Tara, Walz, Geno | The Boneyard

Tara, Walz, Geno

Reaction Score
After Louisville's loss to SC, I saw Walz embracing and comforting Engstler, and in the Presser gave her a heartfelt sendoff. I've never seen this side of him before, and must admit to a better appreciation and understanding of his success.

Tara is Tara - one of the all-time greats - and after the loss in which her team played well below potential, and in no small part due to UConn defense, she gave a shout-out to her graduating seniors, especially to Lexie Hull who had uncharacteristically low scoring success and more turnovers. I believe she said she wouldn't trade Lexie for any other player anywhere!

Geno, without a doubt in my mind the GOAT, came a distant 3rd among the three in his post SC Presser. I don't recall hearing any sendoff for Evina, Christyn, or Liv. If for no other reason, he surely knows they have WBB and other pro BB expectations. What positive words did he say for their futures? If I missed it, I'll be ready to apologize. No, I haven't won 11 championships, but as reasonably knowledgeable about human nature, I can't see how this helps future recruiting. While I read CW saying Geno "broke her" (not sure of the context), that surely doesn't help.

Add to it Kara Walters critique, as discussed in another thread, and regardless how right her views might be, how is it helpful to UConn WBB? This is unexpectedly disappointing!

Reaction Score
After Louisville's loss to SC, I saw Walz embracing and comforting Engstler, and in the Presser gave her a heartfelt sendoff. I've never seen this side of him before, and must admit to a better appreciation and understanding of his success.

Tara is Tara - one of the all-time greats - and after the loss in which her team played well below potential, and in no small part due to UConn defense, she gave a shout-out to her graduating seniors, especially to Lexie Hull who had uncharacteristically low scoring success and more turnovers. I believe she said she wouldn't trade Lexie for any other player anywhere!

Geno, without a doubt in my mind the GOAT, came a distant 3rd among the three in his post SC Presser. I don't recall hearing any sendoff for Evina, Christyn, or Liv. If for no other reason, he surely knows they have WBB and other pro BB expectations. What positive words did he say for their futures? If I missed it, I'll be ready to apologize. No, I haven't won 11 championships, but as reasonably knowledgeable about human nature, I can't see how this helps future recruiting. While I read CW saying Geno "broke her" (not sure of the context), that surely doesn't help.

Add to it Kara Walters critique, as discussed in another thread, and regardless how right her views might be, how is it helpful to UConn WBB? This is unexpectedly disappointing!

Or maybe he did behind close doors…. People are just grasping

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Were the others as sick as a dog like Geno was? I'm sure that didn't help his usual engaging style. As for "send-offs:" for players I think what goes on in the locker room and behind the scenes at the Sports complex is more meaningful than any public statements or public displays of affection.

Reaction Score
Love it. Thanks for the thread. I'm up for any bball discussion as it's going to be a long off season.

I thought Geno was actually pretty calm in this presser this year. Last year, I thought he was disappointed and frustrated with the team. I think this year he was more resigned to the fact that SC was the better team.

I will say when Paige said at UConn it's championship or bust, I wish a reporter would've asked Geno if he believes that. It's an honest question. Even on here there r debates about it. In listening to Geno especially when ppl had critiqued the final four losing streak, I'd imagine he'd disagree with Paige. But Geno is the GOAT as you said, we know less than a little about how he truly interacts with his players but they seem to understand him for the most part. Maybe behind closed doors he dispells that notion that this season was a bust

I will say Walz is special as well. Of course Tara is special as she has a million wins. But what Walz has done at Louisville is remarkable. And he's done it with different kids from different backgrounds and different personalities. From Angel to Shoni, to Asia, to Dawn, and now Hailey Van Lith. And watching Hailey Van Lith and Emily talk about what he meant to them was heartwarming.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Personally I don't think that a public press conference after any final game is the appropriate place to speak about departing players. What do expect a coach to say in that environment?
I agree with the behind locker room doors approach.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People are now complaining Geno doesn’t say what they want him to say, when they want him to say it? What’s next? Critique the way he shakes hands? Run commentary on his wardrobe? Geez Louise.

JBK

Reaction Score

We all need motivation, love and appreciation at some point, no matter how tough we are.
Geno probably shows his affection in his own way.

Reaction Score
Were the others as sick as a dog like Geno was? I'm sure that didn't help his usual engaging style. As for "send-offs:" for players I think what goes on in the locker room and behind the scenes at the Sports complex is more meaningful than any public statements or public displays of affection.
I thought that big, long hug Geno gave to Wes Moore at the end of the Elite Eight was most ill advised. Geno actually buried his face in Wes' sweater for a moment. Then when Wes hacked and coughed his way through his post-game presser, all I could think about is whether or not they swap out or sanitize those microphones between teams.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the relationships are between Geno and the players or what he says to them. But, two things seem evident.

1. The players leave happy that they spent their careers at UCONN and proud to be part of the family who promote (and I assume) help with recruiting.

2 Chris Daley

Reaction Score
People are now complaining Geno doesn’t say what they want him to say, when they want him to say it? What’s next? Critique the way he shakes hands? Run commentary on his wardrobe? Geez Louise.
I don't doubt Geno loves his girls and they him. I was focusing on EW, CW, ONO's futures, which after a less than spectacular performance might surely benefit from a public as opposed to a private testimonial. I guess we'll have to wait and see after the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
Geno, without a doubt in my mind the GOAT, came a distant 3rd among the three in his post SC Presser. I don't recall hearing any sendoff for Evina, Christyn, or Liv. If for no other reason, he surely knows they have WBB and other pro BB expectations. What positive words did he say for their futures? If I missed it, I'll be ready to apologize. No, I haven't won 11 championships, but as reasonably knowledgeable about human nature, I can't see how this helps future recruiting. While I read CW saying Geno "broke her" (not sure of the context), that surely doesn't help…
Do you need some ibuprofen? Because I’m sure you stretched a muscle with a reach this big

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So are the endless whining posts on the Boneyard, but there’s nothing I can do about any of them so I guess it’s for the best if I don’t drone on complaining about them.

Reaction Score
No personal attack here but obviously your new to UConn women's basketball and new to Geno's MO. As for the CW comment and not being sure of the context a link should be provided. Speculation is not fair on any forum as many are easily lead to believe it to be gospel.

I don't doubt Geno loves his girls and they him. I was focusing on EW, CW, ONO's futures, which after a less than spectacular performance might surely benefit from a public as opposed to a private testimonial. I guess we'll have to wait and see after the WNBA draft.
Again no personal attack but just what was Geno supposed to say post whipping about the seniors? He would simply sound foolish as three sophomores lead the team.

UConn women are televised as much as any other team and video available to every team at the next level. They can call Geno for personality traits and such but any comment he could have made post game was not needed.

Reaction Score
Geno stuck with these seniors much longer than some other coaches might have, especially given their propensity for having difficulties in big situations.
And he should have. You have three women that are WNBA pros....all who will likely go in the top 30 picks. Was UCONN so deep they could bench first and second round PROS? If he really had that many terrific options, why is everyone now saying he has to hit the portal hard to get immediate help for next year? I am not a big Geno fan...but in this case I am a big supporter.

Reaction Score
Love it. Thanks for the thread. I'm up for any bball discussion as it's going to be a long off season.

I thought Geno was actually pretty calm in this presser this year. Last year, I thought he was disappointed and frustrated with the team. I think this year he was more resigned to the fact that SC was the better team.

I will say when Paige said at UConn it's championship or bust, I wish a reporter would've asked Geno if he believes that. It's an honest question. Even on here there r debates about it. In listening to Geno especially when ppl had critiqued the final four losing streak, I'd imagine he'd disagree with Paige. But Geno is the GOAT as you said, we know less than a little about how he truly interacts with his players but they seem to understand him for the most part. Maybe behind closed doors he dispells that notion that this season was a bust

I will say Walz is special as well. Of course Tara is special as she has a million wins. But what Walz has done at Louisville is remarkable. And he's done it with different kids from different backgrounds and different personalities. From Angel to Shoni, to Asia, to Dawn, and now Hailey Van Lith. And watching Hailey Van Lith and Emily talk about what he meant to them was heartwarming.
I saw a video series on Dana Evans a McD's all american who is a huge Walz supporter. She talks about having to trust him and his process.

When she had to come of the bench as a sophomore...she was not thrilled (playing behind less credentialed players). He was very supportive of her, but said he needed her spark off the bench. Eventually, she became ACC 6th woman of the year and then 2 time ACC player of the year and WNBA pro. Testimonials like Dana's, Hailey Van Lith and EE say something positive about the culture at Louisville.

Reaction Score
...Add to it Kara Walters critique, as discussed in another thread, and regardless how right her views might be, how is it helpful to UConn WBB? This is unexpectedly disappointing!
First of all, as an WBB analyst for SNY, it is not Kara Wolters' job to be "helpful" to UConn WBB! Why is her perspective of our seniors "Disappointing"?--she simply rendered her opinion of players' performance. And your critique of Geno as far as his seniors, I am on the other side of you as well: I think he is too loyal to his seniors at times at the expense of the program.....

Reaction Score
No personal attack here but obviously your new to UConn women's basketball and new to Geno's MO. As for the CW comment and not being sure of the context a link should be provided. Speculation is not fair on any forum as many are easily lead to believe it to be gospel.
I've been a fan and contributor to UConn WBB since 2012, but I am new to the BY. It was not speculation but the CW comment came directly from the Nomdoux thread seen here "Tremendous USA Today editorial praising Christyn & Liv", so respectfully, no speculation! By "context" I referred to CW saying Geno broke her, I wasn't clear in what context or timeline CW meant it. Not a great look from any perspective.
Again no personal attack but just what was Geno supposed to say post whipping about the seniors? He would simply sound foolish as three sophomores lead the team.
How about something like they played their hearts out against 2 #1 ranked teams and came up short tonight; and it's been great knowing these women for 4 (EW 2} years, who have great futures at the next level.

UConn women are televised as much as any other team and video available to every team at the next level. They can call Geno for personality traits and such but any comment he could have made post game was not needed.
Again, respectfully, you miss my point. I care about UConn WBB, and Geno as I've mentioned is the GOAT. But to the extent that any - shall we say - less than flattering look will impact recruiting. Let's not pretend there have not been lean recruiting years, notwithstanding all the great ones. During my time there have been at least 3, when the only top recruits were Senai, Chrystal, and Aubrey. I prefer not to lose any great targets.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A recent back/forth between Christyn and Geno:

Geno: is it hard to play here?
Christyn: yes.
Geno: should I change?
Christyn: no.

I suspect Geno will give honest evaluations of his seniors to any WNBA club that ask.
Exactly what he should do. At the same time...will he try to open some doors for each one?
IMO...absolutely. Exactly what he should do.

Reaction Score

I got the feeling that no matter what Geno does, it will never be enough for some people. If he made a public statement. Folks would say "Oh. He is making it about himself. Those poor girls are going through a lot right now. This should have been done in private." And if he made a comment in private "Oh. He does not have the courage to say anything publicly. What a coward." Folks are never happy.

JBK

Reaction Score
First of all, as an WBB analyst for SNY, it is not Kara Wolters' job to be "helpful" to UConn WBB! Why is her perspective of our seniors "Disappointing"?--she simply rendered her opinion of players' performance. And your critique of Geno as far as his seniors, I am on the other side of you as well: I think he is too loyal to his seniors at times at the expense of the program.....
As a big UCONN fan and supporter, I just wonder about the player development part of the program. With CoVID and the competition becoming so fierce, I hope this is not getting lost.
I am really high on all the assistants and the guards seem to love Morgan, but I am not sure LIv and Chrsityn got much better after 4 years. Maybe LIv learned to shoot that line drive side of the foul line shot - and christyn became a better defender ? But I am not sure. KLS seemed to get mentally down too much in her career and carried over to the WNBA.
The mantra was come to “UCONN” and you will become the best player you can be. Hope we get back to those fundamentals
Hope Aubrey does not go 4 years and never improves her pull up and offensive game.
This staff is capable of anything if it becomes a priority.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Do you really think a WNBA scout is going draft EW, CW, or Ono because Geno sang their praises in a post loss press conference? LOL. Maybe he should bake them some chocolate chip cookies and have a group hug.

Reaction Score
As a big UCONN fan and supporter, I just wonder about the player development part of the program. With CoVID and the competition becoming so fierce, I hope this is not getting lost.
I am really high on all the assistants and the guards seem to love Morgan, but I am not sure LIv and Chrsityn got much better after 4 years. Maybe LIv learned to shoot that line drive side of the foul line shot - and christyn became a better defender ? But I am not sure. KLS seemed to get mentally down too much in her career and carried over to the WNBA.
The mantra was come to “UCONN” and you will become the best player you can be. Hope we get back to those fundamentals
Hope Aubrey does not go 4 years and never improves her pull up and offensive game.
This staff is capable of anything if it becomes a priority.
UConn has made it to 14 consecutive final fours. Talk about a spoiled fan base.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom