Texas-isms | The Boneyard

Texas-isms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the rumored interest in our University by the Big 12 (aka B12, BigXII, Big 12 (but not really though 'cause we only have 10 schools right now)) I thought it might be useful for Boneyard members to acquaint themselves with Texas colloquialisms, or Texas-isms. Towards that end, I found a website that you can use to study up on Texas lingo:

http://hubpages.com/literature/Texasisms-A-Glossary-of-Texas-Speak

Going forward, it would be beneficial if y'all started peppering your messages with as many Texas-isms as possible, to make our future conference mates feel more welcome when they visit us.

Boy howdy, I'll sure be happier than a two peckered dog when UConn gets invited to the Big 12.

Feel free to add your own Texas-isms below so other Boneyarders can benefit.

Yee Haw!

Reaction Score
What's it called in Texas when people are overly-optimistic about something that may not happen and when that thing doesn't in fact happen everyone is borderline suicidal?

Reaction Score
Date Night?
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
The first Whataburger built outside of Texas was in the Florida panhandle....possible omen or not, I have always loved me some Whataburger...they know that it is mustard that goes on a hamburger and not ketchup.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"All hat and no cattle"
"Ask for the ranch but settle for the chickens."

... are two that come to mind.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First two lexicons I learned to love when I moved down south were "Fixin' to" and "might could".

As in, I might could get that done today.

or,

I'm fixin' to do that.

As for sayings, you can't never go wrong with "Knee high to a june bug" and "hotter than a pepper sprout".

I also find it funny that the link explains how to pronounce the letter "R". They'll flip when they come up to New England.

Reaction Score
I like the word "bidness".

The Bidness Myth

IF THE BUSINESS OF AMERICA is business, as Calvin Coolidge once said, then the business of Texas is bidness. The distinction isn’t just phonetic; our locution tells the rest of the world that there’s something fundamentally different about our economic model. From our primordial real estate impresarios and legendary cattle barons to wildcatters and information-age entrepreneurs, Texas bidness boasts a storied lineage of up-from-the-dirt, git-the-gummint-off-my-back innovators who have proudly borne the standard of a leaner, hungrier, more gloriously unfettered form of free enterprise—or so we like to think. Just the way we pare down the word to a couple of syllables and hard consonants amounts to a Texas declaration of independence bordering on a threat. You best watch your big-gummint-lovin’ Yankee ass; we fixin’ to do some bidness.

- See more at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-bidness-myth/#sthash.45WQrDXw.dpuf

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
First two lexicons I learned to love when I moved down south were "Fixin' to" and "might could".

As in, I might could get that done today.

or,

I'm fixin' to do that.

As for sayings, you can't never go wrong with "Knee high to a june bug" and "hotter than a pepper sprout".

I also find it funny that the link explains how to pronounce the letter "R". They'll flip when they come up to New England.

Whats wrong with the way we say ah?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
WHATABURGERS AWESOME!!! (In my Gresh voice)
(in gresh voice)
I HAVE IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY THAT TALLAHASSEE PUBLIX HAS AMAZING CRAB LEGS, SPEAKING OF FLORIDA STATE.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom