Team Net Result | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Team Net Result

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
I agree offense will be better, but I think defense will be down; losing Cole, Whaley, and Martin is a bit of a task to replace defensively (even with hoped for defensive improvements from Ajax and Hawkins).
I've gone back and forth but I'm leaning towards better defense and here's why.

Cole, Whaley, and Martin were all good defenders but Cole was a size mismatch issue, Martin was slow laterally and I think the wrist injury hurt his defense, and Whaley took a step back defensively from his BE DPOY play the year before (maybe because he was out of position at the 4, but even inside he was foul prone and biting on a lot of shot fakes).

Newton and Alleyne at 6'5" and 6'4" should be capable defenders in Hurley's scheme and along with Hawkins/Jackson I think they can switch on almost everything and not have matchup issues. My hope is better perimeter defense, my concern is rebounding.

I think the wildcards are:
1. How well do Samson and Karaban defend at the 4 when they play
2. Do we stick with hard hedge, or does Hurley adapt the scheme to his personnel
3. If Jackson plays the 4, will he still defend the best opposing G/W and will we have enough rebounding on the floor

Kenpom had us at 43rd in Defense last year (29th the year before). We have good defenders on the roster and unlike last year we should be able to utilize those defenders more coherently, therefore I expect Hurley will find a way to improve the team defense even when losing 3 good defenders from last year.

Reaction Score
Roster construction is still an unfinished work in progress.. The quality upgrades thru TN/NA over the departing portal guys is significant. No reason to believe that that trend won't continue with more upgrades added in an intentional and thoughtful way.

Once portal closes down on Sunday--I would expect to see an uptick in on campus visits with targets. This staff moves in an efficient and quiet way up/until most on campus visits. Doesn't mean they don't have a sense of urgency.

Reaction Score
I've gone back and forth but I'm leaning towards better defense and here's why.

Cole, Whaley, and Martin were all good defenders but Cole was a size mismatch issue, Martin was slow laterally and I think the wrist injury hurt his defense, and Whaley took a step back defensively from his BE DPOY play the year before (maybe because he was out of position at the 4, but even inside he was foul prone and biting on a lot of shot fakes).

Newton and Alleyne at 6'5" and 6'4" should be capable defenders in Hurley's scheme and along with Hawkins/Jackson I think they can switch on almost everything and not have matchup issues. My hope is better perimeter defense, my concern is rebounding.

I think the wildcards are:
1. How well do Samson and Karaban defend at the 4 when they play
2. Do we stick with hard hedge, or does Hurley adapt the scheme to his personnel
3. If Jackson plays the 4, will he still defend the best opposing G/W and will we have enough rebounding on the floor

Kenpom had us at 43rd in Defense last year (29th the year before). We have good defenders on the roster and unlike last year we should be able to utilize those defenders more coherently, therefore I expect Hurley will find a way to improve the team defense even when losing 3 good defenders from last year.
I hear what you're saying - and it's well thought out. I am just currently concerned that we don't have a lock down 6'7"+ defender (I don't think Sanogo is that yet and I don't think we can count on Johnson or Clingan being that yet). I hear ya on rebounding - our 6'4"- 6'5" guards/wings are going to have to work hard on the boards for sure (led by AJax, of course).

Without looking at the data, I think Cole, Martin, and Whaley even though flawed in some ways still worked well as a whole. I don't know how Newton and Alleyne can translate to the BE in terns of defense (fingers crossed). I do hope we don't high hedge as much overall as we did last year but certainly will depend on matchups.

Still holding hope we can bring in another "+" defender. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom