Tevin Mack receives release from Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack receives release from Texas

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don't want. We don't need him and don't need any problems coming in. Use the schollies on a senior transfer and a big man

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I am NOT saying UConn should take a shot BUT CK had a really good few years at KState
I am in the group that says pass based on the history but maybe KO can work with the kid but is it worth it????
No

Reaction Score
enrolling in school this year then sitting out a half or full season for the transfer will give him a chance to prove to his next coach and teammates that he can be trusted, or sent packing. he's a 6-6 guy that averaged 15 and 5 while shooting 39% from deep and will be 21 or 22 years old before he suits up again. i think you at least take a shot. it never hurts having extra bodies in practice and by the time he plays he's probably an 18 and 7 guy that is strong as f.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hard pass for me. Was suspended for first game of season for violating team rules during offseason, played 15 games, then suspended for the next 13 games for violating team rules again during the season, then gets his release from the program. Seems like this guy isn't great for team chemistry.

Reaction Score
suspended for first game of season for violating team rules during offseason, played 15 games, then suspended for the next 13 games for violating team rules
No thanks!

Reaction Score
While I understand how fragile the team dynamic is, there are also plenty of reasons to take a shot:

- He didn't really...do anything. I mean, he's guilty of being a loose cannon who can't work with others, but that probably describes half this board. On the scale of things that are redeemable, I'll take that over what has plagued Brimah and Purvis. Plus, it might not be a bad thing to bring a guy in who is a bit of an egomaniac and is willing to punch somebody out. Dudes who have trouble losing gracefully is bad in a vacuum but perhaps also indicative of some qualities that are helpful in the long run. I bet there are plenty of stories of our former players doing, um, anti-social things during losing seasons. Just thinking about that Texas team I might try to punch somebody in the face and I'm the one who'd end up with the black eye. Keep in mind that Mack followed Smart over from VCU, right? Perhaps he was never a great fit with that program.

- We don't really have a pure three on the roster. Jackson and Larrier are better suited for the four in the college game. He's perfect for that spot. Larrier is also going to be coming off an ACL injury while Mack will A) have all the incentive in the world to prove he can be a team player, and B) be ready to go from the jump. You're getting a major talent on the cheap, and if Rasheed Sulaimon can work out at Maryland, I'm certainly not putting anything past anybody else.

- Kid can play. 15 on 46/40 splits as a sophomore is no joke. Big leap between his freshman and sophomore year and if he makes another one you're potentially talking about an all-American talent.

Reaction Score
The baggage is apparent but I'd be surprised if KO didn't atleast look into him. He is a very very good basketball player, and obviously UConn had a connection with him coming out of high school.

Obviously if KO sees character issues after doing his research then he'll stay away

Reaction Score
I don't want anybody on the team who, in a different environment, would be psycho enough to post on the boneyard.

lol, I like to think of us yarders as athletes without the talent.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Yes yes and yes. Sign me up.

Reaction Score
Georgia has been heavily involved with him from the start of the recruiting process. Very close connections there.

Marcus Foster opted for Creighton when transferring from Kansas State. Creighton recruited him the hardest. Foster had baggage but is having an excellent JR year. I wish we had Marcus Foster because next year he could be a 1st team AA. There still is some risk with Foster though in my opinion. I still don't trust him 100% off the court.

Mack I think will turn it around somewhere else and light it up. :)JMHO

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Here's the scenario I see. Mack comes to UCONN. Sits out a year while taking up a scholarship. Plays in first pre-season game. Tears ACL. Out all season.

Reaction Score
Caron butler was a kid with issues and turned it around. BG had high school issues. Kids can change. They would have to have a few heart to hearts and a killer visit. He may need a new start. I am open minded

Reaction Score
Pass.

He had a 2nd and 3rd chance at Texas and couldn't conform to the expectations put forth by Shaka and being a good teammate. He even allegedly punched a teammate which led to his indefinite suspension and release

I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at South Carolina. He's from Columbia and Frank Martin has turned around that program

Reaction Score
Caron butler was a kid with issues and turned it around. BG had high school issues. Kids can change. They would have to have a few heart to hearts and a killer visit. He may need a new start. I am open minded

I get what you're saying but UConn isn't the kind of program that needs to take on rehab projects. There are soooo many players available to them - and to boot many of their own talented players they need to do a better job of developing. I just don't see the need to pull the trigger on this.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

For every Caron butler there are probably 50 Doug Wiggins, Doug Wrenn and Nate Miles types.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom