Tennessee No Longer a Top 25 Team | The Boneyard

Tennessee No Longer a Top 25 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
SCar lost some votes but are still #2... can't slip up too bad between now and NCAA tourney or they could easily slip to 3. They should beat the rest of the teams they play though so I don't think they are in any danger.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lady Vols will probably be ranked in the AP Poll next week as they'll probably beat Vandy. They play So Carolina on Monday which should be a double digit loss and won't be ranked again in the Coaches Poll.

However with that said Lady Vols have the talent to stay with the Gamecocks if they shorten their rotation. They have the three point shooters if Holly would only play them significant minutes.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Lady Vols will probably be ranked in the AP Poll next week as they'll probably beat Vandy. They play So Carolina on Monday which should be a double digit loss and won't be ranked again in the Coaches Poll.

However with that said Lady Vols have the talent to stay with the Gamecocks if they shorten their rotation. They have the three point shooters if Holly would only play them significant minutes.
If they beat SCar... the sky will fall in Knoxville... fans all across the state will come off of their respirators and walk out in to the sunshine for the first time in months.

Reaction Score
How long was Tennessee ranked in the Top 25?

Damn how far the mighty have fallen.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
South Carolina should be #2......They deserve it. They were one of 2 remaining undefeated teams. Getting beat by UConn should not cost them.
The only reason that they were undefeated longer than Notre Dame was because they played UConn later in the year than Notre Dame.

Evidence for Notre Dame to be ranked above South Carolina:
  1. Their only loss was to UConn at Gampel by 10, whereas South Carolina lost by 12 at home.
  2. Notre Dame played UConn more competitively than S. Carolina. It was a 2-point game at the half.
  3. Notre Dame was without Brianna Turner for the entire game. A'ja Wilson was available for half the game.
  4. Notre Dame is ranked higher in Sagarin, Massey, RPI, and NPI (Nolan Power index).
  5. It has been a longer time since Notre Dame has lost a game (16 game winning streak).
  6. Notre Dame has played a tougher schedule.

Reaction Score
Good. My only hope is they don't fall below #64 in the eyes of the Selection Committee and miss The Dance... and the possibility of spending a lovely evening trying to stop Tierney, Polly, and the rest of our squad.

Reaction Score
The only reason that they were undefeated longer than Notre Dame was because they played UConn later in the year than Notre Dame.

1. Their only loss was to UConn at Gampel by 10, whereas South Carolina lost by 12 at home.
  2. Notre Dame played UConn more competitively than S. Carolina. It was a 2-point game at the half.
  3. Notre Dame was without Brianna Turner for the entire game. A'ja Wilson was available for half the game.
  4. Notre Dame is ranked higher in Sagarin, Massey, RPI, and NPI (Nolan Power index).
  5. It has been a longer time since Notre Dame has lost a game (16 game winning streak).

Very compelling facts. I agree ND should be ranked #2 ahead of SCar.

HGN

Reaction Score

Choke , most , if not ALL the ranking services , look at your 'Evidence' and facts and still rank SC ahead of the Irish. Evidently they see the SEC as more competitive than the ACC this year. All I am saying is that they shouldn't change their ranking based upon SC's loss last night. I give you a kudo on one piece of Evidence you did state , and that is SC loss at home.

Reaction Score
  1. Notre Dame has played a tougher schedule.

Debateable

vs Massey Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 6-1
vs Sagarin Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 8-1
vs RPI Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 8-1

vs Massey Top 50: ND 9-1 / SC 10-1
vs Sagarin Top 50: ND 8-1 / SC 11-1
vs RPI Top 50: ND 7-1 / SC 8-1

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
By Sagarin, and figuring in the home court advantage, the LV are only 1.1 pt favorites over Vandy, if I read the thing correctly, and an 8-9 pt underdog to SCar.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter being no.2 or 3? Let them duke out in the ncaa semi, whoever wins is the no.2 to end the season and has the right to play against uconn again in the final

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Debateable

vs Massey Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 6-1
vs Sagarin Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 8-1
vs RPI Top 25: ND 6-1 / SC 8-1

vs Massey Top 50: ND 9-1 / SC 10-1
vs Sagarin Top 50: ND 8-1 / SC 11-1
vs RPI Top 50: ND 7-1 / SC 8-1

I noted that and thought it was interesting. At the same time, Sagarin has ND's schedule ranked #3 vs. #9 for SCar. Massey has it as #3 for ND and #5 for SCar. And ND's conventional (RPI) SoS is #4 vs. #12 for SCar

So all 3 measures have ND with the tougher schedule, though SC has a played (and beaten) a few more top teams. Basically, a wash for the purposes of arguing who is better, I'd say.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SCar lost some votes but are still #2... can't slip up too bad between now and NCAA tourney or they could easily slip to 3. They should beat the rest of the teams they play though so I don't think they are in any danger.

I suggested in another post that South Carolina should not drop a single spot in the rankings because they lost to UConn. UConn was ranked above them. IMHO, you should only drop if you lose to a program ranked BELOW you. If that loss is to an unranked team, you should fall like a rock.

If you're ranked in the top 25, that means you are one of the best 25 schools in the country. You're suppose to be better than any of the programs ranked below you (although we all know this is not always the case).

If/when you're exposed, and lose to a lower ranked program, depending on the margin of the score should (and if your team had any starters out due to injury or suspension), you should fall accordingly.

Example: if you're ranked #14, and you lose to an unranked by 15 points at home, you should drop to no higher than #23.

Lose to an unranked on the road by 2, you drop 4 spots (even though the game was close, you still lost). Being ranked comes with high expectations. Beating teams that are ranked below you is one of them.

There is absolutely NO WAY it should not have taken Tennessee this long to fall out of the top 25.
Tennessee has not been a top 25 team for several weeks.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Choke , most , if not ALL the ranking services , look at your 'Evidence' and facts and still rank SC ahead of the Irish. Evidently they see the SEC as more competitive than the ACC this year. All I am saying is that they shouldn't change their ranking based upon SC's loss last night. I give you a kudo on one piece of Evidence you did state , and that is SC loss at home.

Maybe your data are out of date. Click on the ranking name to visit the site.

Sagarin has Notre Dame ranked 2nd and South Carolina 5th.
Massey has Notre Dame ranked 2nd and South Carolina 3rd.
RPI has Notre Dame ranked 1st and South Carolina 3rd.
NPI has Notre Dame ranked 2nd and South Carolina 4th.
Sonny Moore has Notre Dame ranked 2nd and South Carolina 5th.

If you are referring to the Coaches' Poll, that it the point of contention that started the argument because it goes against all of the computer ranking systems (and I would argue common sense).

If you are referring to the AP Poll, that was published before last night's loss to the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Baylor is a team I think is flying under the radar. Their 3 guard lineup in Niya Johnson, Alexis Jones, and Kristy Wallace are really starting to click since the Texas game. That lineup allows Nina Davis back to her collegiate dominating position at the 4.

Do I think Baylor can beat South Carolina on a neutral court?
Yes
Do I think Baylor can beat this years Notre Dame on a neutral court?
Yes

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Baylor is a team I think is flying under the radar. Their 3 guard lineup in Niya Johnson, Alexis Jones, and Kristy Wallace are really starting to click since the Texas game. That lineup allows Nina Davis back to her collegiate dominating position at the 4.

Do I think Baylor can beat South Carolina on a neutral court?
Yes
Do I think Baylor can beat this years Notre Dame on a neutral court?
Yes
I agree with you - they're the real deal. Except about them being "under the radar". I don't think many folks that closely follow wcbb would be surprised to see them in Indy.

Reaction Score
LVs against tuffer competition? ala South Carolina, etc..... Sadly for them, although they have the talent on paper to compete, Holly is poor at game coaching, and will not be able to string together adequate decisions on the bench for 40 straight minutes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom