Tennessee | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Transfers mean you have a short window to assimilate these players into your culture and style of play. Doesn't always work.

Listen to Wes Moore and Vic Schaffer and their post games pressers. Both reference it.
This is why its dangerous and probably not sustainable to live on transfers to build your team or be the foundation at least. They may assimilate down the road but it may take a long time to even get there.

With the 2023 class having zero recruits and it being senior heavy as is, they will have to go portal shopping again to help build next years group. Assuming Horston and Rickea go to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I think that is something even the great Pat struggled with at the end of her career, and her successors haven't figured out. Having toughness and intensity isn't enough if you don't understand defensive rotations and help defense, and it doesn't help if you don't know when and where to set screens or make cuts on offense. And installing a 'system' isn't just drawing Xs and Os on a board, but actually teaching the concepts and the correct stances and the theory so the players can adapt as the defensive and offensive positions shift.
Pat was all about effort and I recall Holly saying the same thing. During one of Warlick's less press conferences she went on and on about effort. I watched that game and commented then I thought the effort from the players was just fine but they seemed to have no plan on how to produce points and defensive stops. Games require effort, but they also require strategy.

I am someone who still thinks Harper is an upgrade from Warlick on the coaching end but her failure to recruit at the level needed for TN to sustain success is troubling. She's already made staff changes and after going shopping (successfully on paper) in the portal they came up empty again. I truly wonder what is happening there. Also while I do think she's a better game coach, the upgrade isn't that significant overall.

TN has struggled for years with stopping the outside shot when 3s are falling for their opponent and seem to have defensive lapses during games where a talented team can go on a run that has buried them on a few occasions.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Saw a fair amount of this one. LadyVol has athleticism/height and basketball talent.
But....????

Gonzaga is a solid team...imo...they have no business playing even [plus one] with LadyVol.
Great win for them.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think the worst bit was after the buzzer sounded and the game was over. Rickea Jackson stomped her feet, walked past teammate Tamari Key’s outstretched hand, and went straight off the court to the locker room. No looking at the coach, no high-fiving a teammate, and no sportsmanship of good games to Gonzaga after.

Overall, Horston had a decent game only three turnovers, granted, one turnover was her travel on that inbounds ahead by one with 14.5 seconds left was a bit of a momentum killer.

Reaction Score
I think the worst bit was after the buzzer sounded and the game was over. Rickea Jackson stomped her feet, walked past teammate Tamari Key’s outstretched hand, and went straight off the court to the locker room. No looking at the coach, no high-fiving a teammate, and no sportsmanship of good games to Gonzaga after.

Overall, Horston had a decent game only three turnovers, granted, one turnover was her travel on that inbounds ahead by one with 14.5 seconds left was a bit of a momentum killer.

That’s who it was. I saw that. Wonder if she’s regretting her decision

Reaction Score
Pat was all about effort and I recall Holly saying the same thing. During one of Warlick's less press conferences she went on and on about effort. I watched that game and commented then I thought the effort from the players was just fine but they seemed to have no plan on how to produce points and defensive stops. Games require effort, but they also require strategy.

I am someone who still thinks Harper is an upgrade from Warlick on the coaching end but her failure to recruit at the level needed for TN to sustain success is troubling. She's already made staff changes and after going shopping (successfully on paper) in the portal they came up empty again. I truly wonder what is happening there. Also while I do think she's a better game coach, the upgrade isn't that significant overall.

TN has struggled for years with stopping the outside shot when 3s are falling for their opponent and seem to have defensive lapses during games where a talented team can go on a run that has buried them on a few occasions.
i am with you in that Holly tried to mimic Pat and stress effort yet she never demanded it. Didnt sit her players down when they lacked the effort..... KJH is better than Holly agreed but i wonder.... she sure is making herself look bad.... TN defeated by OSU Indiana Gonzaga UCLA all these teams looked fluid they outrebounded TN..... they looked well put together and showed will to win

Reaction Score
Watching Tennessee makes me think they are not coached at all. Seems they do whatever they want on the court. 1 pass into the set and it breaks down to a 1 on 1 situation. No discipline No correction No continuity. Athletes but no true basketball players. Scrap it all and start over. Starting at the top. Oh and recruiting is horrible!!

Reaction Score
Dang, that isn't good at all. Sadly, as the losses pile up moving forward, there will be more of things like this and a lot of other internal tension fueling internally.

Reaction Score
i am with you in that Holly tried to mimic Pat and stress effort yet she never demanded it.
I apologize if this sounds dumb but I can't help but think...

I don't mean this in a bad way but this "mimic Pat" thing is a major turn off for me. I know as I saw this first hand under Nikki Fargas at LSU, all she kept stressing was trying to do things the way Pat did and it simply was NEVER going to work.

These coaches would be better off owning who they are and creating THEIR legacy and system then trying to recreate "Pat" or another coach from the past. You simply cannot recreate that. Similarly, I hope when Geno's successor takes over one day, they don't try to "recreate" Geno, they just aren't going to do that. You can hope to be as successful but I think trying to mimic styles that aren't compatible with who you are as a coach/person is not a successful recipe.

Reaction Score

Ironically, they did a great job of that for Q2-4 today after getting torched in the 1st Q. The problem is they otherwise aren't well coached. They make horrible decisions and go 1-on-3 way too much.

Reaction Score
I thought Jackson and Horston played better together. Franklin was taking no prisoners. Darby can shoot, but unfortunately on the defensive end she's a liability. I think Pucket could help if she could get more PT. Overall, they need to work on getting their assists up. It's a gift to the defense when they know you have no intention of passing. You end up with high turnovers and charges. The good news is they have the ingredients.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree that TN has better athletes than the 4 teams they lost to this season. Also questionable if TN players are more skilled. In any case, it is going to take some great coaching to get TN back to winning ways, and not let this November ruin their season.

Reaction Score
I honestly liked what Franklin brought to the table inside. She played tough and actually snagged a bit of rebounds. Key played 20 minutes and only got 1 rebound. How on earth does a 6'6 player have only ONE rebound?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree that TN has better athletes than the 4 teams they lost to this season. Also questionable if TN players are more skilled. In any case, it is going to take some great coaching to get TN back to winning ways, and not let this November ruin their season.
I think "more skilled" is the operative phrase here. Athletes, yes, skilled WBB players (and good coaching), not so much.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tennessee is 2-4 and those losses are to #4 Ohio State, #6 Indiana, #20 UCLA and #28 Gonzaga (who beat Louisville) so it is not like they lost to bad teams. The problem is they were over-ranked at #4 in the preseason poll and their Portal additions were and still are over hyped (Powell, Jackson, Hollingshead) and their one recruit was #11 Justine Pissott who has not looked good yet. Those expectations make it seem like they are failing badly. Add in some questionable end of game or even overall coaching and you have a disgruntled group of fans. Whether Kellie can get them to play together is an unknown and the time to gel needs to already be in process which is a "maybe".

Should this team be 2-4, no, they should probably be 3-3 or even 4-2.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is 2-4 and those losses are to #4 Ohio State, #6 Indiana, #20 UCLA and #28 Gonzaga (who beat Louisville) so it is not like they lost to bad teams. The problem is they were over-ranked at #4 in the preseason poll and their Portal additions were and still are over hyped (Powell, Jackson, Hollingshead) and their one recruit was #11 Justine Pissott who has not looked good yet. Those expectations make it seem like they are failing badly. Add in some questionable end of game or even overall coaching and you have a disgruntled group of fans. Whether Kellie can get them to play together is an unknown and the time to gel needs to already be in process which is a "maybe".

I agree that they were overranked. Question is...by how much. If losing to #20 and 28 isn't a bad loss, then at best they should have been ranked 16ish or lower. Here's why I see them as bad losses. When it comes to March and seeding, then they will need some good wins. The only ranked teams remaining on their schedule are VT (11), LSU(12) and the current ranked 1-3 teams. They could potentially end up with zero wins against a ranked team. I think they miss the tournament if this happens. They would normally have more games against ranked teams, but the SEC is in a down year.

Reaction Score
I'm curious whether

I thought Jackson was potentially a good pickup.

Really didn't understand why bringing in Hollingshead was supposed to be a big deal for this year.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
That’s who she is. She’s a great offensive player but she isn’t interested in defense. Kellie may be the one regretting it.
I wonder if that's why she didn't end up elsewhere, like LSU where a coach like Kim wouldn't stand for such things.

Reaction Score
I’ve always liked Rikea but agree she is only interested in scoring points. I also think that she is super discouraged about her whole career thus far and it is showing. Unfortunate for her to lose the coach she committed to then Mississippi State turned into a dumpster fire. She probably thought this was her chance to make a run in the tournament but it does not look like that will happen (as of now).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I apologize if this sounds dumb but I can't help but think...

I don't mean this in a bad way but this "mimic Pat" thing is a major turn off for me. I know as I saw this first hand under Nikki Fargas at LSU, all she kept stressing was trying to do things the way Pat did and it simply was NEVER going to work.

These coaches would be better off owning who they are and creating THEIR legacy and system then trying to recreate "Pat" or another coach from the past. You simply cannot recreate that. Similarly, I hope when Geno's successor takes over one day, they don't try to "recreate" Geno, they just aren't going to do that. You can hope to be as successful but I think trying to mimic styles that aren't compatible with who you are as a coach/person is not a successful recipe.
Ironically, Shea Ralph is channeling Geno at Vandy but since a part of his “system”, if it’s that defined, is learning your players’ strengths and weaknesses and coaching to maximize the first and cover up the second, it’s vey fluid. The “system” is designed around the players rather than forcing the players into a rigid scheme.

Carla Berube did the same thing at Tufts and got them to the D3 Final Four a couple times.

Reaction Score
Interesting view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32