Terribly Unfair | The Boneyard

Terribly Unfair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've tried to refrain from commenting on the many posts in numerous different threads moaning and groaning about how we are being out-recruited by ND, Baylor, So. Car and other top programs. These posts can't be referring to the 15-16 class because we all agree that by the time Lou and Napheesa are seniors this will prove to have been a terrific class. It also can't be referring to the 17-18 class as that class is shaping up nicely with Lexi and AEH commits and possibly MW. Thus, while no one came out and explicitly said this the neccessary implication of those posts is that..... while Crystal Dangerfield is probably going to be a great pg, Molly and Kyla are going to be failures or at best ordinary role players.
While that may turn out to be true I think it is terribly unfair to Molly and Kyla to make that sort of judgement or prediction before they have played a single minute in a UCONN uniform just because they weren't highly rated in the HS rankings. In fact IMO we won't be able to make an informed judgement until at least the end of their soph year or the middle of their junior year.I understand the the purpose of this board is for us to express our opinions and make predictions but what are those predictions based upon? How many games have these posters seen Molly and Kyla play? Who really can make an informed judgement that these kids don't have the potential skills, grit, determination, BBIQ or intensity to emerge into players far better then the HS rankings suggest. Geno has a pretty good track record and he, at least, sees something in Kyla and Molly.Would I trade Klya or Molly right now for Ionescu or Holmes, or Cox, or Boley or Young....yes I would but I am not prepared to make judgement that Molly orand Kyla are not going to turn out to be terrific players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
upload_2016-4-19_17-2-0.png

Reaction Score
I've tried to refrain from commenting on the many posts in numerous different threads moaning and groaning about how we are being out-recruited by ND, Baylor, So. Car and other top programs. These posts can't be referring to the 15-16 class because we all agree that by the time Lou and Napheesa are seniors this will prove to have been a terrific class. It also can't be referring to the 17-18 class as that class is shaping up nicely with Lexi and AEH commits and possibly MW. Thus, while no one came out and explicitly said this the neccessary implication of those posts is that..... while Crystal Dangerfield is probably going to be a great pg, Molly and Kyla are going to be failures or at best ordinary role players.
While that may turn out to be true I think it is terribly unfair to Molly and Kyla to make that sort of judgement or prediction before they have played a single minute in a UCONN uniform just because they weren't highly rated in the HS rankings. In fact IMO we won't be able to make an informed judgement until at least the end of their soph year or the middle of their junior year.I understand the the purpose of this board is for us to express our opinions and make predictions but what are those predictions based upon? How many games have these posters seen Molly and Kyla play? Who really can make an informed judgement that these kids don't have the potential skills, grit, determination, BBIQ or intensity to emerge into players far better then the HS rankings suggest. Geno has a pretty good track record and he, at least, sees something in Kyla and Molly.Would I trade Klya or Molly right now for Ionescu or Holmes, or Cox, or Boley or Young....yes I would but I am not prepared to make judgement that Molly orand Kyla are not going to turn out to be terrific players.

I agree Barolo. I think a lot of the criticism comes from a lack of knowledge (due to not having seen them play). This is 2016, UConn has won 11 national championships and have been to 17 final fours...in short Geno & Co. have been doing this very successfully for a long time. If they chose to go after Kyla and Molly and offer them spots over other players, why shouldn't we as fans trust that they know they are bringing the players that they think are going to help bring NC's numbers 12 and beyond. They have probably seen them play more than anyone.

I can't claim to have seen Kyla play at all, so I will not judge her ability to be a contributor or not. I have seen Molly play probably 8-10 times in person. I think all husky fans will be very pleasantly surprised with her. I think her lack of a high ranking has a multitude of factors but some are that she didn't start playing AAU basketball full time/on a significant team until after her sophomore year of high school due to her soccer playing abilities (one of the best players in the northeast from what I've been told/could have easily played at the Division 1 level) and that her game is not one that jumps out in the AAU setting to the "experts". She is very much a pass first guard in the half court setting but is very-very good at it and is an incredibly skilled defender. She sees the game on the floor in a way that not very many high school players see it. That's not to say she can't score because she did score 28 points per game at the high school division 1 level in Mass her sophomore season before transferring to prep school where she played with and against many future division 1 college players night in and night out in every game she played in for the past 3 years. So I think that she is more than ready to come in and compete for playing time.

Reaction Score
Who is saying anything like that about our incoming players? Stewie, Tuck, and Mo they will never be, but I doubt they will be failures, whatever that means.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is think it terribly unfair to summarily paint the posters with such a broad brush. If you are determined to paint with such a broad brush then at least paint positively and within the lines. The outer limits of those lines should include 1) We all hope that Molly & Kyla will excel as UCONN players 2) The coaches who recruited them know best and will determine what their future holds. Within those lines there has been much speculation about playing time and the role they will play. This is no different than is done for any incoming UCONN player. Included in that speculation was a the high school rankings of both players but this was not idle. For every poster that relied on the high school ranking or lack of to make a point there was a "positive" counter point that pointed out the inconsistencies and past inaccuracies of the rating services. For every evaluation made of these players from video there was a request of additional video. Some posters made it a point to go see Molly play and report back an opinion. For example one poster and I'm paraphrasing reported back that if Molly were on the current UCONN roster she would be among the best conditioned. That is remarkable praise considering that the UCONN roster included Moriah Jefferson. The word "failure" was never used by any poster to describe what these players would be at UCONN. Just to make sure I did a search. The words "role player" was used often even some crazy poster (Me) predicted Kyla would be a starter as a Freshmen. There was also that crazy Head coach of a DI team America East conference who said Molly was a recruiting steal for UCONN. You say that you understand that the purpose of the board is to "to express our opinions and make predictions" do you also understand that you are free to disagree?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have TOTAL faith in the coaching and recruiting done by this staff..... The most important spot on the roster in WCBB is the head coach followed closely by the asst coaches..... It is about teaching the fundamentals, and adopting the mindset of winning..... UConn has done that no question..... Wouldn't want to root for any other team out there but ours..... they have been doing, are doing , and will do a superlative job with the roster, and I salute them all.

Reaction Score
Maybe some people have seen them play. And seen enough of them. Nevertheless it is each person's opinion.

Some people unlike yourself just have an eye for talent. I don't think no one hate the recruits at all. Most wish them (all) well. But I'll be dam if I confess to being blind when i know I'm not.

Of the two players this poster pointed out one has great potential to be really good besides CD. I don't need to speak of the other because that will take care of itself as it always has and will.

Let people be entitled to their opinion. You don't have to like it at all.

No matter how great a coaching staff is, and they are great. Some players are just better than others and get it and have the talent to execute and some don't. The rankings (though not always correct) is there for a reason.

It is what it is.

Reaction Score
That is so unfair to these young ladies. .smh! I'm pretty sure they'll use it as motivation! They don't have to be great players (as they say). They just have to be great at what they do! I have faith in the UCONN coaching staff as well as these young ladies.

Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla are going to be failures or at best ordinary role players.
I think you've heard a few outlying comments and generalized to the whole crew of us. Or you may be hearing the worrisome buzz some have about whether we have a "big" if Natalie doesn't develop as we hope, and, if not, whether that's a fatal flaw. And, therefore, why Geno hasn't recruited one. But we all agree that these are great, great kids with a huge amount of upside. The coaching staff is (not so) quietly really excited about them, and so are we.

Reaction Score
I have said great things about them all and i have read many dozens of superlatives about them here on the BY.There will be thousands of fans cheering their every move on the court for 4 years and will have superstar Uconn family status forever because they chose to play at the basketball capitol of all wcbb.

Reaction Score
You know what I agree that these are great kids regardless of the different talent (more or less) each have. And i believe Geno doesn't always recruit 5 Star Caliber Players all the time intentionally. But he does recruit 5 Star Great Character Players more so than not.

...He will pursue a player or invite walk-ons based on their limited SKILL set and good character - great player or not and teach them game as He would a 5 Star player.

when i saw the joy and jubulant smile on that Senior kid's face (who came into the Championship game and hit that 3 ball with 30 seconds left) I knew what it was all about then.

We all want the best of the best talent knowing who we have to compete with every year. That talent is there and more shall come.

With that said, there is always a place on the Huskies for wbb players period.

And yes it does remain to be seen what type of player they will become. No matter the talent level I hope they turn out to be the best they can be.

Now lets wheel in some more (5) stars too.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Geno had signed either Lauren Cox, Joyner Holmes or Tori McCoy then most would be saying how great the 2016 class is. Geno did sign Crystal Dangerfield, the #1 Ranked guard and if you listen to the experts/evaluators two role players in Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. What's missing in Geno's recruiting classes over the last four years is the elite Center/Power Forward. Morgan was the last Elite center/forward that Geno signed. Boykin although not considered an Elite player may have been able to fill the role of power forward, but due to injuries and other circumstances she decided to transfer.

Got to get an Elite Center/Power Forward in the 2017 Recruiting class.

Reaction Score
While that may turn out to be true I think it is terribly unfair to Molly and Kyla to make that sort of judgement or prediction before they have played a single minute in a UCONN uniform just because they weren't highly rated in the HS rankings. In fact IMO we wYoung....yes I would but I am not prepared to make judgement that Molly orand Kyla are not going to turn out to be terrific players.

I'd say these three recruits are incredibly lucky in that they will have a chance to play significant minutes next season instead of languishing on the bench as many have done in their freshman year. "All" they have to do is prove they are ready to contribute.....................I sure hope they do!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
If Geno had signed either Lauren Cox, Joyner Holmes or Tori McCoy then most would be saying how great the 2016 class is. Geno did sign Crystal Dangerfield, the #1 Ranked guard and if you listen to the experts/evaluators two role players in Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. What's missing in Geno's recruiting classes over the last four years is the elite Center/Power Forward. Morgan was the last Elite center/forward that Geno signed. Boykin although not considered an Elite player may have been able to fill the role of power forward, but due to injuries and other circumstances she decided to transfer.

Got to get an Elite Center/Power Forward in the 2017 Recruiting class.
Well put. But no matter how the recruiting for another big turns out, by all appearances we've got two great kids with great attitudes coming in and we are greatly looking forward to watching them play and grow at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Is think it terribly unfair to summarily paint the posters with such a broad brush. If you are determined to paint with such a broad brush then at least paint positively and within the lines. The outer limits of those lines should include 1) We all hope that Molly & Kyla will excel as UCONN players 2) The coaches who recruited them know best and will determine what their future holds. Within those lines there has been much speculation about playing time and the role they will play. This is no different than is done for any incoming UCONN player. Included in that speculation was a the high school rankings of both players but this was not idle. For every poster that relied on the high school ranking or lack of to make a point there was a "positive" counter point that pointed out the inconsistencies and past inaccuracies of the rating services. For every evaluation made of these players from video there was a request of additional video. Some posters made it a point to go see Molly play and report back an opinion. For example one poster and I'm paraphrasing reported back that if Molly were on the current UCONN roster she would be among the best conditioned. That is remarkable praise considering that the UCONN roster included Moriah Jefferson. The word "failure" was never used by any poster to describe what these players would be at UCONN. Just to make sure I did a search. The words "role player" was used often even some crazy poster (Me) predicted Kyla would be a starter as a Freshmen. There was also that crazy Head coach of a DI team America East conference who said Molly was a recruiting steal for UCONN. You say that you understand that the purpose of the board is to "to express our opinions and make predictions" do you also understand that you are free to disagree?
I don't think I went in with both feet but at 6 . 2 and great post build put that along with Mom's a coach, former Ct (state) player--my "hopes" are for her to excel. If Bent lives up to half of all the positive postings Uconn will be in good hands. I know I shouldn't praise Dangerfield or compare her to Jefferson--which I have done often--so I won't.
One more comment: Geno isn't retire, hasn't announced any desire to retire, has talked about the joy of coaching this new group---so can we please leave the POST GENO defecation for the day he announces it ??
Can you imagine (and I do) the amount of negative comments opposing coaches are giving potential recruits over the postings about his retirement??? Recruiting is tough enough why feed them food for festering??? General comment not aimed at anyone specially..

Reaction Score
Geno & assistants judgment; Didn't they recruit, 2 years ago, some girl with two busted knees with a reputation for high jumping & some limited basketball playing experience. Hum, I wonder what happened to that girl ? Doubt that she would ever make the starting five ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did you miss this thread or this one?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How Connecticut's 2016 Recruiting Class Came To Be
This Article from Nov, 2015 1) Contains quotes from Geno & tell you what Geno thinks of Molly and Kyla 2) Contains explanations as to why the two might not have been rated higher 3) Most important contains a testimonial from Kyla's AAU coach -Tina Thomas. Tina Thomas should know! She is the mother of the former 3 time ACC player of the year and AA-Alyssa-Yes that Alyssa Thomas.

Reaction Score
Does anyone recall what was Kelly Faris ranked coming out of high school?

Yes Kelly was #34 in rankings..... I remember Geno saying several times.... after success he expected recruits to flock our way..... they didn't .... after Diana years it was 5 yrs before a title.... after Maya 3 yrs.... it may take a little time..... everyone thinks this stuff is automatic.... but it is hard work..... I let the coaches do their stuff..... and good things will happen.... Go Huskies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes Kelly was #34 in rankings..... I remember Geno saying several times.... after success he expected recruits to flock our way..... they didn't .... after Diana years it was 5 yrs before a title.... after Maya 3 yrs.... it may take a little time..... everyone thinks this stuff is automatic.... but it is hard work..... I let the coaches do their stuff..... and good things will happen.... Go Huskies.

Kelly was the precursor to a certain big named Kiah Stokes. Each, for whatever reason, chose to hide their offensive skills under a basket (no pun intended). Kelly said during the NCAA's of her senior year that she then regretted doing that. Sometimes the coaches have no key, the key lies within the player and only they can turn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom