Tenn and Duke coaching | The Boneyard

Tenn and Duke coaching

Reaction Score
Why is it at programs like Tennessee and Duke both with storied programs and in Tennessee’s case a really storied program. That they haven’t had coaching changes? Coach Warlick is a great recruiter it seems but really underachieves. You can say the same about Coach McCallie. You’d think with the talent they get that they should be in the Elite 8 and Final 4 on a regular basis.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Why is it at programs like Tennessee and Duke both with storied programs and in Tennessee’s case a really storied program. That they haven’t had coaching changes? Coach Warlick is a great recruiter it seems but really underachieves. You can say the same about Coach McCallie. You’d think with the talent they get that they should be in the Elite 8 and Final 4 on a regular basis.
What kind of can of worms you tryin' to open up in here?

Reaction Score
Warlock has no brains or basketball sense. She can’t keep her train of thought. She has that job for life as long as they keep making the tournament. The Duke coach has had tough luck with injuries and has trouble keeping players

Reaction Score
What kind of can of worms you tryin' to open up in here?
Not trying to open up any can of worms. It’s just something I was thinking about and figured I’d make a thread about it and get peoples thoughts.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I will speak of this years team. This Tennessee team is mostly freshman and sophomores. It's very early in the season. I do think the team. Will be better in December than now.

Reaction Score
I will speak of this years team. This Tennessee team is mostly freshman and sophomores. It's very early in the season. I do think the team. Will be better in December than now.
How long does She get? She’s been getting talent. I get that they were young last year and this year there still is a lot of talent on that team.

Reaction Score
Working on some quick 'likes'. :rolleyes:
Nah, not really even tho making myself not a enemy is something key. I’m not gonna come in and make a thread where I’m gonna get bashed especially when I’m new I know better. I’ve been in plenty of Facebook sports groups and know better maybe me of a few years ago when I was 15 or 16 and wanted to stir the pot and didn’t mind getting in trash talking battles then maybe. But I’m past that stage of my life haha. I know better.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly, with a coach like Holly, who was the first in recent memory that I know that had a number 1 overall recruit and failed to coach them up to AA status, I wonder as well. I'd say she's fully capable of doing it again. And again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There just isn’t the same pressure on women’s sports coaches as there is on the men’s side. Win 20+ games every year, go to the Big Dance and avoid scandal and that’s enough to keep your job, even at programs that used to win championships.

This is particularly true at P5 conference schools where men’s football & basketball generate tens of millions in revenue. As a result, men’s sports have the complete attention of school AD’s and presidents, while women’s sports are something of a sideshow.

Reaction Score

can't speak to the Duke situation but in Holly's case some of it has to do with the significant money they'd owe her if she was let go................that and the fact that she's bringing in so much talent that the powers that be figure she'll stumble into a conference championship at some point and who knows what else........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Speaking of Coach P, she's headed back tonight to her home state to play Maine, who beat Toledo in their first game with a barrage of 3's. In the meantime, the Blue Devils were getting beat (badly) by McCallie's alma mater, Northwestern. This will be a game worth keeping an eye on the box score to see what transpires in a lot of areas.

Here's a pre-game article:
Duke women’s basketball coach Joanne McCallie eyes trip to Maine

Reaction Score
Honestly, with a coach like Holly, who was the first in recent memory that I know that had a number 1 overall recruit and failed to coach them up to AA status, I wonder as well. I'd say she's fully capable of doing it again. And again.
Holly, is a good to near great recruiter or maybe the mystique of a Pat Tenn Team remains to grab a parents memory? Who knows, not me. It is a mystery to me why Tn doesn't get a coach and keep Holly as an assistant/recruiter. Tn must have near a 100 kids that went thru Pat program and learned the game in the W that could coach there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Holly, is a good to near great recruiter or maybe the mystique of a Pat Tenn Team remains to grab a parents memory? Who knows, not me. It is a mystery to me why Tn doesn't get a coach and keep Holly as an assistant/recruiter. Tn must have near a 100 kids that went thru Pat program and learned the game in the W that could coach there.
Holly was hand picked by Pat with the long view that her son Tyler would ultimately take the reins. All of that, as you know, got thrown into a cocked hat, as the old saying goes. It seems a combination of loyalty, guaranteed money, apathy toward women's sports in general, and inertia is suspending this ineptitude. When her contract runs out I would hope she'd be sent to kick rocks elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Think about all of the great players even on well-coached teams that never see a ring except in the bathtub. No one doubts that Muffet is one of the best coaches, yet how many of her outstanding players won an NC? Skylar? Kayla? But it is true that neither Holly nor Joanne are much good and that their fan bases seem to dislike them. Maybe Coco's right, and the admins don't care . . .

Reaction Score
Think about all of the great players even on well-coached teams that never see a ring except in the bathtub. No one doubts that Muffet is one of the best coaches, yet how many of her outstanding players won an NC? Skylar? Kayla? But it is true that neither Holly nor Joanne are much good and that their fan bases seem to dislike them. Maybe Coco's right, and the admins don't care . . .
I’m not even talking about winning it all. With Sky ND made it to final 4’s same with Kayla, and Lloyd, and Natalie.

Reaction Score
Tenn and Duke haven’t been to a final 4 in a while. ND went on a streak of making it to the final 4 and was runner up a couple times. Tenn and Duke haven’t done anywhere near that with their current coaches.

Reaction Score
I’m not even talking about winning it all. With Sky ND made it to final 4’s same with Kayla, and Lloyd, and Natalie.

Well, at UConn it is about winning it all. We don't always win the NC, of course, but we take no pleasure in being runners-up. To look at it another way: how many great Huskies have left Storrs w/out a ring? Diana? Maya? Stewie? Great players come to CT because here's where the best chance to win it all lives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom