Teams that may need a head coach by season end | The Boneyard

Teams that may need a head coach by season end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is still real early and there will be others added, but just for fun here is a list of potential major openings by season end -

Schools that will pay anything to get anyone and can get almost anyone they want; Uconn is not going to be on the radar for any of these coaches -
USC
Texas - new AD coming too
Nebraska (border line with next group; he needs to win the B1G)

Big 5 conference openings; maybe some of Uconn's guys will hit this list
Mississippi State
Kansas
UVA - Mike London is a bust; their alumni are delusional

Lower Level Big 5 where Uconn will clearly compete for a coach against these schools
Indiana
Wake - although Grobe retires rather than fired
KY

I know this way too early, but it is something to watch as the season and the search unfolds.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Indiana likes Kevin Wilson a lot, they're not letting him walk. KY just hired Mark Stoops last year, to think they'd fire him after one season is asinine especially with the recruiting class he's put together there.

Nebraska won't fire Pelini if he gets 9 wins, which with their schedule is certainly possible despite the holes they have on their D.

I do think there are going to be an abundance of "elite" jobs with the potential to be open at the end of the year.

One job I would keep an eye on is the Baylor job. I think Art Briles ends up at Texas after Brown is fired.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah Indiana isn't making any change.

Reaction Score
London is a good example of the reason major programs tend not to hire 1AA guys as head coaches, no matter how successful and why I would be wary of any of the guys now lighting it up in 1AA. You can get hot in that level by landing 1A transfers especially at skill positions. It is much more of a now level than it is building for the long term at the high levels where teams like Towson and Richmond play.

Reaction Score
I think it would be easier to win at UCONN, than say the likes of Kentucky, Indiana, Wake, Miss State given the conference opposition. So if the money is comparable, we should be able to compete with that echelon of P5 schools for a coach. If successful said coach may jump to the upper echelon P5 school if offered, but I can live with that.

Reaction Score
I think Miss St. will be sticking with Dan Mullen, he turned down the florida job to stay there

Reaction Score
London is a good example of the reason major programs tend not to hire 1AA guys as head coaches, no matter how successful and why I would be wary of any of the guys now lighting it up in 1AA. You can get hot in that level by landing 1A transfers especially at skill positions. It is much more of a now level than it is building for the long term at the high levels where teams like Towson and Richmond play.
Agree with this somewhat. KC KEELER jumps out at you as well. Did well with Flacco and Pay Devlin, as transfers and made him look better than maybe he really is.

Reaction Score
Not ot say some are not real good coaches, just that I think there is a bit more risk in that you can get a very good player who was recruited over at a 1a school and he can make a team go from ok to title material.

Reaction Score
Consensus is that Wilson will get one more year at least - the expectation is that he takes Indiana bowling by next year or he'll be in trouble. I think Pelini is on the hot seat - if he has any more embarrassing losses he'll probably be canned even if he reaches 9 wins again.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that Pellini is absolutely on the hot seat, to the point where he needs some surprising wins to save his job.

I also believe that if Oliver Luck does get the AD job at Texas (as has been rumored) that Sumlin will be his first choice for HC. As A&M and UT are no longer in the same conference it will be far easier for the Horns to grab him.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Being a big time Nebraska fan i can tell you i think 9 wins is the safe haven for pelini, and if he reaches 10 regular season wins you can forget about it hes definitely staying. Nebraska can't/won't fire another coach with 9 wins per season, not after the Solich debacle. Nobody in their right mind would coach at Nebraska if they knew 9 wins every single season could get them fired. He's one of like 7 coaches all time to win at least 9 games in his first 5 years. They're starting essentially all freshmen on the D line and have two true freshmen playing LB. He'll be fine.

If he goes 7-5/8-4 though he will definitely be on the hot seat. 7-5 i think gets him fired. The new AD Eichorst didnt hire him and would probably go after a Kirby Smart or Scott Frost type (still think Frost is a couple years off from coaching at a place like Nebraska, he could conceivably come to a place like UConn and then make the jump after two or three years)

Reaction Score
Stoops isn't going anywhere. The bluenecks down here love him. Kevin Wilson has shown improvement at Indiana and will get another year, not to mention his recruiting is pretty good. London is as good as gone. Mack Brown will "retire" in the very near future. Dunno why you think Dan Mullen will be out at Mississippi State. He's taken them to three straight bowls.

This blog keeps an up to date list of coaches on the hot seat.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc