Taurasi to sit out 2015 WNBA Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Taurasi to sit out 2015 WNBA Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Taurasi's team is owned by a Russian gazillionaire.

Like a few other gazillionaires in Russia, the team is his hobby.

He's got the cash and doesn't mind losing $5M a year as long as he's winning.
Then why doesn't he show some balls and buy a WNBA team?

j/k

Reaction Score

j/k
Probably his ego is stroked by showing off to his Russian buddies - may not have any buddies in the USA. But guys like Mark Cuban, for instance......? Oprah could buy the whole WNBA 100 times over.

Reaction Score
Probably his ego is stroked by showing off to his Russian buddies - may not have any buddies in the USA. But guys like Mark Cuban, for instance.? Oprah could buy the whole WNBA 100 times over.
The Nets owner is Russian.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I don't like DT's decision, however it is her life. If more players do something similar it hurts the WNBA.
I would like to know why the teams from Russia and Turkey can afford to pay top stars big bucks vs the WNBA.
What are ticket prices in these countries? Who backs the teams financially for them to be able do run with a business model that doesn't seem to be fiscally sound? Are there big TV contracts in these countries?

I was in Australia in November for vacation, and I did watch some games and spoke to people who were at the games who worked for some of the teams. What I was surprised to learn is that not all of the players are compensated with a salary. Many of the non stars work other jobs or continue on with higher education while playing for these teams. The imports, mainly Americans are paid. The top stars are paid. But the average players may only make a small salary, certainly nothing to live on or no salary at all. Their expenses for travel are covered, also uniforms, and if they are injured. I wonder if this is the case in Europe and Asia too.

Reaction Score
With what? Profits?
If DT was handled correctly, good agent/PR/etc, her stateside take should be around 1 million. The Russian pad may be a couple of years $$$ in a off shore bank.
Would be nice to see her shadow GA in her off season and in 5 years retire to the coaching ranks. But she is smart ..just one missed-step on the court and it's all over..!!!
So build up the Piggy bank NOW!!!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Wow. I'm sure DT is doing the best thing for her, and I support her entirely in her decision.

I doubt that DT's absence weakens Phoenix enough to make them a legitimate contender in the #StinkForStewie sweepstakes. But the thought did cross my mind.
I like yours better, but I had #Kablewie4Stewie

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If I remember right the team that DT plays for in Russia was owned by a billionaire who didn't care about losing money. He wanted to win so badly that he would pay anything.
Yes, but he was murdered...that was a different team

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

j/k
Salary cap. Draft. They don't like to deal with stuff like that. They like to do whatever they want.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't like DT's decision, however it is her life. If more players do something similar it hurts the WNBA.
I would like to know why the teams from Russia and Turkey can afford to pay top stars big bucks vs the WNBA.
What are ticket prices in these countries? Who backs the teams financially for them to be able do run with a business model that doesn't seem to be fiscally sound? Are there big TV contracts in these countries?
Read the thread. Most of that has been covered.

Reaction Score
Salary cap. Draft. They don't like to deal with stuff like that. They like to do whatever they want.
Good point. A rich guy couldn't just operate a WNBA team and pay the players more under the current WNBA rules - still have salary cap. He would need to buy the whole league or recruit his rich buddies to buy most of the other teams so they could change the rules.

OK back to reality. IMO the laws of economics (ie. the laws of nature) will ultimately prevail. So the WNBA needs to figure out how to appeal to more fans or they're in real trouble.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Good point. A rich guy couldn't just operate a WNBA team and pay the players more under the current WNBA rules - still have salary cap. He would need to buy the whole league or recruit his rich buddies to buy most of the other teams so they could change the rules.

OK back to reality. IMO the laws of economics (ie. the laws of nature) will ultimately prevail. So the WNBA needs to figure out how to appeal to more fans or they're in real trouble.

Maybe the Laws of Economics are starting to take place. Two players from the top team in Turkey, Galatasaray, have left the team for pay disputes.

I am quoting a brief article because it was in Turkish and needed to be translated.

Galatasaray basketball was added to the final ring Odeabank economic crisis in the Branch.
Yellow - Red team's star name Kelsey Bone was removed from the team. US players with the team on the grounds that the payment of wages was severed ties. Kelsey Bone will fly to the United States this morning.

CUT TO HAVE SANCHO

Galatasaray Odeabank Another important name Sancho Lyttle also decided to leave the same reason the team.

The actual link is here.
http://www.basketdergisi.com/ozel-galatasarayda-kelsey-bone-soku.html

Reaction Score
One factor that came to me as I thought about this is that you have to remember that we're talking about women here. A lot of these women may be married and have husbands with good jobs. They might look at it like a good paying part-time job. They can also use their degrees to get something in the offseason to tide them over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
EDD and Skylar are also motivated by all the promotional money they make back home.
In addition, EDD has a great deal of charity work set up, likes to be able to see her disabled sister regularly and her family is reasonably comfortable.

PS: I still hoist a few at 75
Me too! Oh wait you were talking about shooting a basketball? Uh, never mind.

Reaction Score
UMMC Manager Denies Taurasi Is Being Paid To Not Play In The WNBA

UMMC Ekaterinburg manager Maxim Ryabkov has denied that they are compensating Diana Taurasi the salary she is losing by not playing in the WNBA this season.

When the story broke back in February an ESPN article by Kate Fagan stated that according to sources “The Phoenix Mercury star accepted an offer from UMMC Ekaterinburg, which will pay her more than her 2014 WNBA salary not to play”.

According to the GM of Ekaterinburg, a two year deal she signed with them after 2013/14 season stipulated that she had to rest during either the 2014 or 2015 season for that contract to be guaranteed. So Taurasi is sitting out to guarantee her multi million deal with Ekat rather than because Ekat is offering to pay her more than WNBA to not play.

[LINK] to article.

Reaction Score
She had a choice to sit out the 2014 or 2015 season. "Taurasi chose to sit out 2015 and it's hard to fault her as Phoenix won the title last year and if they falter this year the draft can offer Breanna Stewart as a reward."

Reaction Score
This seems like just semantics to me.
I agree. But, you gotta love it ...SEMANTICS, where both side get to be right. Maybe we should have a little more of that around here. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sorry - just the players I guess. Top-level NCAA coaches would be 'donating' if they coached in the WNBA for that money.

Mulkey is reported to be set to make $1.9 million next season with incentives included. I can't imagine her going to the WNBA to coach at that salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom