Teamwork | The Boneyard

Teamwork

Reaction Score
I spent a lot of time thinking about the team and the program yesterday. I thought of the 2014 Championship run and contrasted it with what we are seeing this season.

The biggest difference I see is the level of collaborative effort among the coaching staff and the players. KO had Calhoun, Blaney, Hobbs and Miller at his side the first year or two. Each of those resources had considerable head coaching experience. Now he has a bunch of relatively inexperienced assistants by comparison, none of which seem to excell at X's and O's. My point being that the staff as a whole was so much stronger four years ago.

While there was certainly an element of hero ball with Shabazz bailing the team out with clutch shots as the shot clock expired, there were also good screens being set, kickouts to Giffey for 3's and hitting Daniels along the baseline for some easy baskets. Boat absolutely busted his ass on D and often took the opposing team out of what it wanted to do. It would be great to see our current guys take pride in playing D like that. Yes, the talent level was higher, but so was the buy in and willingness to do the little things that result in game winning plays.

For things to turn around substantially, the coaches and the player's all need to get on the same page and maximize their strengths. I am not saying we have an extremely talented roster. We don't. But I am saying that the ceiling is somewhat higher than what we have seen through the first 14 games. Guys like Whaley, Polley, Carlton and Williams can all contribute in their own way. The trick is keeping them engaged to the point where it is fun and a collaborative effort. I like a lot of the players on this team. It would be nice to see some real teamwork, success and smiles on their faces. For that to happen, they all need to work together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn’t Blaney leave in 2012 ?
Calhoun was no more available for consultation in 2014 than he is now.
I suspect all you have to do is pick up a phone.
The biggest bench loss I see
Is Karl Hobbs who with his HCing experience at GW was KO’s Blaney.
He was critical in recruiting Kromah from GW as well.
We may have underestimated the effect of his departure.
Of course Glenn Miller is also gone but I don’t think he had much of a head coaching pedigree.
Hobbs at least had some success in a pretty good league as a head coach .
Isn’t he now at Rutgers with Pikell ?

Reaction Score
Blaney was an assistant coach for the 2012-2013 season and Calhoun was far more actively involved in that first and second season than he is now. Hobbs was a big part of the 2014 Championship win, yes he is now an assistant coach at Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get caught up in all of that "experience" stuff. Sometimes you have too many options or voices and then the message gets lost. It's basketball. A simple game. Players just have learn how to play their role within the team. Coaching helps but sometimes we coaches over coach and confuse players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seriously??

How does a thread with a title of "Teamwork" go five minutes without the quintessential teamwork video?

This board is as indifferent to good threads as the bball team is to good basketball.

C

Chief00

Blaney was an assistant coach for the 2012-2013 season and Calhoun was far more actively involved in that first and second season than he is now. Hobbs was a big part of the 2014 Championship win, yes he is now an assistant coach at Rutgers.

Chief = Confirmed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom