Tennessee Postgame thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Dr. Fairfield Fan, do you know that they didn't have her looked at after the game, or just think that. I believe the reason she did not play was because the medical staff thought it was best for her to rest, not Geno. I've had concussion's with one of them that was so bad that I had a week's stay at Landstuhl Army Hospital, others were a couple of aspirins and some rest. So unless you are privey to what happened and what was diagnosed then leave it to the people that do.

Umm... As I pointed out, concussions are often not properly diagnosed by staff of athletic teams. It's a scandal, actually. So I'll stock with my opinion that she should be careful. Wouldn't you if your child had been whacked in the head repeatedly? Or doesn't it matter?

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that after Nika shovel passed to Azzi for her last 3, she was back peddling towards midcourt with her arm up in the air? She knew it was going in. Awesome.
AND...if you look real close you can see that Nika has 3 fingers raised on that right hand... I think she put up the "3" before Azzi even got off the shot. I chuckle every time I see a replay of it... The opposition however probably thought it was "show boating".... too bad! :D

Reaction Score
I am going to go one step further. IMO, Fudd had a terrific game, not because of the 7-9 3 point shooting or the 25 points. Not to belittle either but three of the 3’s and 11 of the points came in garbage time from the 4 minute mark up 14 to the end of the game. So yes, she scored and shot very well but……..…to me, m
LOL. I don't like the way you diminish Azzi.
Firstly, 14 points left in 4 minutes something is never a garbage time. And Tenn shot 57% and outscored us in the 4th Qtr until Azzi exploded. Azzi shot 4/4 in the 4th Qtr and the other UConn players only shot 2/9. She protected our victory.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Firstly, 14 points left in 4 minutes something is never a garbage time. And Tenn shot 57% and outscored us in the 4th Qtr until Azzi exploded. Azzi shot 4/4 in the 4th Qtr and the other UConn players only shot 2/9. She protected our victory.
UConn won by 19. Suppose Fudd does not score those garbage time points? The score would have gotten a lot tighter and who knows what might have happened. To minimize what Fudd did was petty. It is important to build on your lead to keep a game from getting close.

Reaction Score
a day later but few thoughts on the game:
*This game (after the first quarter) felt like UConn of old kind of game (maybe it was the uniforms) with energy, hustle, smart plays, defense, actually running plays and making shots.
*What an amazing difference for how the game looks when you have a kid like Azzi who shoots so well.
*Azzi's fundamentals and basketball iq are off the chart.
*Now we can really dream of what (next season) a backcourt of Paige, Azzi and CD with Nika off the bench, can look like. Can you say the best backcourt in the country (by far)
*We saw the AE of last season in this game. This is the kid that thought got a good chance to be an AA one day. Hopefully this version stays for the rest of the season!
*Feel bad for CD for not playing in this game but her interactions on the bench and the whole bench responsiveness for what was going on the court was fantastic! Oh..and Paige is having way too much fun :)
*Geno couched a real good game. All his substitutions were on point. his Time Outs timely and the game planned worked real well. Clearly his half court adjustments worked as well with UConn starting the 3rd quarter so well.
The players:
*Azzi; wow wow wow
*AE: her best game of the season (by far). And that 3 was smooth (didn't touch rim).
*E: it was real good to see the emotions of E in this game. While not shooting well, she contributed a lot to this win.
*Nika: her energy is something else... hear Nika roar...
*ONO: fantastic on defense but still no offense against similar size players.
*DJ: contributed but hopefully will play better next game. There was one sequence where she had the ball behind the 3 point line, looked to the right, saw Azzi free and decided to shoot the 3 (and missed). Note for all UConn players: if you have an open shot for 3 and Azzi got an open shot for 3, please pass Azzi the ball.
*CW: this is a game she'd like to forget (aside then the win). On offense she was absolutely terrible (aside than that beautiful pass to Nike for a 3.

Next 3 games are against the best 3 (out of 4) teams in the conference so good tests for the team to see if the progress is real.
Pls enuff negative comments on Liv .. she and Nika had the game wrapped up in the middle of the 3rd quarter when Nika hit the trey and made the steal and layup to put them up by 21 .. and Liv controlled the paint, eh? .. Azzi had yet to get rolling at this point.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Umm... As I pointed out, concussions are often not properly diagnosed by staff of athletic teams. It's a scandal, actually. So I'll stock with my opinion that she should be careful. Wouldn't you if your child had been whacked in the head repeatedly? Or doesn't it matter?
Please sight a case where UConn did that, since you are stating "It's a scandal, actually."

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nika's 5 straight points in the middle of the 3rd quarter put UConn up 21 points - 46-25 - and put the game out of reach. Most of Fudd's scoring came after this point, i.e. when the game was out of reach. TN's measly 25 points were the result of Liv's patrolling the paint. These two were our players of the game, eh? Don't be fooled by "mop up" points!
As much basketball as you have watched, I can't believe you said that. Take away Fudd's "mop up" points and the game would have been much closer. Tennessee won a number of their games because other teams did not score mop up points in the last four minutes of the fourth quarter. Just ask Texas.

Reaction Score
As much basketball as you have watched, I can't believe you said that. Take away Fudd's "mop up" points and the game would have been much closer. Tennessee won a number of their games because other teams did not score mop up points in the last four minutes of the fourth quarter. Just ask Texas.

Geno, like most every other coach goes into clock burning mode way too soon. Tenn cut the lead for about 25 to 14 in a couple of minutes as Geno had his team "burning clock". If Fudd didn't make those 3's that 14 pts could have been 5 or 6 with over a minute left and we would have to sweat out ONO and Williams at the ft line.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that after Nika shovel passed to Azzi for her last 3, she was back peddling towards midcourt with her arm up in the air? She knew it was going in. Awesome.
I think it's a good bet when she is that open. I had a golf partner who would do that to my putts. He was often wrong and I blamed him for jinxing me. Jinxes are real, Just wait for an announcer to say "she hasn't missed a free throw in a week. 28 straight" :rolleyes:

Expect this during Fudd's 4 years. She's a 90%+ ft shooter.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Hmm. You start with "often not properly diagnosed" (by whom?), move on to to "a scandal" (on whose part) and then on to implying that "it doesn't matter" to MSGRET that she possibly suffered a concussion. All guilt by implication, no? Why not just as easily assume that the department "staff" at Uconn and the coaches and the medical people did in fact assess her condition. In fact, I believe that in the end Geno determined that she would not suit up or play.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good bet when she is that open. I had a golf partner who would do that to my putts. He was often wrong and I blamed him for jinxing me. Jinxes are real, Just wait for an announcer to say "she hasn't missed a free throw in a week. 28 straight" :rolleyes:

Free throws are gunna be boring. She's gunna have games from the field that she will barely touch iron. It's gunna be so fun! Yesterday was fun. You can't beat shooting like that. Aliyah Boston can make 5 layups in a row, and they're gunna be down 3 or 4. I'm pumped!

Reaction Score
At 4:48 of the 4th quarter- it was 62-48.
Was still a game at that point.
Hot hand for Tenn on 3 trips and it’s a 5 point game.
I’ve seen crazier things happen.
Azzi applied the kill shots.
End of story.

Reaction Score

And Yet she missed the only Free Throw she took vs Tenn... :confused::cool:

Reaction Score
Nika's 5 straight points in the middle of the 3rd quarter put UConn up 21 points - 46-25 - and put the game out of reach. Most of Fudd's scoring came after this point, i.e. when the game was out of reach. TN's measly 25 points were the result of Liv's patrolling the paint. These two were our players of the game, eh? Don't be fooled by "mop up" points!
If I recall correctly, Tennessee still had their front line players (i.e. Starters) in the game at that point and for the majority of the 4th quarter. Tennessee was still playing the game in an attempt to mount a comeback. Coach Harper had not waived the white flag...

The history of sports (team and individual) is littered with "sure wins" that turned into losses (or very close calls) because someone let up on the gas.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
UConn won by 19. Suppose Fudd does not score those garbage time points? The score would have gotten a lot tighter and who knows what might have happened. To minimize what Fudd did was petty. It is important to build on your lead to keep a game from getting close.
Agreed! Geno has complained that as a team there is not killer instinct. That's the killer instinct, "Git'em down, keep'em down!"

Reaction Score
Yeah but we have Liv ... and they don't!

Reaction Score
Yes we did.

Reaction Score
No one diminished anyone, I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours.

Reaction Score
At 4:48 of the 4th quarter- it was 62-48.
Was still a game at that point.
Hot hand for Tenn on 3 trips and it’s a 5 point game.
I’ve seen crazier things happen.
Azzi applied the kill shots.
End of story.
Nika Muhl hit the 'kill shots' in the 3rd quarter to give us a 21 point lead. Azzi scored 16 second-half points after we had that twenty point lead. Need I say more? And wasn't it Nika Muhl who selflessly dished to Azzi to hit that final 3-ball that made the fans go wild? End of story.

Reaction Score
Where do we go to see the +/- on the year? I really would like to see the data.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Nika's 8 points essentially was the key to the team winning over Azzi's 9 for16 with seven 3 pointers for 25. Lot's of people contributed. Azzi won the game.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I had to steal this;

I don’t even follow Women’s BB but this is just so typical of any Vol fan.

1.) Expect the world
2.) Have success and feel substantiated
3.) Fail and rage
4.) Justify failure
5.) See step 1

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Nika's 8 points essentially was the key to the team winning over Azzi's 9 for16 with seven 3 pointers for 25. Lot's of people contributed. Azzi won the game.
The game was already decided by Nika and Liv - a 21 point lead - before Azzi scored any of her 16 second-half points. I luv Azzi but let's give credit where credit is due, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom