Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I really wonder if you start to see some growth in the independent ranks after this shakes out. Kansas is basically the Midwest version of us yet they had a stable, all sports home. Until now. Their bball needs a good home while their football can just do it's thing in independence like ours will do. I can see WVU try and get their bball into a better bball conference if the Big 12 schools get picked off. It might force it's FB team into independence. Will any other school do something similar and do what's best for one sport? I don't know. I don't think the remaining Big 12 schools know either! Lol!

Reaction Score
I really wonder if you start to see some growth in the independent ranks after this shakes out. Kansas is basically the Midwest version of us yet they had a stable, all sports home. Until now. Their bball needs a good home while their football can just do it's thing in independence like ours will do. I can see WVU try and get their bball into a better bball conference if the Big 12 schools get picked off. It might force it's FB team into independence. Will any other school do something similar and do what's best for one sport? I don't know. I don't think the remaining Big 12 schools know either! Lol!
This would be ideal but I think Kansas reluctantly has the big 10 scoop them up. WV to ACC seems inevitable. If anything independents can shrink with BYU.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about WVU to the ACC. I don't see what they bring to that conference. There is no additional revenue there.
At this point it’s about keeping up. If the SEC goes to 16 so will the other 2 or as close to it as possible.

Reaction Score
At this point it’s about keeping up. If the SEC goes to 16 so will the other 2 or as close to it as possible.
I guess the question I ask, then, is how exactly does west virginia help them "keep up?" 16 isn't a magical number.

ND is the last chip on the board that's really worth anything. Maybe WV rides their coattails but if ND goes full time in the ACC, they're picking who comes with them. Will they pick West Virginia?

Reaction Score
UConn dragged out its own realignment process to cash in on a few extra bucks in other schools’ exit fees. How did that work out?
The remaining Big 12 schools fate's are sealed. If one or two are lucky enough to get a lifeline with the Pac12, they will jump. The rest, similiar to UConn, will be left for dead. For those schools, its probably best to keep this going as long as possible to earn 35 mil per and not 5.
This time around, it doesn't feel like there is any consolation prize for playing nice. TCU and Iowa State should try to get as much as they can by playing hardball.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The remaining Big 12 schools fate's are sealed. If one or two are lucky enough to get a lifeline with the Pac12, they will jump. The rest, similiar to UConn, will be left for dead. For those schools, its probably best to keep this going as long as possible to earn 35 mil per and not 5.
This time around, it doesn't feel like there is any consolation prize for playing nice. TCU and Iowa State should try to get as much as they can by playing hardball.

UConn burned its football program to the ground and damaged its basketball program by staying in the AAC to collect a few extra exit fee checks. We should have left for the Big East as soon as Louisville got the last life raft to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Playing what ifs...

What if the end game is a pull-away league.... four super conferences of 18 teams each? And the Big 12 folds.

The ACC would have to add four
the B1G would have to add four
The SEC adds OK and Texas plus two more
The Pac needs six more...

IF, if all current Big 12 teams found a home, that leaves room for Notre Dame plus six who are current G-5 programs.

Reaction Score
If Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12 early and successfully challenge the GORs, that could be a problem for the ACC. Long term, I just don't see how Clemson and Florida State can afford to stay in the ACC as their instate rivals South Carolina and Florida have much larger, and growing, media contracts.

As for the Big 12 schools, none of them really move the needle (Kansas does a little) so its hard to see any other P5 conference having any interest in them. Some in the Big 12 may not want to hear this, but in a streaming world, UConn women's basketball may be more valuable than than most of the left behind Big 12 schools.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
WVU as a football independent is intriguing.

They can still recruit any player, no worries about academics. Strong brand reputation through eastern half of US. They could put together a strong schedule. Fan base is rabid.

Reaction Score
Yeah i was wondering what part of northern Fairfield County let alone Litchfield identifies with NYC. I would say it's really just the towns along and south of the parkway.
UConn is huge in Litchfield and Fairfield County. NYC is so darn big, everything gets lost. When UConn is good it is on radar in NYC. Same with Syracuse and St John's and even Rutgers.

Stamford might be the one town that is more NYC than CT, but once you hit Norwalk it is definitely UConn country.

Reaction Score
Playing what ifs...

What if the end game is a pull-away league.... four super conferences of 18 teams each? And the Big 12 folds.

The ACC would have to add four
the B1G would have to add four
The SEC adds OK and Texas plus two more
The Pac needs six more...

IF, if all current Big 12 teams found a home, that leaves room for Notre Dame plus six who are current G-5 programs.
I don't think you need to ask "what if," as I think that has been the end game all along. All that's missing is the ability for the big conferences to be able to force out their grandfathered in dead weight schools. Once that's accomplished, the pull-away league basically becomes a pro league unencumbered by the NCAA, and concentrates a lot of wealth into a few dozen or so schools where athletics, primarily football and men's basketball, are paramount. That will essentially be the big reset for college athletics because once the big money schools break away, everyone else can exhale and stop with the athletic arm's race money pit, formulate practical conferences around geography/travel, and have actual student-athletes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see the remaining B12 teams going small to replace two teams. They either add multiple teams and form a much bigger conference or join in unison the AAC. I seriously doubt the ACC wants WV at this point given their snubs in prior years. TV will drive the deal, but combining the two in some format makes sense. Be a good league in both fb and bb.

Reaction Score
6 months… a year… it’s all the same in the end:

If true that's pretty amazing that it was kept under wraps for that long. These schools leak like a sieve because so many involved are Deep Throat wannabes with legions of wannabe "insiders" ready to share that information with the masses so long as you are willing to subscribe to their blog for $9.99/month. Maybe the pandemic helped as there were less people in the mix and perhaps less casual communications.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma are leaving, just a question of where. Are you saying they shouldn't meet to discuss it? What should they do? Try telepathy? Binge watch Breaking Bad? I am sure they are open to ideas right now.
The Big 12 forced this now by looking for extensions too early. When they got the no, that is where they needed to go back to UT and Oklahoma and say what do you think and what can we do. The horse is so far out of the barn, they will need telepathy to talk to those 2.

Reaction Score
I don't think you need to ask "what if," as I think that has been the end game all along. All that's missing is the ability for the big conferences to be able to force out their grandfathered in dead weight schools. Once that's accomplished, the pull-away league basically becomes a pro league unencumbered by the NCAA, and concentrates a lot of wealth into a few dozen or so schools where athletics, primarily football and men's basketball, are paramount. That will essentially be the big reset for college athletics because once the big money schools break away, everyone else can exhale and stop with the athletic arm's race money pit, formulate practical conferences around geography/travel, and have actual student-athletes.
Consolidation has long seemed likely to me. Not sure whether four is the correct number or not. Might end up with just two or three "power" conferences.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 forced this now by looking for extensions too early. When they got the no, that is where they needed to go back to UT and Oklahoma and say what do you think and what can we do. The horse is so far out of the barn, they will need telepathy to talk to those 2.

I think you have the cause and effect backwards. The reason the extension was turned down was that ESPN knew that Oklahoma and Texas were looking to exit. This is a lot like 2002, when Miami and BCU were looking to stab us in the back while Tranghese was trying to negotiate a new rights agreement. That horse left the barn when someone at Wake told Skip Proesser not to take the Pitt job because the Big East was about to get raided.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Every league makes the same mistake in expansion. They decide they are not in imminent danger, so doing nothing seems like a reasonable solution if they can't get the big dog. Then another couple of years pass, and whatever the original problem that made expansion seem like a good idea in the first place (usually over dependence on a single alpha dog member or not enough market reach) come back to bite the league in the butt.

So here the Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC are, clearly subordinate to the SEC, and they are having sadzzz because they didn't get Texas and Oklahoma. And there is a good chance that they do nothing. Any business in the same situation as those three leagues would try to get bigger immediately through acquisition, but not athletic conferences. They have a model that shows that whatever is happening now will continue to infinity, so they don't need to do anything.

Until they get raided.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom