Tennessee Lady Vols | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Lady Vols

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Outgoing coaches picking their successor is pretty much always a bad move. Let the AD do their job.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what a few legendary coaches do. Retire late in the off-season, pretty much forces the AD to hire the top assistant. Can't recall when Summit stepped down, but Dean Smith retired in October I think.
Summit's case was much more unique, though.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Lawson would’ve never went there. I read on the Vol board, there are-were issues in regards to the LBGQ community. I don’t know exactly what it has to with though
Lawson lost to Clempson tonight.

Reaction Score
Outgoing coaches picking their successor is pretty much always a bad move. Let the AD do their job.
However in this case, this AD has and it hasn't paid off for Tennessee based on current results and fanbase sentiment.

Reaction Score
Another player who Harper recruited that we seem to forget is Marta Suarez who is now at Cal in the PAC12. Just noticed her stat line for last night against Gonzaga.

19 pts, 10 RB, with a 43.8 FG% in 43 minutes. That kind of production could have been helpful to the Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Smith was the beginning. Guthridge went to two final fours in 3 years... one was a suprise, one was expected. Matt Doherty was a hiccup (though I thoroughly enjoyed his tenure)

Guthridge had something to do with Doherty's flop but Doherty was just a crazy bad hire.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Tennessee is now ranked 96 in the NET. If you beat them at their place, it’s a Quad Two win. If you beat them at home it’s a Quad 3 win.

Our SOS just keeps crashing!
:confused::(:confused:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I thought Matt Doherty was a fine coach for those blue bellies in Chapel Hill. Too bad they didn't stick with him longer. The 8-20 season was a dandy!
Yeah, their AD really messed up by hiring a coach who would lead them to 3 NCAA championships and 9 ACC titles over the next 18 seasons. Actually outperformed Coach K over the same period.

Judging by Kevin Keatts's longevity, the standards at NC State aren't quite as high.

Reaction Score
When I look at Harper's career, I see considerable success at mid-majors (WCU, MO State) and mediocrity at power 5 programs (though .... I mean, she's been better than "mediocre" at UT, just not "better than mediocre" enough by LV standards).

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
With the transfer rule change would Cooper be eligible to suit up for the Lady Vols?

Reaction Score
With the transfer rule change would Cooper be eligible to suit up for the Lady Vols?
Didn't she transfer after the deadline? Not sure if it applies to her situation.

If this stay does apply, then my guess would be yes based on what other teams have done. Both Priscilla Williams (Oregon) and Diamond Johnson (Norfolk State) have played since the ruling was made.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Didn't she transfer after the deadline? Not sure if it applies to her situation.

If this stay does apply, then my guess would be yes based on what other teams have done. Both Priscilla Williams (Oregon) and Diamond Johnson (Norfolk State) have played since the ruling was made.
You are correct. She was after the deadline so that doesn’t apply to her.

Arizona’s Courtney Blakely ( MTSU transfer) also got her first action with the Wildcats.

Reaction Score

I hope Rikea is able to go and contribute this season. She came back to Knoxville for a reason and it wasn't to sit on the bench injured. The LVs need her if they even have a glimmer of hope to turn things around.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who's the PG now?

Down to 10 scholarship players right?
Jasmine Powell is their starting point guard. Wells was a bench player who got 20+ minutes but not very effective.

I'm not sure most Vol fans will even notice the loss of Wells amid their joy to see Jackson back in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who's the PG now?

Down to 10 scholarship players right?
They still have Powell, who seemed to be splitting time with Wells. In fact (and I could be wrong, so please someone correct me if so), Powell seemed to be the lead guard. I was a big fan of Wells at Belmont. Hate this for her.

Reaction Score
The Tenn. name and rep certainly helped attract top level recruits for some time after their decline and then Pats retirement. That happens, but the rep has worn off and now it is almost like the program is starting from scratch. The rep even got them higher seedings in the NCAA if not also invites not based on their actual records. Tenn was also a team at one time who had their pick of recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom