Team chemistry in the superteam portal age | The Boneyard

Team chemistry in the superteam portal age

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Been mulling this around in my brain for a few weeks, especially in light of Morrow's top 3 schools and announcement. A quick glance at social media and some are anointing LSU as the "next", won't lose any games, repeat the natty, etc. So now LSU has to meld Angel, Haley, and Aneesa, along with the other core players. Team chemistry is a delicate balance of figuring out who the leaders are, both on and off the court. A lot will need to happen between now and November for this team to come together.

In looking at UConn's current roster, we lost Lou and Dorka, are gaining 3 frosh (Jana has already been integrated into team), so that's a core of 10 players who have been there at least one season. The team does a lot of stuff together, is incredibly supportive of each other, no matter whether on the court or the bench. The frosh, along with Ice, will have a decent amount of time on the Europe trip to mesh in, learn the system, etc.

So what's the point of my pseudo-ramble? The chemistry thing is huge for UConn, always has been. Does this give them an edge for the 23-24 season? Perhaps. All the focus is now on LSU, SC, and other teams that scored significant transfers, and maybe that's ok for us.

Superteams is a very fragile thing, and there are no guarantees. For every Pierce/Garnett/Allen or Wade/LeBron, there are more examples of teams that never met their perceived potential. This is gonna be a very interesting pre-season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn fans should know all about expectations and disappointing endings. See 2016-17 and more so 2017-2018. The latter was maybe not a "superteam" but a top 6 of Nurse, Dangerfield, Collier, Samuelson, Williams and Stevens was quite the lineup.

Funny things happen during the season and in the tournament. Utah makes its two free throws with 4 seconds left and LSU likely loses in the Sweet 16 in March.

As for chemistry, Kim will have her work cut out for her. Reports out of Louisville are that Hailey Van Lith's teammates were not sorry to see her go. She scoffed at the idea that she was an Honorable Mention All American. Is she looking for personal accolades or will she sacrifice personal goals for the good of the team? Morrow's 802 shots and 209 three-pointers helped DePaul to a 16-17 record.

All these players say the right things in May. Expectations among fans in May are that every transfer will make a big impact on their new teams and we know that won't happen.

Next season should be fun. With good health I like UConn's chances.

Reaction Score
LSU had transfers last season and it sure worked fine for them........simply comes down to who's going to show up and ball in the big tournament.......if healthy, I wouldn't bet against UConn but it's sure not going to be easy.......

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If our players stay healthy, then we should be viewed as a super team. LSU now may have 3 of the 10 best players in WBB today, but so has UConn. We have chemistry, the one thing that will make an average team very good, and a very good team great. LSU does not, though it may be fun for them in the beginning going against mediocre teams, that will go away later on when they encounter other good teams. Who will be running the team, who will take that "last shot", who will allow others to excel when they themselves were always in that position? We basically know those answers for UConn, so lets not be afraid of the "Super Team". We stay healthy we are the team to beat, so all we have to concentrate on is our schedule and not worry about anyone else. We will be great, and we will prove it in March.

Reaction Score
I am a HUGE believer in TEAM CHEMISTRY!
As most of you know I coached HS Wrestling for 32 years and I always looked for kids that I knew would fit right in with my returnees, personality wise as well as athletically!
I coached 193 wrestlers over those 32 years and only had 5 boys that were problems! We were really blessed with great kids and great parents.
UCONN IMHO has the best team chemistry in Div. I!
You can only use 1 basketball so even the stars must buy in to the team concept!
I think NoCar St. had personality problems with transfers and post-grads!
I wouldn't be surprised if LSU & SoCar had some problems! You can only have so many ALPHA's/Queen Bees!

Female alphas embrace their confidence and this helps them lead others. An alpha female tends to:
  • believe her ability to achieve is limitless
  • self-identify as a alpha female
  • have a confidence that is contagious, which leads others to respect her as an equal
  • showcase leadership characteristics
  • be recognized by others as being impactful
  • have extremely high ambitions

Reaction Score
I am a HUGE believer in TEAM CHEMISTRY!
As most of you know I coached HS Wrestling for 32 years and I always looked for kids that I knew would fit right in with my returnees, personality wise as well as athletically!
I coached 193 wrestlers over those 32 years and only had 5 boys that were problems! We were really blessed with great kids and great parents.
UCONN IMHO has the best team chemistry in Div. I!
You can only use 1 basketball so even the stars must buy in to the team concept!
I think NoCar St. had personality problems with transfers and post-grads!
I wouldn't be surprised if LSU & SoCar had some problems! You can only have so many ALPHA's/Queen Bees!

Female alphas embrace their confidence and this helps them lead others. An alpha female tends to:
  • believe her ability to achieve is limitless
  • self-identify as a alpha female
  • have a confidence that is contagious, which leads others to respect her as an equal
  • showcase leadership characteristics
  • be recognized by others as being impactful
  • have extremely high ambitions
… and Paige is the most generous queen bee ever. Meanwhile in Baton Rouge, Aneesah and Hailey Van Lith better be prepared to yield to Angel or the team won’t work.

Reaction Score
I’m most intrigued to see how Morrow fits, and just how good she is. It’s tough for me to evaluate these high stat players when they play on really low performing teams. A 16-17 record against a pretty average schedule (sos #72 for DePaul) makes me question if she’s really AA level. But again, basketball is a team sport so one player can’t do it all.

I expect Morrows stats and usage to drop a lot, but am curious to see if that comes with increased efficiency. Less need to force shots.

If all players buy in, they are stacked at positions 2-5. Poole was the weakest link to me last year, so I am wondering if she makes a leap, if Hailey Van Lith takes over the point, or if their freshman Williams will. Shoring up the 1 spot is my biggest question mark which will tell a lot about the team chemistry.

Reaction Score
I’m most intrigued to see how Morrow fits, and just how good she is. It’s tough for me to evaluate these high stat players when they play on really low performing teams. A 16-17 record against a pretty average schedule (sos #72 for DePaul) makes me question if she’s really AA level. But again, basketball is a team sport so one player can’t do it all.

I expect Morrows stats and usage to drop a lot, but am curious to see if that comes with increased efficiency. Less need to force shots.

If all players buy in, they are stacked at positions 2-5. Poole was the weakest link to me last year, so I am wondering if she makes a leap, if Hailey Van Lith takes over the point, or if their freshman Williams will. Shoring up the 1 spot is my biggest question mark which will tell a lot about the team chemistry.
Who is there 5? Reese?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Some people are talking as if LSU is going to win it all because of the two additions to the team. Hailey Van Lith is a very good guard while Morrow is a great down low player who can sometimes hit the three. Both of them were leaders on their teams, but I don't believe that their teammates liked playing with them. Some of people think that both Louisville and DePaul may actually have better chemistry next year because of those two leaving, I tend to agree with that belief.

In some of the games that Morrow played at DePaul last year she was the one that believed that it had to be her that did everything and the heck with the team chemistry. While there was some hint in Hailey Van Lith's play that was kinda PO'ing the other players, the chemistry at the end of the season was not the same.

I believe that their joining the Tigers maybe more of a problem in jelling a good team chemistry than some of the sports experts believe. I don't see Angel changing in any way and with the other two coming in I see them as wanting to insert themselves as the team leaders.

Reaction Score
Since I hear all the talk at the cafe I will offer this. Kim is excited and thinks everyone will be happy and the team will be fantastic. The comments of Angel though have been more cryptic. This is her team and she will still be the center of attention and the star.

The more interesting thing to me is Kim has the number 2 recruit coming in who happens to be a guard who is bigger and stronger the Hailey and a great shooter even though it hasn't been done at the college level. How does she respond if her time is reduced because Kim went into the portal and got Van Lith?

I live in BR and follow the team and every chip fell their way this year and you can't count on that every year. They will have the best three one on one players in the SEC next year and I guess we will see how that translates into team chemistry. I personally think they will struggle but Kim is one of the best.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The more interesting thing to me is Kim has the number 2 recruit coming in who happens to be a guard who is bigger and stronger the Hailey and a great shooter even though it hasn't been done at the college level. How does she respond if her time is reduced because Kim went into the portal and got Van Lith?
This made me go back to espn HS ranking page. For 2023, LSU has :
#2 6-0 G Mikaylah Williams​
#7 6-5 P Aalyah Del Rosario​
#44 5-7 PG Angelica Velez​
#73 6-1 W Janae Kent​

For 2024, (NR) 5-7 G Jada Richard.

Per Raoul's grid, they will be at 12 players, as they lost 2 to the portal, and brought in 2. So I might bookmark this post and see what happens next season, as Rowdy brings up a good point about Williams, and what her role will be with Hailey Van Lith coming in.

Reaction Score

Let’s see, the people closest to the game say Morrow is AA caliber, she averaged 27 points a game against the toughest teams on her schedule including UConn, Maryland, Miami, Villanova, Creighton and Marquette, she was one of the most coveted players in the portal including being aggressively pursued by two of the best coaches in women’s basketball, and yet you question just how good she really is???

sun

Reaction Score
LSU only has one queen bee & that's Kim.
Players who respect her as a coach shouldn't exhibit personality problems.
Besides a good coach & support staff, getting paid significant NIL money helps to solve any problems and will keep LSU players on track.

Hailey Van Lith & Morrow signed up with LSU because they must really like the vibe.
Morrow didn't even bother with visiting Scar.
Kim obviously engages well with the players and allows them to cash in & play with social media to their heart's content.
She knows how to deal with them when it comes to BB issues too.
She's a master motivator and a strong mother figure to her players.
LSU will gel or they won't make it to the FF to cash in which is a powerful incentive for everyone to get along.
That's why good coaches get paid millions.

Reaction Score
Let’s see, the people closest to the game say Morrow is AA caliber, she averaged 27 points a game against the toughest teams on her schedule including UConn, Maryland, Miami, Villanova, Creighton and Marquette, she was one of the most coveted players in the portal including being aggressively pursued by two of the best coaches in women’s basketball, and yet you question just how good she really is???
Not sure it's questioning how "good" she is but even in the post you make here we're questioning how "great" she is. Your post seems to want to put her on a "great pedestal" as does the media. So you lump Marquette and Crreighton etc with UCONN. Why would you do that when the point of this current LSU team is now that they are super team?

SO while you quote 27 ppg which the media surely will cite. but if we look at how she did vs UCONN this past year she was 19-49 (38.8%) vs UCONN also shooting 2-14 from 3 avaerging 22.5 ppg.

SO why should UCONN fans be expecting the 27 ppg average you (and the media will eventually mention) you cite have much meaning when they push the hype of not just a terrfic team but notches above referring to LSU as a Super Team? This past year's team was the weakest UCONN has had in near 20 years and Murrow didn't do much at all .

Reaction Score
I’m most intrigued to see how Morrow fits, and just how good she is. It’s tough for me to evaluate these high stat players when they play on really low performing teams. A 16-17 record against a pretty average schedule (sos #72 for DePaul) makes me question if she’s really AA level.
This is a question many have wondered about here, and it reveals more about stats than it necessarily shows about player performance. Still, we could raise an analogous question about Reese who played on a team with an SoS in the hundreds for most of the season. For the year, her stat line was

23 pts/g, 52.5%, 15.4 reb, 2.3 assists

This is an excellent line, and indicative of an AA. Filter out for top-20 teams, and it becomes:

20 pts/g, 44%, 15 reb, 2.5 assists.

Still an excellent line and indicative of perhaps a second team AA. Filter out for top-10 teams and it becomes:

17 pts/g, 40%, 11 reb, 2.4 assist. Still a very good line and maybe good enough for third team AA.

Angel had an excellent year even though her stat line was padded a bit. Even filtering out for the cream puffs, it's still a very good year. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I doubt Anessah's year would look so rosy when filtered in a similar way.

Now, is there a way to read stats like this and catch a glimpse of a factor like team chemistry? Angel's number are stunning against cream puffs, and still good against good teams, which suggests she plays a similar role even when the opponent is tough. Perhaps this suggests her teammates trust her in the tough games. But then, who else could they turn to? Morris, and in one notable case, Carson. Now what happens when she plays against the very best opponents. I think this means SC of course (16 pts, 33%, 4 reb, 2 assists), which may be an outlier, or in the tournament. She played well in all the high pressure games, whatever we may think of LSU's tournament opponents, and that speaks well of her.

And naturally, I'd want to compare Angel's year to Aaliyah's, who had a stat line against the stiffest SoS of 16.6 pts/g, 59%, 9 reb, 2.4 assists. Comparable, if not so shiny numbers. One factor that sticks out is shooting percentage and it's likely impact on rebound totals. Aaliyah shot 59% to Angel's 44% against tough competition and against common opponents, their stat lines aren't even close.

Against SC, Aaliyah 25 pts 71% Angel 16 pts 33%
Against Tenn 25 pts 53% Angel 22 pts 50%
Against Iowa 20 63% Angel 15 pts 42%

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Not sure it's questioning how "good" she is but even in the post you make here we're questioning how "great" she is. Your post seems to want to put her on a "great pedestal" as does the media. So you lump Marquette and Crreighton etc with UCONN. Why would you do that when the point of this current LSU team is now that they are super team?

SO while you quote 27 ppg which the media surely will cite. but if we look at how she did vs UCONN this past year she was 19-49 (38.8%) vs UCONN also shooting 2-14 from 3 avaerging 22.5 ppg.

SO why should UCONN fans be expecting the 27 ppg average you (and the media will eventually mention) you cite have much meaning when they push the hype of not just a terrfic team but notches above referring to LSU as a Super Team? This past year's team was the weakest UCONN has had in near 20 years and Murrow didn't do much at all .
You're being very selective with your limited choice of games to critique her.
How she ever ended up at DePaul I'll never know, but it sure brought her tons of national attention.
Excerpts from an SI article posted one hour ago:

Along with Johnson and Reese, Morrow was selected on Thursday to take part in the 2023 USA Women’s Basketball AmeriCup Team Trials May 11-15 in Colorado Springs. LSU is the only school in the country with three participants at the team trials. UCLA and USC are the only other two programs with multiple participants.

Morrow has tallied a double-double in 53 of 66 career games. She led the Big East in rebounding the past two seasons and was second only to Villanova’s All-American Maddy Siegrist in scoring both of those years.

.....Her and Reese were the only two players in the country to rank inside the top 10 in the nation in both scoring and rebounding.

.....Morrow’s first college season saw her be named the National Freshman of the Year by both the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and the Women’s Basketball Coach’s Association. During her freshman season at DePaul in 2021-22, Morrow started all 33 games and led the team scoring 21.9 points while grabbing 13.8 rebounds per game. She ranked No. 3 in the nation in field goals, No. 6 in total points, No. 9 in steals and No. 11 in both points per game and defensive rebounds per game.

Morrow had a stretch during her freshman year where she scored 30+ points and grabbed 10+ rebounds in three consecutive games, becoming the first player since 2010 to accomplish that feat in college basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're being very selective with your limited choice of games to critique her.
How she ever ended up at DePaul I'll never know.
Excerpts from an SI article posted one hour ago:

Along with Johnson and Reese, Morrow was selected on Thursday to take part in the 2023 USA Women’s Basketball AmeriCup Team Trials May 11-15 in Colorado Springs. LSU is the only school in the country with three participants at the team trials. UCLA and USC are the only other two programs with multiple participants.

Morrow has tallied a double-double in 53 of 66 career games. She led the Big East in rebounding the past two seasons and was second only to Villanova’s All-American Maddy Siegrist in scoring both of those years.

.....Her and Reese were the only two players in the country to rank inside the top 10 in the nation in both scoring and rebounding.

.....Morrow’s first college season saw her be named the National Freshman of the Year by both the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and the Women’s Basketball Coach’s Association. During her freshman season at DePaul in 2021-22, Morrow started all 33 games and led the team scoring 21.9 points while grabbing 13.8 rebounds per game. She ranked No. 3 in the nation in field goals, No. 6 in total points, No. 9 in steals and No. 11 in both points per game and defensive rebounds per game.

Morrow had a stretch during her freshman year where she scored 30+ points and grabbed 10+ rebounds in three consecutive games, becoming the first player since 2010 to accomplish that feat in college basketball.

Of course, I'm being selective. That was the point when there is made mention of LSU being a "Super Team." If they are going to be classified as a "Super Team" why wouldn't comparisons be drawn "selectively" vs other teams that have been near the top? . UCONN is a different breed than the other Big East Schools. Please name one in the past few years that have made the Final Four. There is none. So, yes - comparing how she did vs UCONN is appropriate.

Secondly, it's nice that she was invited. Does this mean every player invited is a super player? And ones omitted are not? Otherwise, what is your point? I mentioned she is "good."

Third, it's nice to mention double-double's but I agreed with Van Gundy years ago when he scoffed at the stat. I prefer the stat I previously provided that Murrow shot 38.8% vs UCONN in which UCONN had its worst team in near 20 years. In fact, even the prior year was one of the worst during the reg season too and combined the past two years she shot 44% and averaged 23.8 ppg. So, your mention of her doubles and scoring and NFOY is fine to show she is good. But vs UCONN the stats clearly show she is 44% 2-point shooter. Why should this stat be ignored? Or at least questioned if Murrow can produce in the manner she is being hyped in a team setting against elite competition?

Bottomline is - we're supposed to put a 2 pt shooter on a "great pedestal" for shooting 44% against UCONN?

sun

Reaction Score
Of course, I'm being selective. That was the point when there is made mention of LSU being a "Super Team." If they are going to be classified as a "Super Team" why wouldn't comparisons be drawn "selectively" vs other teams that have been near the top? . UCONN is a different breed than the other Big East Schools. Please name one in the past few years that have made the Final Four. There is none. So, yes - comparing how she did vs UCONN is appropriate.

Secondly, it's nice that she was invited. Does this mean every player invited is a super player? And ones omitted are not? Otherwise, what is your point? I mentioned she is "good."

Third, it's nice to mention double-double's but I agreed with Van Gundy years ago when he scoffed at the stat. I prefer the stat I previously provided that Murrow shot 38.8% vs UCONN in which UCONN had its worst team in near 20 years. In fact, even the prior year was one of the worst during the reg season too and combined the past two years she shot 44% and averaged 23.8 ppg. So, your mention of her doubles and scoring and NFOY is fine to show she is good. But vs UCONN the stats clearly show she is 44% 2-point shooter. Why should this stat be ignored? Or at least questioned if Murrow can produce in the manner she is being hyped in a team setting against elite competition?

Bottomline is - we're supposed to put a 2 pt shooter on a "great pedestal" for shooting 44% against UCONN?
Morrow was named 2nd team All American her freshman in 2022, when Angel Reese & Cameron Brink were named 3rd team AA's.
Last year she was named 3rd team All American along with Edwards.
Does that mean that you also think that Edwards is only "good?"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn fans should know all about expectations and disappointing endings. See 2016-17 and more so 2017-2018. The latter was maybe not a "superteam" but a top 6 of Nurse, Dangerfield, Collier, Samuelson, Williams and Stevens was quite the lineup.

Funny things happen during the season and in the tournament. Utah makes its two free throws with 4 seconds left and LSU likely loses in the Sweet 16 in March.

As for chemistry, Kim will have her work cut out for her. Reports out of Louisville are that Hailey Van Lith's teammates were not sorry to see her go. She scoffed at the idea that she was an Honorable Mention All American. Is she looking for personal accolades or will she sacrifice personal goals for the good of the team? Morrow's 802 shots and 209 three-pointers helped DePaul to a 16-17 record.

All these players say the right things in May. Expectations among fans in May are that every transfer will make a big impact on their new teams and we know that won't happen.

Next season should be fun. With good health I like UConn's chances.

Thanks for the reminder that LSU could/should have lost to Utah.

Reaction Score
Morrow was named 2nd team All American her freshman in 2022, when Angel Reese & Cameron Brink were named 3rd team AA's.
Last year she was named 3rd team All American along with Edwards.
Does that mean that you also think that Edwards is only "good?"

Are you going to call Edwards "great?" You are putting her on that "great pedestal?"

Reaction Score

You connected way too many dots that I never alluded to in my post, but more power to you! I just wonder what type of response you would get from Geno if you asked him if he thought this past year’s team was his weakest in the last 20 years!!!
My guess is that it wouldn’t be very positive.

Also isn’t it kind of funny that some UConn fans have no problem alluding to UConn as a Super Team, predicting unbeaten seasons and multiple championships in a row, and declaring the unabashed greatness of individual players, but then get all wrapped around the axel when others teams / players are considered as such!!??? At end of the day the BY banter and media BS is all entertaining, but all that matters is who is holding the trophy at the end. Like many others here, I can’t wait to see how it plays out, but in the interim I won’t be taking pot shots at other players, coaches or teams!

Reaction Score
So, which team do we think is going to have better team chemistry this upcoming season - UConn, LSU, SC, UCLA, Miss St?
I’d expect UConn to have the best chemistry merely because the core is all veterans who know each other really well. Paige will be the beating heart of this team, and she knows how to shape everyone’s passions into a single unit.

Dawn has a challenge building chemistry having lost the core veterans, but I expect she’ll bring them all together, perhaps around Raven.

Kim, of course, is another chemistry expert, and I will not be surprised if she solves this particular puzzle by the end of January. In her case, it’s all about bringing the big 3 together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom