Tell me about the NEW Big Ten | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tell me about the NEW Big Ten

Reaction Score
If it is ever revealed, I would love to know how much BTN revenue was generated by ad sales for wbb games this past year

Reaction Score
Not sure about Top 10, but I could see them in the Top 25 at some point during the season if things play out as they hope. There's a lot of new pieces that have to mesh together this summer.
Same. I'm big on like who are your two best players and style of play. As much as I like their pieces, I'm not sure who their two best players r and what is the vision in terms of style of play. One of the funniest Maryland teams was the 20-21 team. They were deep but then obviously Diamond Miller and Ashley Owusu were there best players. Also they shared the ball and played at a great place so shooters like Katie Benzin could get off. I thought the 23 team was similar in terms of a clear pecking order Diamond Miller and Abby Meyer. But they also had great pieces like Lav and B Alexander who came off the bench to provide offense. That made sense. So I'm just interested in Brenda Freese vision.

I like how early the conference is releasing the conference opponents. And Iowa was great releasing their whole schedule. I like how Iowa still has some tough ooc matchups.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Hold on a sec. Indiana has never made a Final 4 either and Frese hasn't made it since 2015. In fact she's only made it past the Sweet 16 once since then. I'd say Closes's post season record lines up pretty well with Frese and Moren over the last nearly decade. And let's not pretend Maryland hasn't had a whole bunch of talent pass thru. You could probably argue they've had more than UCLA has. Retention of that talent has been a problem, but that's part of coaching too isn't it?
Often only stopping for a cup of coffee and some danish.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Don't you have to get some crab cakes while you're in Maryland? Or am I getting my states mixed up?
Maryland is know for its crab cakes, but College Park is known for the Black Angus. (Just kidding, I don't even know if it's still there)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thank you to Michigan for agreeing to play the Cocks in the opening game in Vegas.
I bought my ticket last night! This will be my first trip to Vegas. It wasn't high on my vacation choices list, but the game made it palatable.

Reaction Score
Thank you to Michigan for agreeing to play the Cocks in the opening game in Vegas.
I thought they were playing Texas? Or is it a weekend event where they play both Texas and South Carolina?

Reaction Score
I thought they were playing Texas? Or is it a weekend event where they play both Texas and South Carolina?
I think there's some confusion on the topic. I believe both Texas and South Carolina are playing an opponent in Las Vegas and did not realize the other team was slated to play there, so when Michigan announced they were playing in Las Vegas, each fanbase assumed that they were the opponent. I haven't seen any official announcements but South Carolina newspapers are saying it's South Carolina vs. Michigan.

Reaction Score
I remember when Penn State was joining the conference and everyone thought they would win the championship every year. So far I think they have won 2. The same was said when Nebraska was set to join the league and they haven't won one yet. My point is UCLA and USC are joining a league where they will need to adjust to how that league plays, not vice versa.

Right now it would appear USC and UCLA have better rosters so they might go on to win. To me though I think USC will be above average but not great and UCLA will less than them. The Elite teams will be the usual suspects like UConn, SCar, and maybe a ND or a Texas. Everyone else will be playing to get to the final 4.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The same was said when Nebraska was set to join the league
It was? It's not like they had an exceptional history in women's hoops prior to joining the Big 10. Ha, I just looked, they won the Big 8/12 twice in 30 years. There's no way anybody was predicting they were gonna come in and run the Big 10.

edit--are you confused and thinking of volleyball?

edit X2--maybe you meant Maryland, but in that case it was correct; won the conference 7 of their first 8 years and were 2nd the other season

Last edited:

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Right now it would appear USC and UCLA have better rosters so they might go on to win. To me though I think USC will be above average but not great and UCLA will less than them. The Elite teams will be the usual suspects like UConn, SCar, and maybe a ND or a Texas. Everyone else will be playing to get to the final 4.
You are right that USC still has to prove themselves vs the 4 you mention, but it's not like they have far to go.

They went 29-6 and were a #1 seed already last year. Their star, who seems to like physical play, now has a year of experience and will have an improved surrounding group.

With the December UConn game, we get an early look at how the Trojan group is meshing, and who is available and playing for the Huskies.

It's a pretty good bet that USC does win the Big and enters tourney again with about 5 losses.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
edit X2--maybe you meant Maryland, but in that case it was correct; won the conference 7 of their first 8 years and were 2nd the other season
Exactly. Maryland was expected to dominate the B1G and did--until Iowa acquired more top-end talent (several Iowa players have won B1G POY in the last seven years) and Brenda started losing hers (Angel Reese won a conference POY elsewhere).

Reaction Score
I am just looking forward to seeing what each team and player does over this off season. Teams are adding recruits, some more talented than others but it is all about that heart, mind, and getting in the gym and working on your craft.

Being a Big Ten guy (Minnesota/Michigan), I am hoping that our Flagship programs, Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa, just remind USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon, this is the Big Ten. You ain't running nothing here. Football. That is another story. Basketball. Not happing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You ain't running nothing here. Football. That is another story. Basketball. Not happing.
I actually think the newcomers are going to struggle more in football. Maybe Oregon is loaded up fairly well, but Washington is in rebuild mode and USC was terrible last year. But Michigan/Ohio St./Penn St. aren't too likely to move out of the way. I really don't know about men's hoops, but women's hoops at least some of the western interlopers are poised to do some damage. The LA schools. I don't think you have to worry much about the teams from the northwest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom