Tarris Reed commits! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tarris Reed commits!

Reaction Score
They show him wearing another player’s number. What gives?

Reaction Score
So so smart to grab Reed quick
We needed a big so badly and this guy looks like he could dominate with advanced development. Love his video. Well look back and I bet he will be the most valuable portal acquisition. Right now Hurley and co are the best brain trust in any sport by a good margin

Reaction Score
You must be assasinated. This is almost as bad as calling the Dayton kid “a more athletic Cam”.
owiuDBi.gif

Reaction Score
Thats what worries me a bit... but hes a 67% FT shooter so already much better than Sam there and has a pretty good stroke. Not looking for him to jack 4 threes a game, just hoping hes a pick and pop threat. I guess we'll see!
Very quick and dirty comp I’m looking at is Josh Oduro. Oduro’s sophomore year he shot 58% from the FT line, 10PPG, 6REB, 20% from 3 on 0.5 attempts per game.

Then his junior year he got up to 70% from the line, 17 PPG, 7.5 REB, and 29% from 3 on just under 2 attempts per game. Granted that was in the A10, but if Reed gave us a stat line like that…

Reed’s sophomore year he was 58% from the FT line, 9 PPG and 7 REB. Made 1/3 threes this year so not really close to the same volume as Oduro, but everything else is pretty spot on.

Reaction Score
First thoughts- this happened so quick that the coaches must have seen something that said that’s our man. I do daily research into the the portal rankings and didn’t see any upper echelon rankings. When you peel the onion he comes from a Michigan program that is going through very tough times and really had little to play for this year. I can’t wait to find the Purdue game against Michigan- that is probably what caught the coaches interest Bottom line unlike others I see him as a starter playing most of the game. His comments are very positive. Can’t wait to see him play. Welcome to Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
Love the add and see the upside here. The assist to turnover ratio concerns me a lot, I mean just the turnovers in general but also the stats show a real lack of passing skill. I am hoping that was more his team than his ability but either way that needs to improve.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love this signing. His comments make clear that he's a guy who is ready to play at UConn. I think Hurley is really on to something with the honest assessment of guys and challenging them to be better. Castle embracing defense and becoming elite at it - who saw that coming? High character kids who fit the system and program.

Reaction Score
His highlights show all layups but why couldn’t he make 12 footers? Hurley will find out his capabilities pretty quick. We have to realize and this is tough for UConn fans that this newly assembled team may not be top 5 and reach its full potential for quite awhile, maybe even Feb.

Our offense doesn't scheme for mid-range shots at all.

Reaction Score
Just think out loud, but what are the chances our staff focused in on Reed when they were watching tape and scouting Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue during the tourney?

Why would you focus on a non-opponent when scouting a game?

Reaction Score
Our quickness and speed at the Five is incredible, and Reed is strong too. My biggest concern was that we didn't have enough muscle in the lineup for next year. This addition gives us muscle, and creates another problem for opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Reed's commit reminds me how far Hurley has come as a coach over the past couple of years. When Clingan committed it was questionable if Hurley was going to be flexible enough to abandon the high hedge defense with a player that didn't fit the mold of playing that way. Hurley had tried to put a square peg in a round hole in previous years by having Josh Carlton high hedge. When Carlton left he anchored the front line of the Houston team that made the final four,.playing closer to the basket which was a better use of his talents. Clearly he was good enough if utilized better. Hurley has stayed with having a high hedge player Whaley/Johnson, but now has adjusted to drop coverage during games when Clingan, (and expecting Reed), are in. Reed seems to offensively have an explosive move to the basket, but my expectations would be for a Josh Carlton impact (Houston version). Reed will be more successful here than Josh, because Hurley is a better coach now IMO. From a raw material standpoint, I think they are comparable.

I'm also reminded that Hurley addressed his move from Rhode Island as exciting because he thought he could recruit better big men here. How is that working out?

Reaction Score
He fits well in Hurley's system. From what I saw in some of the highlight reels, gets good low post position and can go with his left or right.

Solid rebounder, has a motor, doesn't give up on plays.

Saw one nice shot from behind the arc, but it looks like he gets most of his work done in the paint.

Lots of rolls to the rim. Plays solid defense and blocks a lot of shots.

His talent was probably not maximized at Michigan which is why his stats don't jump out at you, but Hurley got his guy and he might be a day one start.

Very nice get. A program guy.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
This guy needs to get back in shape and wait till you see the difference he is a BEAST!!!!
Calhoun style move for Big East Battles.... Eric Hayward, Johnnie Salvie.....

Maybe he looks like more of a beast here because this video is from high school?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom