Team conditoning! | The Boneyard

Team conditoning!

Reaction Score
Being at the game we could clearly observe Wilson and Coates running out of steam by the fourth quarter while Uconn players were still going a full speed, Gabby the only player with 40 minutes never lost a step. It is a testimony to the coaching staff in conditioning every player on this team year after year.

Reaction Score
Being at the game we could clearly observe Wilson and Coates running out of steam by the fourth quarter while Uconn players were still going a full speed, Gabby the only player with 40 minutes never lost a step. It is a testimony to the coaching staff in conditioning every player on this team year after year.
You beat me to it. My wife in the other room kept asking why I'm shouting run run. You for sure as you said they were running out of
gas. Dawn actually had to sit them in the 4th quarter for a spell.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I think you're right - and actually I have learned from watching UCONN WBB that the coaches really know how to push players to be *mentally* tougher than the competition. Meaning , they do get tired/exhausted but somehow they are able to ignore the pain and the dead legs and still perform at the highest level. I've read many a quote from a UCONN sophomore or junior about how when they came in, they would get really tired and the coaches would have none of it. Aside from being well-conditioned physically - no arguments there - they dig deeper and play through the fatigue better than anyone.

Reaction Score
Is there an analogy to the Navy Seals? They're pretty vocal about the difference between making it thru training, or not, is basically mental, being able to push yourself forward when your body says "I gotta rest".

Reaction Score
I recall a Geno show recently where he said something like: "You're all good players, but great players don't get tired." I think this team all wants to be great players.
I was just about to post that. To continue your thought, Geno followed that with "When the good player gets tired, that's when the great player kicks their a**."

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Kia will be sitting out the Tulane game tomorrow night?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just think about this. SC got tired in a game where they took the air out of the ball and slowed the pace considerably. Imagine what would have happened if the game was played at UConn's typical speed. SC would have needed oxygen on the bench.

Reaction Score
I thought SC's fatigue was most telling in last few seconds of the first half. They blinked and tried to catch their breath while UConn made a couple of quick baskets to establish a six-point lead and never looked back. Pheesa sprinted down the court for the last basket of the first half while the SC players looked dazed and lead-footed.

Interesting to note: it seems to me that more teams last longer, physically, against UConn than could do so just a few years ago. It appears other coaches have at least recognized what a factor conditioning can be. The "conditioning gap" between UConn and the rest does appear to be shrinking, at least to me. It doesn't take talent to get in top physical condition, just dedication and, of course, effort.

Reaction Score
Is there an analogy to the Navy Seals? They're pretty vocal about the difference between making it thru training, or not, is basically mental, being able to push yourself forward when your body says "I gotta rest".
Or the Marines Geno had working with the Team the past few summers, possibly not this past summer however--I heard nothing of the Marines working with the team this past summer.
Along with the Military connection --Geno loves to pull the Theater connection--telling his kids --these actors/dancers/singers do 3 or more per day ---day in/day out/month in /month out---and they must smiles and perform--sick or well, hurting or not--These theatrical people give it everything--every day--Geno uses what he can to get the conditioning message across.

Reaction Score
I don't know how these girls do it but it's easy to see they are starting to show fatigue these last 5 ,6 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom