Team length | The Boneyard

Team length

Reaction Score
I can’t remember a team with better length than what we have right now. Hurley must have watched that Kansas-UNC game closely.

Newton
Hawkins
AJ
Karaban
Sanogo
Clingan
Johnson
Springs

Reaction Score
If Castle is bought in, add his giant guard frame as well, definitely have enough perimeter length where we can only play one big at a time

Reaction Score
Our shortest player is 6'5". Shades of that 2014 UK team with the Harrison twins being their smallest guards too

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This isn't shocking news or anything, but height and length are very good for defense.
I think Hurley has even said this but ideally you don't play "small ball" 4 out if your four are actually "small". You don't want to run that system with Bazz/Boat sized guards. Our recruiting of late has reflected this. The demand for guys 6'5"-6'8" that can dribble, shoot and defend has never been higher.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley has even said this but ideally you don't play "small ball" 4 out if your four are actually "small". You don't want to run that system with Bazz/Boat sized guards. Our recruiting of late has reflected this. The demand for guys 6'5"-6'8" that can dribble, shoot and defend has never been higher.
Yes. See Maryland/Nova. Creighton last year had Zegarowski at 6'2" but rest of team was 6'5-6'7 range.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes. See Maryland/Nova. Creighton last year had Zegarowski at 6'2" but rest of team was 6'5-6'7 range.
Kansas too. PG was shorter, but Braun, Agbaji and Wilson were not small. Bulk matters too, a Martin type (Agbaji built similar) can hold more ground vs taller forwards on switches. It's part of the reason why the Floyd transfer surprised me. He's a prototype big guard/wing with bulk to guard bigger guys. I'm worried about how skinny our guys are now.

Reaction Score
It’s ironic because our success as a program has been built off small guards. With that said, the game is very different now and as much as I loved and respected RJ, it will be nice to have one and hopefully several big point guards.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason we are so long is we still don't have legit guards. So our lineup is basically forwards and centers. Newton is a legit guard, but we should probably table our enthusiasm until we actually sign more of them. Undoubtedly some of them will be in the 6' to 6'2"

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Line-up as of now

Sanogo
Karaban
Jackson
Hawkins
Newton

Johnson
Clingan
Springs

Reaction Score
Kansas too. PG was shorter, but Braun, Agbaji and Wilson were not small. Bulk matters too, a Martin type (Agbaji built similar) can hold more ground vs taller forwards on switches. It's part of the reason why the Floyd transfer surprised me. He's a prototype big guard/wing with bulk to guard bigger guys. I'm worried about how skinny our guys are now.
As a whole or at guard? AJ is not skinny, Hawkins actually has muscular legs, he just needs to fill out more up top. Samson obviously needs to bulk up a lot, Sanogo is a tree. Clingan and Karaban look to be pretty mature already physically. We also just lost Polley and Akok, two very skinny guys.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s ironic because our success as a program has been built off small guards. With that said, the game is very different now and as much as I loved and respected RJ, it will be nice to have one and hopefully several big point guards.
Sure, and we had teams that played 3 guys who were 6'10" or taller. Charlie V was a small forward. Those mid 2000s UConn teams were often massively long. You can absolutely hide small guards in that system, because you leave your 5 and a help shot blocker in the paint and funnel people to them. It's a variation on the Celtics dynasty "hey Bill" defense, which of course would be what Calhoun would know and love (also with Bird, McHale Parrish, another huge lineup). It's how we lead the country in shot blocking year after year.

Hurley is trying to run something that looks a lot more like the 2022 Celtics defense. Current Celtics starters (if Rob healthy):
6'4 (and strong), 6'5, 6'8, 6'9, 6'9.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As a whole or at guard? AJ is not skinny, Hawkins actually has muscular legs, he just needs to fill out more up top. Samson obviously needs to bulk up a lot, Sanogo is a tree. Clingan and Karaban look to be pretty mature already physically. We also just lost Polley and Akok, two very skinny guys.
Hawkins is listed at 175. He was getting knocked off the ball regularly. He needs to get to like 205. That's a lot of muscle to add.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can’t remember a team with better length than what we have right now. Hurley must have watched that Kansas-UNC game closely.

Newton
Hawkins
AJ
Karaban
Sanogo
Clingan
Johnson
Springs
Lmao half of our scholarship players are Centers at this time. Roster currently looks more like Georgetown than Kansas.

But yes, once we actually have a complete roster we could have NBA type size!

Reaction Score
Hawkins is listed at 175. He was getting knocked off the ball regularly. He needs to get to like 205. That's a lot of muscle to add.
I disagree. He can be very effective at 190 or so.

Reaction Score
Lmao half of our scholarship players are Centers at this time. Roster currently looks more like Georgetown than Kansas.

But yes, once we actually have a complete roster we could have NBA type size!
Riiiight, and our likely starting 5 is

6’5
6’5
6’6
6’8
6’9

Reaction Score

I heard the same thing about this guy. And he did alright.

1649875793089.png

Reaction Score
Our shortest player is 6'5". Shades of that 2014 UK team with the Harrison twins being their smallest guards too
How did that work out? Oh yeah... torched by Bazz and Boat.

Reaction Score
So we may be long, but we lack girth?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom