame, BYU, Army, Navy and UConn.

Which of these isn't like the others? I just don't understand how you can be so blind.

Reaction Score
Again, in your scenario, the independents in the FBS would be Notre Dame, BYU, Army, Navy and UConn.

Which of these isn't like the others? I just don't understand how you can be so blind.

You'd rather be in that proposed confernce

Reaction Score
Without a bcs seat? Who's blind? without the AQ I'd rather play a schedule with home games aginst Syracuse, WVU, Pitt, UMass, Northwestern, Vandy and road games at ND, Penn State, Ga Tech, Tennessee, Maryland and Michigan. Wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom