Tenn and Duke coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn and Duke coaching

Reaction Score
Well, at UConn it is about winning it all. We don't always win the NC, of course, but we take no pleasure in being runners-up. To look at it another way: how many great Huskies have left Storrs w/out a ring? Diana? Maya? Stewie? Great players come to CT because here's where the best chance to win it all lives.
At ND the goal is Championships also and not just in Basketball. My whole point was with Duke and Tenn is that they should be getting to the elite 8 and final 4 on a regular basis with the talent they have. Most years they underachieve is my whole point.

Reaction Score
Holly was hand picked by Pat with the long view that her son Tyler would ultimately take the reins. All of that, as you know, got thrown into a cocked hat, as the old saying goes. It seems a combination of loyalty, guaranteed money, apathy toward women's sports in general, and inertia is suspending this ineptitude. When her contract runs out I would hope she'd be sent to kick rocks elsewhere.
What does she have? A life of the game contract? When did Pat turnover the control of that team to Holly? Seems like a long long time, or does it just feel that way???

Reaction Score
What does she have? A life of the game contract? When did Pat turnover the control of that team to Holly? Seems like a long long time, or does it just feel that way???
She’s been the HC since 2012-2013 Season.

Reaction Score
She’s been to 3 Elite 8’s but with the talent she has gotten she should be getting to the Final 4. The last 2 seasons they haven’t made it past the round of 32.

Reaction Score
Coach JPM has been at Duke since 07-08. Has made it to 4 Elite 8’s but hasn’t been to an Elite 8 in a while and with Coach JPM. I don’t ever fear Dukes Offense. She seems to ignore the offensive side of the ball.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Speaking of Coach P, she's headed back tonight to her home state to play Maine, who beat Toledo in their first game with a barrage of 3's. In the meantime, the Blue Devils were getting beat (badly) by McCallie's alma mater, Northwestern. This will be a game worth keeping an eye on the box score to see what transpires in a lot of areas.

Here's a pre-game article:
Duke women’s basketball coach Joanne McCallie eyes trip to Maine
Lord... not a barrage of 3's!!!! You know that's JPM's kryptonite.

Reaction Score
If Mississippi State were coming off of back to back national titles I wonder how the national media would be treating the program??

Reaction Score
If Mississippi State were coming off of back to back national titles I wonder how the national media would be treating the program??

The same way they treated SC...like an afterthought / mistake.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

If I am the press, I would be annoyed having to write 'Mississippi' all the time. ;););)

Reaction Score
Why is it at programs like Tennessee and Duke both with storied programs and in Tennessee’s case a really storied program. That they haven’t had coaching changes? Coach Warlick is a great recruiter it seems but really underachieves. You can say the same about Coach McCallie. You’d think with the talent they get that they should be in the Elite 8 and Final 4 on a regular basis.
Is it true that both Warlick and McCallie are great recruiters or is it that almost ANYONE could recruit based on how legendary both schools are insofar as women's basketball and in Duke's case, what a marvelous educational reputation it has. I'm not as familiar how Tennessee stacks up educationally. Just asking?????

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Coach JPM has been at Duke since 07-08. Has made it to 4 Elite 8’s but hasn’t been to an Elite 8 in a while and with Coach JPM. I don’t ever fear Dukes Offense. She seems to ignore the offensive side of the ball.

At ND the goal is Championships also and not just in Basketball. My whole point was with Duke and Tenn is that they should be getting to the elite 8 and final 4 on a regular basis with the talent they have. Most years they underachieve is my whole point.

With all due, this post about Duke would have been accurate between 2008 and 2015. Coach P inherited a roster with eight MCDAA players. Recruiting was truly elite in the 2010-2014 classes.

But if you look at the recent (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) classes, Duke is not getting the truly elite players - and certainly not on a regular basis. The 2018 class did not have a single player ranked in the top 60 in any of the four recruiting services.

Duke's success in the past two years was primarily the result of Lexie Brown, a transfer. And the team lost to UConn in the Sweet 16 last year.

@IrishTiger , your statement that Duke "should be getting to the elite 8 and final 4 on a regular basis with the talent they have" is not longer applicable - and has not been so for the past few seasons (this is also not accounting for the multiple season-ending injuries that Duke has had in recent years).

As an aside, you are not completely accurate in your statement that Coach P "ignore the offensive side of the ball." The truth is that Coach P has a particular set of plays on offense and defense. Where Coach P has not improved is in her ability to make in-game adjustments when the opponent figures out Duke's offensive and defensive schemes and makes their own adjustments. Coach P has not demonstrated an ability to make countermoves. Rather, she runs the same offensive and defensive schemes, irrespective of personnel or opposition, with only a few varying schemes here and there.

Is it true that both Warlick and McCallie are great recruiters or is it that almost ANYONE could recruit based on how legendary both schools are insofar as women's basketball and in Duke's case, what a marvelous educational reputation it has. I'm not as familiar how Tennessee stacks up educationally. Just asking?????

A quick history lesson...

Before Gail Goestenkors got to Duke, the Blue Devils had made a total of one NCAA Tournament and had only one season in which it won more than 19 games. In the five years before Coach G's arrival, Duke went 21-51 in the ACC (and was at the bottom of the ACC the year before she arrived).

Goestenkors built the program from the ground up. She used Duke's academic reputation as a recruiting tool, selling the university's elite academics with a chance to build what could be a special program.

During Goestenkors' last 10 years at Duke (1997-1998 season through the 2006-2007 season), she made 7 Elite Eights, 4 Final Fours (including two National Runner-Up finishes), won 30 games in seven straight seasons, and won at least the ACC regular season title or tournament title nine times.

The argument that "Duke recruits itself" overlooks all of the tremendous work by Coach G to get the Duke program to a place where it could recruit itself, based on the combination of elite academics and an elite WBB program.

Unfortunately, the days of Duke being an elite WBB program are long gone, much to my (and @triaddukefan 's dismay).

Reaction Score
. . . We don't always win the NC, of course, but we take no pleasure in being runners-up. . .

Not to be too picky, but UConn has never been a runner-up. We've lost in the semi-finals
a number of times, but UConn has never lost a championship game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the days of Duke being an elite WBB program are long gone, much to my (and @triaddukefan 's dismay).

Yet I still drive to Durham to support the team. I wonder how many UCONN fans will make the trek to Storrs/Hartford to do the same when their time as an elite program is in the distant mirror.

Reaction Score
With all due, this post about Duke would have been accurate between 2008 and 2015. Coach P inherited a roster with eight MCDAA players. Recruiting was truly elite in the 2010-2014 classes.

But if you look at the recent (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) classes, Duke is not getting the truly elite players - and certainly not on a regular basis. The 2018 class did not have a single player ranked in the top 60 in any of the four recruiting services.

Duke's success in the past two years was primarily the result of Lexie Brown, a transfer. And the team lost to UConn in the Sweet 16 last year.

@IrishTiger , your statement that Duke "should be getting to the elite 8 and final 4 on a regular basis with the talent they have" is not longer applicable - and has not been so for the past few seasons (this is also not accounting for the multiple season-ending injuries that Duke has had in recent years).

As an aside, you are not completely accurate in your statement that Coach P "ignore the offensive side of the ball." The truth is that Coach P has a particular set of plays on offense and defense. Where Coach P has not improved is in her ability to make in-game adjustments when the opponent figures out Duke's offensive and defensive schemes and makes their own adjustments. Coach P has not demonstrated an ability to make countermoves. Rather, she runs the same offensive and defensive schemes, irrespective of personnel or opposition, with only a few varying schemes here and there.

A quick history lesson...

Before Gail Goestenkors got to Duke, the Blue Devils had made a total of one NCAA Tournament and had only one season in which it won more than 19 games. In the five years before Coach G's arrival, Duke went 21-51 in the ACC (and was at the bottom of the ACC the year before she arrived).

Goestenkors built the program from the ground up. She used Duke's academic reputation as a recruiting tool, selling the university's elite academics with a chance to build what could be a special program.

During Goestenkors' last 10 years at Duke (1997-1998 season through the 2006-2007 season), she made 7 Elite Eights, 4 Final Fours (including two National Runner-Up finishes), won 30 games in seven straight seasons, and won at least the ACC regular season title or tournament title nine times.

The argument that "Duke recruits itself" overlooks all of the tremendous work by Coach G to get the Duke program to a place where it could recruit itself, based on the combination of elite academics and an elite WBB program.

My whole point in all this was to say. The Athletic Department should expect more then what their getting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom