Teams/programs with something to prove this season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Teams/programs with something to prove this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well, maybe reality might come into play.

Simmons and Massengale both started early in the season and then were benched for less talented seniors. I find that to be an issue.
I think it was mainly because of senior lineup. That was the reason.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One more point about Burdick. How many players play behind #2and #4 draft picks?
Again, a #4 rated HS player coming in usually gets more minutes and does more with them.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
One more point about Burdick. How many players play behind #2and #4 draft picks?
She did not have a good frosh year, and it was all on her, not who she was playing behind.. Making excuses for her won't make her p.ay up to her ranking.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it was mainly because of senior lineup. That was the reason.

And that senior lineup was born of desparation and one of the dumbest coaching moves I've ever seen.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Maryland, yuck. Recruits well, lots of talent, game plan sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good. Don't really like rah-rah coaches. But I don't think she's on a hot seat, or anything like that.

Louisville, I know UConn fans like Walz, RU fans respect him, but one of our fans saw him in the lobby of a New Brunswick hotel and said he was really, really nasty to the hotel staff. A hotel that handles virtually every team that comes to Rutgers, most of their fans and all the Rutgers teams when the dorms are closed. The fan said he/she lost a lot of respect for him because he was just so unpleasant. Wonder how that translates otherwise?

Of all of them, I think LSU has the most to prove - Caldwell has yet to prove it.

The Walz story may be so, Knights, but I think the evidence is too scant to report it here.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Again, a #4 rated HS player coming in usually gets more minutes and does more with them.

Burdick is very skilled; she has a good short-range jumper and she's a good passer. Her biggest drawback is a lack of mobility. She has very heavy feet which hurts her defensively and limits her somewhat offensively.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Burdick is very skilled; she has a good short-range jumper and she's a good passer. Her biggest drawback is a lack of mobility. She has very heavy feet which hurts her defensively and limits her somewhat offensively.

I agree about her skills. And her lead feet.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes I see her having a real good year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How good? What exactly do you mean by "real good year"??
Well I know she has worked hard in off season. I see her being a starter this year. She has the skills. I think she can make all SEC team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well I know she has worked hard in off season. I see her being a starter this year. She has the skills. I think she can make all SEC team.

What players DON'T work hard in the off season?

What do you see for her stats this year?

Last year she played 13 MPG, 4.6 PPG and 2.8 RPG shooting 46% from the field.

In comparison, Stokes played 13 MPG, 4.5 PPG and 4.5 RPG shooting 60% from the field. I don't think anyone is saying that Stokes will be All-BE this year.

Very wishful thinking on your part.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
What players DON'T work hard in the off season?

What do you see for her stats this year?
I will say about 15-20 in points per game. She will get a few rebounds and assist also.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will say about 15-20 in points per game. She will get a few rebounds and assist also.

What? Only 15-20 points? Probably 8-10 rebounds per game and 4 assists.

AA for sure.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It's just a guess. I think we can agree she will have a better year.

Reaction Score
It's crazy to read some of this at times. What's defined as good enough? Duke has been very good, won several ACC titles and featured multiple pro players on seemingly every team. They've been one step short of a final four. The Blue Devils have replenished their roster with top level talent. Maryland has been to the Elite 8 four of the last seven seasons, won 2 ACC Tournaments and an ACC regular season title. They too turned over their roster and have managed to again be a Top 5-10 team. Notre Dame would've won it all last year if there wasn't a 6-8, genetic freak playing for Baylor. Not to mention Baylor committed hundreds of recruiting violations (apparently all worthy it) and are dancing in the street with the crown jewels despite being caught cheating.

Programs that probably thought they'd do better than they have in recent seasons- Rutgers, North Carolina, Virginia come to mind. Louisville actually has what was considered elite talent in Schimmel and Smith in the backcourt (both were Top 10). Asia Taylor was Top 20 on the All Star Girls Report. Sharrone Vails was considered a top 30 from what I remember. Sara Hammond was highly regarded (as we know).

Overall, the pool of truly elite players is so shallow that when they all repeatedly go to the same few schools, it doesn't leave a lot for other programs. Many of the coaches have done terrific jobs with what they have to coach.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Burdick here...I saw her play a lot last season.

Towards the end of the season, she really found a groove n the court. I could tell she was much more comfortable in her role. She is a very skilled passer and can play very well in the high low game.

She will still be behind Spani at the three. She could start at the four, perhaps with freshman graves at the five.

Burdick could average double digit scoring, but she will have to improve defensively. Holly is going to want to play a fast run and gun style. If Burdick can keep up with that style, she will log substantial minutes and will score some points.

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Burdick here...I saw her play a lot last season.

Towards the end of the season, she really found a groove n the court. I could tell she was much more comfortable in her role. She is a very skilled passer and can play very well in the high low game.

She will still be behind Spani at the three. She could start at the four, perhaps with freshman graves at the five.

Burdick could average double digit scoring, but she will have to improve defensively. Holly is going to want to play a fast run and gun style. If Burdick can keep up with that style, she will log substantial minutes and will score some points.

I like Burdick's energy level and think she'll be solid. She's a bit undersized when banging against legit, bigs, but her work rate gets her pretty far. Not sure she's a 3, but maybe she can prove me wrong.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I would add the Card to the mix of having to prove themselves this year. What will be happening with them now and will Cheney lead them to the elite 8 at least?

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Syracuse for obvious reasons, Miami just because.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would add the Card to the mix of having to prove themselves this year. What will be happening with them now and will Cheney lead them to the elite 8 at least?
I don't see Stanford as having anything to prove this season. They've been on a run of five consecutive Final Fours. If they are a bit down, no one is going to question Tara as a coach or Stanford as a program. For the record, I do think they make the Elite Eight.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's crazy to read some of this at times. What's defined as good enough? Duke has been very good, won several ACC titles and featured multiple pro players on seemingly every team. They've been one step short of a final four. The Blue Devils have replenished their roster with top level talent. Maryland has been to the Elite 8 four of the last seven seasons, won 2 ACC Tournaments and an ACC regular season title. They too turned over their roster and have managed to again be a Top 5-10 team. Notre Dame would've won it all last year if there wasn't a 6-8, genetic freak playing for Baylor. Not to mention Baylor committed hundreds of recruiting violations (apparently all worthy it) and are dancing in the street with the crown jewels despite being caught cheating.

Programs that probably thought they'd do better than they have in recent seasons- Rutgers, North Carolina, Virginia come to mind. Louisville actually has what was considered elite talent in Schimmel and Smith in the backcourt (both were Top 10). Asia Taylor was Top 20 on the All Star Girls Report. Sharrone Vails was considered a top 30 from what I remember. Sara Hammond was highly regarded (as we know).

Overall, the pool of truly elite players is so shallow that when they all repeatedly go to the same few schools, it doesn't leave a lot for other programs. Many of the coaches have done terrific jobs with what they have to coach.
What's defined as good enough depends on the program. That's the point. What's good enough for Tennessee has an historical basis. Same with Duke. ND, meanwhile, is starting to establish a very high bar for itself...or is it? That's what needs to be proven. Rutgers I could see having something to prove. Virginia is only in its second season with a new coach who inherited many years of mediocrity. North Carolina isn't expected to do anything at this point. When the class of 2013 comes in, they will have a lot to prove.

Reaction Score
Alex, I'm very realistic and understand a lot of things can happen to change a game or a team's fortunes, many of which are out of a coach's control. However, if I play along with this game, both UNC and UVA have very highly regarded recruiting classes in their programs now. UNC just watched one graduate. The classes haven't panned out as advertised. There are never any guarantees.

I also concur that it makes sense that Stanford is likely in a bit of a rebuilding mode (for them). They must sign franchise players. UConn faced this dilemma leading up to the signing of Tina Charles and then Maya Moore. If those two had not signed with UConn, perhaps the string of falling short of the final four would've continued. Almost certainly there wouldn't have been any more national championships.

Reaction Score
For Tennessee I see this.
With Ariel and Draya the point guard is covered.
The post players are smaller but more athletic.
Graves will be a force. I think Burdick will have a real good year.
This team has a lot of talent and potential.
We should excuse Tennessee fans for their irrational exuberance . The Knoxville media outlets are a lot like Soviet Russia’s during the cold war. You will never hear a rational critique of the Lady Vols, only the good and optimistic is presented. Fans must spout the party line or be turned in to the NKVD for reprogramming. The foreign press, (e.g. ESPN) is to be viewed as a subversive organization. So, have pity, it’s not the fans fault.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's just a guess. I think we can agree she will have a better year.
Stwain - I like you attitude and agree that all fans of great programs expect a FF and a NC every year.
I just hope that you and the rest of the LV fans give Holly a little slack if she does not acheive that this year. Realistically (from outside) I think the bottom line should be making sweet 16. Getting to the Elite 8 would be great, and getting to the FF would be brilliant. You have a good team but the whole process of moving on from Pat's legacy has to be a huge and difficult process.
Anyway - good luck this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits