Tarris Reed commits! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tarris Reed commits!

Reaction Score
this kid made very little splash at Michigan and wasn't a huge target from others, with some 'limitations' from the media:
Best thing for us.
They clearly see greatness here (so do I) and when they turn him into an even bigger stud, we'll have portal on lock.
Look what they did for....well... everybody.
Get outta here

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMG_3136.gif

Reaction Score
I like that this should allow us to retain Samson and that Reed has 2 years left.

It's a calculated bet on our player development, which obviously has been great, so it's not really that much of a risk. I also like that we're staying humble. Success could have allowed us to pivot our recruiting strategy. We certainly had the cache to get a bigger and/or more proven name, but I feel like it's better to get guys in the portal who are hungry to show who they are, not who are accomplished and just want their monetary reward for past production.

Reaction Score
Whole staff should be indicted if a guy goes to your championship victory parade and doesn’t immediately commit.

They like what they’ve seen from him and think that any red flags were more coaching than skill. He’s also a perfect culture fit- which isn’t everything but is also not nothing.
Another really good kid with great parents, there's a theme with who this staff goes after.

Someone needs to buy him a top of the line saxophone.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
this kid made very little splash at Michigan and wasn't a huge target from others, with some 'limitations' from the media:
Best thing for us.
They clearly see greatness here (so do I) and when they turn him into an even bigger stud, we'll have portal on lock.
Look what they did for....well... everybody.
Get outta here

I'll take a guy who says he values "player development" and chooses the place that he knows is going to make him "uncomfortable" over the guy with slightly better production who's on sale for the highest bidder any day of the week (provided there's something to work with, and Reed was a top-40 recruit and showed flashes at UM, so we know there is).

Reaction Score
We already know Reed's floor and I am looking forward to seeing how this staff helps guide Reed to reach his ceiling.

Enticing upside pickup.
damn right. His floor is pretty high, so the height of his production ceiling is very high. To be able to display the skills under the, let's say less than optimal coaching of Juwan Howard, and the dumpster fire that was Michigan speaks highly of Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
I'll take a guy who says he values "player development" and chooses the place that he knows is going to make him "uncomfortable" over the guy with slightly better production who's on sale for the highest bidder any day of the week (provided there's something to work with, and Reed was a top-40 recruit and showed flashes at UM, so we know there is).
correct. I think the coaching staff at UConn are using a very MoneyBall like approach to roster building. They are not the only ones, but dare I say Hurley and his staff are the best at it.

Reaction Score
I’m excited because our staff was pretty decisive on wanting him and they don’t just go for anyone, he must have checked all the boxes. Imagine him being at the victory parade and dreaming it could be him next year on those floats.

Reaction Score
I think he’ll be a better version of Sanogo due to his rim protection and quick first step. Don’t shoot the messenger!
Better than Sanogo? That is a very high bar. Reed Jr. doesn't have to be better than Sanogo, he just needs to reach his ceiling and that will be more than enough for UConn.

I am pumped about this signing. It will benefit Reed Jr and UConn.

Reaction Score
Rothstein compared him to Alex Oriakhi. I will take that all day long
Body type is pretty comparable. Been a while since I watched Oriakhi tape, but Reed probably faces up and drives more than Oriakhi did. He's like a Kentucky Julius Randle-Alex Oriakhi hybrid, or at least that's the version we hope exists after a year or two more of development.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Rothstein compared him to Alex Oriakhi. I will take that all day long
AO was a load on the block and a great rebounder. This kid seems to be much more advanced on the offensive side

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom