Team Captains. Does UConn have one? Ever? | The Boneyard

Team Captains. Does UConn have one? Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I guess the practice of team captains in football started when players wore leather helmets. Hockey teams have historically identified their on-ice leader with a "C" on his sweater - and an "A" for his backups. The NFL has recently gone all out (all in?) by awarding not only a "C," but up to four stars under it for those with longevity in that honorary position. My earliest recollection of a MLB team captain was in the late 1950's when Pittsburgh's manager, brash Bobby Bragen named SS Dick Groat as the Pirates captain.

More recently, aside from Derek Jeter, few MLB teams seem to have continued this practice - probably free agency has given management reservations.

I welcome comments by BY sports history buffs to correct or expand these recollections.

More to the business of this board: UConn women's basketball. No one on the team roster is identified as a captain and for the life of me I don't recall if Geno (or team members) ever selected one player for that honor. Ever.

Surely we have had many leaders (Jenn, Sue, Kelly, Renee, Maya, Jamelle, and Diana are names that leap immediately to mind (a disservice to many others, to be sure)). Morgan was elected by her teammates (USA Basketball) to be their captain. Kia Nurse seems to be destined for captaincy someday, somewhere.

Anyone have thoughts about this? Or a hint about Geno's feelings? Speak up, please.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Technically, whoever meets with the refs before the game are the captains. I suppose you can rotate them, and I have no idea who UConn sends to the huddle with the refs.

Rarely did Rutgers advertise who they were (for a time, they were commonly, but not always, the seniors). The first pre-game ref meeting of the season was eagerly anticipated to see who the captains were.

I believe they have slightly more leeway (whether per the rule-book or simply general practice) in talking to the referee regarding calls.

Reaction Score
The UCONN Captains have been seniors. Every year has had Captains, usually 2 but there were a few years with 3 and rotated which 2 met with refs!
As KnightBridgeAZ says above, whoever meets with the refs pregame are the Captains!
Last years Captains were KML & Kiah Stokes!
I would guess this years Captains would be Stewie, MoJeff, definitely, & possibly Tuck also!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes the team usually has captains though not always - the selection of them is somewhat mysterious - it is a mixture of coaches and player input in the selection process. But I think their import is more relative to off court issues than on-court.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The UCONN Captains have been seniors. Every year has had Captains, usually 2 but there were a few years with 3 and rotated which 2 met with refs!
As KnightBridgeAZ says above, whoever meets with the refs pregame are the Captains!
Last years Captains were KML & Kiah Stokes!
I would guess this years Captains would be Stewie, MoJeff, definitely, & possibly Tuck also!
There have been a number of years where a junior was a captain as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I guess the practice of team captains in football started when players wore leather helmets. Hockey teams have historically identified their on-ice leader with a "C" on his sweater - and an "A" for his backups. The NFL has recently gone all out (all in?) by awarding not only a "C," but up to four stars under it for those with longevity in that honorary position. My earliest recollection of a MLB team captain was in the late 1950's when Pittsburgh's manager, brash Bobby Bragen named SS Dick Groat as the Pirates captain.

More recently, aside from Derek Jeter, few MLB teams seem to have continued this practice - probably free agency has given management reservations.

I welcome comments by BY sports history buffs to correct or expand these recollections.

More to the business of this board: UConn women's basketball. No one on the team roster is identified as a captain and for the life of me I don't recall if Geno (or team members) ever selected one player for that honor. Ever.

Surely we have had many leaders (Jenn, Sue, Kelly, Renee, Maya, Jamelle, and Diana are names that leap immediately to mind (a disservice to many others, to be sure)). Morgan was elected by her teammates (USA Basketball) to be their captain. Kia Nurse seems to be destined for captaincy someday, somewhere.

Anyone have thoughts about this? Or a hint about Geno's feelings? Speak up, please.
I missed everything you wrote because I was looking for errors in you spelling, grammar and punctuations. (now I need Tylenol)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My recollection is that the players do the voting early on each season so it's mostly their gig, though GA and CD surely have some input (where don't they? :)). It has not been restricted to seniors.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My recollection is that the players do the voting early on each season so it's mostly their gig, though GA and CD surely have some input (where don't they? :)). It has not been restricted to seniors.

So who is it? Who was it? Ever.

Obviously Geno and CD know what they are doing, but I think it's a reasonable topic for discussion or an inquiry about Geno's policy. My cursory research suggests that captaincies seem important to football and hockey teams - not so much to baseball or basketball. Or UConn wcbb. And I wonder why.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems that Kelly was a captain in her junior year, maybe even her soph season. I think it depends on who are the other players. I can see Hartley as a captain earlier than her final season

Reaction Score
For those curious, the team captains can be found on page 64 of the media guide. Scanning through it, it looks like Montgomery is the only player to have been a captain in her sophomore year, probably having as much to do with where UConn was in the 07 season as with Montgomery herself.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think both Hartley and Rene were captains early - perhaps by sophomore year but definitely as juniors. The captains are usually designated late in the preseason, and we do not always here about them.
Maya was a captain as a junior and Morgan might have been last year. There is no distinction on game day that I am aware of - not like soccer where the captain is the only player designated to talk to referees, or in football where the captains meet for the coin toss. More like baseball, though in baseball many teams do not have captains for years on end. And it isn't like you have a huge team where the team needs designated go-betweens with the coaches - something that is a typical role in football where different segments of the team have their own captains.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For those curious, the team captains can be found on page 64 of the media guide. Scanning through it, it looks like Montgomery is the only player to have been a captain in her sophomore year, probably having as much to do with where UConn was in the 07 season as with Montgomery herself.
Thanks - page 63 btw. Rene, Maya, and CD are the only three time team captains I picked out.
Montgomery reputation was as perhaps the 'nosiest' player in team history - she new everything that was happening with everyone on the team (often before it happened to them :eek:.) And that trait manifested itself in her freshman year.
NB 'Nosiest' is not the best word choice with its negative connotations, but I can't think of a more concise term - she was wired into everything that was happening with everyone on the team. Please don't take offense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks - page 63 btw. Rene, Maya, and CD are the only three time team captains I picked out.
Montgomery reputation was as perhaps the 'nosiest' player in team history - she new everything that was happening with everyone on the team (often before it happened to them :eek:.) And that trait manifested itself in her freshman year.
NB 'Nosiest' is not the best word choice with its negative connotations, but I can't think of a more concise term - she was wired into everything that was happening with everyone on the team. Please don't take offense.
No offense taken, I think Geno mentioned she knew everything about everyone... just never heard him mentioning Wilnett as a head case ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Montgomery reputation was as perhaps the 'nosiest' player in team history - she new everything that was happening with everyone on the team (often before it happened to them :eek:.)
NB 'Nosiest' is not the best word choice with its negative connotations, but I can't think of a more concise term.

Let me help you. As a native Pittsburgher (a true "Yinzer"), the adjective used to describe an excessively inquisitive person is "nebby." There are many other words unique to the Pittsburghese dialect. Yinzers (the plural of "you" is "yinz") meticulously "redd up" their homes before venturing "dahn-tahn" to shop, And all Yinzers support their beloved Stillers.

JS

Reaction Score
So who is it? Who was it? Ever.
For convenience (and thanks to those who pointed out the source):

TEAM CAPTAINS
Year
Players
2013-14---------------------- Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley
2012-13-------Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty, Stefanie Dolson
2011-12--------- Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty, Tiffany Hayes
2010-11-------------------------Caroline Doty, Maya Moore
2009-10--------------------------Maya Moore, Tina Charles
2008-09---------------- Maya Moore, Renee Montgomery
2007-08 ---------------- Mel Thomas, Renee Montgomery
2006-07 ---------------- Mel Thomas, Renee Montgomery
2005-06 --------------------- Ann Strother, Barbara Turner
2004-05---------------------- Jessica Moore, Ann Strother
2003-04--------------------- Diana Taurasi, Jessica Moore
2002-03 ---------------------------------------- Diana Taurasi
2001-02 -------------------------------- Sue Bird, Swin Cash
2000-01----------------Svetlana Abrosimova, Shea Ralph
1999-00 ---- Stacy Hansmeyer, Shea Ralph, Paige Sauer
1998-99 ---------------------- Amy Duran, Courtney Gaine
1997-98----------------------Nykesha Sales, Rita Williams
1996-97---------Carla Berube, Missy Rose, Kara Wolters
1995-96-------------------Jamelle Elliott, Jennifer Rizzotti
1994-95---------------------- Rebecca Lobo, Pam Webber
1993-94---------------------- Tonya Boone, Colleen Healy
1992-93 -----------------------------------------Kathy Ferrier
1991-92 ------------------ Wendy Davis, Meghan Pattyson
1990-91-------------------- Kerry Bascom, Laura Lishness
1989-90-------------------------- Kathy Bantley, Kris Lamb
1988-89 -------------------------- Kris Lamb, Heidi Robbins
1987-88----Jill Brumbaugh, Renee Najarian, Lynne Reif
1986-87 --------------- Tammi Sweet, Jennifer Weideman
1985-86-- Audrey Epstein, Dianne Poletti, Peggy Walsh
1984-85 -------------------------------------------- Leigh Curl
1983-84 --------------------------- Leigh Curl, Sandy Gavin
1982-83---------------------- Cathy Bochain, Sandy Gavin
1981-82---------------------- Cathy Bochain, Sandy Gavin
1980-81 -------------------------------------- Game Captains
1979-80------------------------------------------Beth Vinson
1978-79------------------------ Karen Mullins, Beth Vinson
1977-78 -------------------- Patricia Bresser, Karen Mullins
1976-77--------------- Patricia Bresser, Rosemary Borsuk
1975-76-----Meryl Davis, Susan Fellows, Linda Staveski
1974-75--------------------- Mary Kovacik, Karen Robbin

Reaction Score

Having a cloudy memory I'll revert to what "I think" I know. Back when Sue and Shea were on the same team there were reports of some conflict because Shea was Captain and Sue was Point Guard, who Geno said was responsible for everything during the game. So Shea was Captain. Then I believe Geno appointed DT Captain. It is my BELIEF that Geno has Selected all Captains. For what it's worth~~~!

Reaction Score

Renee,if I remember correctly was picked by Geno in her jr. and sr. years.

Reaction Score
I remembered after seeing the other postRenee just a natural born leader.Geno mentioned how . the team just followed her lead in almost everything they did.One of my favorites of all-time.

Reaction Score
Funny, Jen Rizotti never was captain.
What about last year?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For convenience (and thanks to those who pointed out the source):

TEAM CAPTAINS
Year
Players
2013-14---------------------- Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley
2012-13-------Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty, Stefanie Dolson
2011-12--------- Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty, Tiffany Hayes
2010-11-------------------------Caroline Doty, Maya Moore
2009-10--------------------------Maya Moore, Tina Charles
2008-09---------------- Maya Moore, Renee Montgomery
2007-08 ---------------- Mel Thomas, Renee Montgomery
2006-07 ---------------- Mel Thomas, Renee Montgomery
2005-06 --------------------- Ann Strother, Barbara Turner
2004-05---------------------- Jessica Moore, Ann Strother
2003-04--------------------- Diana Taurasi, Jessica Moore
2002-03 ---------------------------------------- Diana Taurasi
2001-02 -------------------------------- Sue Bird, Swin Cash
2000-01----------------Svetlana Abrosimova, Shea Ralph
1999-00 ---- Stacy Hansmeyer, Shea Ralph, Paige Sauer
1998-99 ---------------------- Amy Duran, Courtney Gaine
1997-98----------------------Nykesha Sales, Rita Williams
1996-97---------Carla Berube, Missy Rose, Kara Wolters
1995-96-------------------Jamelle Elliott, Jennifer Rizzotti
1994-95---------------------- Rebecca Lobo, Pam Webber
1993-94---------------------- Tonya Boone, Colleen Healy
1992-93 -----------------------------------------Kathy Ferrier
1991-92 ------------------ Wendy Davis, Meghan Pattyson
1990-91-------------------- Kerry Bascom, Laura Lishness
1989-90-------------------------- Kathy Bantley, Kris Lamb
1988-89 -------------------------- Kris Lamb, Heidi Robbins
1987-88----Jill Brumbaugh, Renee Najarian, Lynne Reif
1986-87 --------------- Tammi Sweet, Jennifer Weideman
1985-86-- Audrey Epstein, Dianne Poletti, Peggy Walsh
1984-85 -------------------------------------------- Leigh Curl
1983-84 --------------------------- Leigh Curl, Sandy Gavin
1982-83---------------------- Cathy Bochain, Sandy Gavin
1981-82---------------------- Cathy Bochain, Sandy Gavin
1980-81 -------------------------------------- Game Captains
1979-80------------------------------------------Beth Vinson
1978-79------------------------ Karen Mullins, Beth Vinson
1977-78 -------------------- Patricia Bresser, Karen Mullins
1976-77--------------- Patricia Bresser, Rosemary Borsuk
1975-76-----Meryl Davis, Susan Fellows, Linda Staveski
1974-75--------------------- Mary Kovacik, Karen Robbin

This list answers my questions authoritatively, has the sound ring of truth, and discourages further speculation.

THANKS!

P.S. 2014-2015? And when can we expect official info about 2015-2016? :rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think both Hartley and Rene were captains early - perhaps by sophomore year but definitely as juniors. The captains are usually designated late in the preseason, and we do not always here about them.
Maya was a captain as a junior and Morgan might have been last year. There is no distinction on game day that I am aware of - not like soccer where the captain is the only player designated to talk to referees, or in football where the captains meet for the coin toss. More like baseball, though in baseball many teams do not have captains for years on end. And it isn't like you have a huge team where the team needs designated go-betweens with the coaches - something that is a typical role in football where different segments of the team have their own captains.
I checked the rule book and the captain is required. She is designated as the only player who may address the officials on matters of interpretation and to obtain essential information "providing it is done in a courteous manner".

NCAA Women's Rule Book 3, section 3, article 1

Reaction Score
it's not UCONN but Sue Bird was chosen as the captain of the 2012 USA team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members