OT: - Teachers for Guatemala | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers for Guatemala

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
  1. Trolling for teachers. My wife and I are involved with a small (72 students), private, non-profit High School/Jr. High here in Panajachel, in the Central Highlands of Guatemala. We are beginning our search for some teachers for next year, including definitely science and social studies, and possibly linguistics, ESL, English and other disciplines. The disadvantage of the positions is a low pay scale. The advantages are low living costs, a location on the banks of one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, Lake Atitlan, a chance to work with kids who are polite, well-behaved and anxious to learn and the opportunity to learn Spanish by daily contact with Spanish speakers. The types of people who would be well suited to our school are primarily young people who adaptable and adventurous and would like the opportunity of broadening their horizons, and the adventure of teaching in a totally different environment, and retired teachers who love to teach and would find teaching our kids a rewarding experience. Some ability in Spanish would be helpful, but is not necessary, as our classes are taught in English. If any of you know anyone who might be interested, please pm me and I will be happy to give you my contact information. For a little more information about the school, you can google Panajachel Colegio Internacional. For info about the area, google Lake Atitlan. Thanks.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I've known Z for years. He's a great guy and a dedicated teacher - and a rabid UConn fan, too boot.

Aw, shucks!
giphy.gif

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You caught me a couple years too late. If I wasn't 29, engaged, and already making decent dough in year 4 I'd have been all over this. You will have no problem finding great teachers for this.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Thanks, DJ. Well, no one is going to get rich working with us, but the scenery, the climate and the people are first rate. And it hasn't snowed here in something over 10,000 years.

Reaction Score
Thanks, DJ. Well, no one is going to get rich working with us, but the scenery, the climate and the people are first rate. And it hasn't snowed here in something over 10,000 years.
News from Central America:
  • Death Storm has shifted course and on it's way to Guatemala.
  • Ice boat sales are up at Lake Atitlan.
  • Panajachel Colegio Internacional Ski Team waxing up their boards.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Im thinking about re-enrolling in school and getting a teaching degree just to hang with Zorro in Guatemala.

Reaction Score
Im thinking about re-enrolling in school and getting a teaching degree just to hang with Zorro in Guatemala.
That would a 2 part mistake:
1. The School does drug screening
2. There are no Arby's within 1200 miles.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Im OK with number 1. 100%

Number 2 could be a major issue.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Im OK with number 1. 100%

Number 2 could be a major issue.
I think the song they played before the games at the AAC tourney was the same as the Arby's theme song. Did not provide the Mojo I had hoped for.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
One more strike and you are OUT!

Reaction Score
One more strike and you are OUT!

I'm of no help, but I will throw in the following to anyone interested in, but nervous about Zorro's opportunity. My sister is an audiologist and went with a medical group a few years ago to Guatemala to do hearing evaluations and fit people for hearing aids. She went because she thought it sounded like a good opportunity to help people and her office in Buffalo helped pay her way and didn't count the time off as vacation. She was so overwhelmed by the experience that she has gone twice more on her own dime and vacation time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have gotten two good responses already. Thanks a lot for letting me post this. Guate is not exactly God's country, but the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly and the living is cheap. Damn good place to retire. We did.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My buddy worked for a relief organization in Guat city in late 80's. We took motorcycles to Atitlan and spent a couple of days there. Truly beautiful. We stayed in Santiago I believe. Also, we took a trip to Puerto Barrios and Livingston. Long bus ride but very interesting. I remember the airplane descent and ascent in and out of Guat city to be extremely steep.

Reaction Score
And now for the second time this week I wish I would have gone to school for teaching instead

Reaction Score
Are there any summer opportunities available internship wise? Also, will you likely be looking again come a year from now for the '18-'19 school year? I am a current senior enrolled in the Neag School of Education

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I visited Lake Atitlan in 1977, it is very beautiful. Also visiting Puerto Barrios and Livingston that same year. Livingston was cool. At that time the only access was via boat, so the town only had a handful of cars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom