Tara really rips into her team | The Boneyard

Tara really rips into her team

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I feel like the headline "VanDerveer livid, calls team out after Baylor loss" is a bit overdone.

Here are the actual quotes from Tara in the article:
  • "The first quarter was very disappointing,” said Hall of Famer and Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer. “We have an extremely young team who is just learning how to play and this early season has been baptism by fire. The better team beat us clearly and we need to learn from this and have a better shot selection.”
  • “We had no answer for Kalani Brown; she pretty much had her way in the paint,” said VanDerveer.
  • On top of failing to take care of Brown, Cox and Wallace, VanDerveer was not impressed by Kaylee Johnson and Alanna Smith getting in early foul trouble and Johnson fouling out early in the second quarter.
  • "Fouling out in 12 minutes is unacceptable,” said VanDerveer. “It really hurts when your two most experienced players get in foul trouble early. We are going to evaluate our starting lineup and look at people and who is going to give us the best chance to do what we need to do.”
  • Overall, Vanderveer was really proud of her young players and the way they battled such an experienced, well coached, big and highly-skilled team saying that this was a very big task for them.
Do we seriously think Geno would be any more generous in talking about a player who fouls out in only 12 minutes?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I feel like the headline "VanDerveer livid, calls team out after Baylor loss" is a bit overdone.

Here are the actual quotes from Tara in the article:
  • "The first quarter was very disappointing,” said Hall of Famer and Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer. “We have an extremely young team who is just learning how to play and this early season has been baptism by fire. The better team beat us clearly and we need to learn from this and have a better shot selection.”
  • “We had no answer for Kalani Brown; she pretty much had her way in the paint,” said VanDerveer.
  • On top of failing to take care of Brown, Cox and Wallace, VanDerveer was not impressed by Kaylee Johnson and Alanna Smith getting in early foul trouble and Johnson fouling out early in the second quarter.
  • "Fouling out in 12 minutes is unacceptable,” said VanDerveer. “It really hurts when your two most experienced players get in foul trouble early. We are going to evaluate our starting lineup and look at people and who is going to give us the best chance to do what we need to do.”
  • Overall, Vanderveer was really proud of her young players and the way they battled such an experienced, well coached, big and highly-skilled team saying that this was a very big task for them.
Do we seriously think Geno would be any more generous in talking about a player who fouls out in only 12 minutes?

Didn’t see the game. Why was a player with even 3 fouls on the floor in order to get #s 4 and 5? Depth that bad? Teaching her a lesson?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Didn’t see the game. Why was a player with even 3 fouls on the floor in order to get #s 4 and 5? Depth that bad? Teaching her a lesson?
I only saw small pieces of the game, and I'm really not sure why. Johnson started the 3rd quarter already with 3 fouls and picked up numbers 4 and 5 within about a minute of each other early in Q3. (The article is wrong in saying she fouled out in the second quarter. She fouled out with 7:31 left in the third quarter.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Enjoyed reading both articles on Stanford & OK. My sense is that both perennial WBB powers are in for long, difficult seasons and Tara & Sherri know it. With tough conference schedules coming up, there is the distinct possibility that neither team will make it to the Big Dance this season.

Both teams will share one other dubious distinction after Dec 19, once the Huskies overwhelm the Sooners, just like they did to the Cardinal in the season opener.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • "Fouling out in 12 minutes is unacceptable,” said VanDerveer. “It really hurts when your two most experienced players get in foul trouble early. We are going to evaluate our starting lineup and look at people and who is going to give us the best chance to do what we need to do.

I dunno, that sounds pretty livid and that she's calling out her team, or at keast certain players.
Legitimately so. But no one said it was unfair. Just that she was pissed.

Reaction Score
some support for her youngins, but not so much for her veterans

Tara VanDerveer keeps it real
This was nothing! No where did I see bodies under buses. No "colorful" wording, no holding one player up before the press afor bad/ ineffective play. She's a piker--with all those wins--she hasn't learned how to properly insult and demean her team in public. Until she learns she may rest in lull of her previous history--a winner.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed reading both articles on Stanford & OK. My sense is that both perennial WBB powers are in for long, difficult seasons and Tara & Sherri know it. With tough conference schedules coming up, there is the distinct possibility that neither team will make it to the Big Dance this season.

Both teams will share one other dubious distinction after Dec 19, once the Huskies overwhelm the Sooners, just like they did to the Cardinal in the season opener.
Two good (probably great in the history of WBB) coaches Tara and Sherri. Good to excellent teams are cyclical for everyone save Geno, recruiting depends on many factors, and for some coaches is a crap shoot. Tara's school has name recognition and nice weather (I loved living in Sunnyvale, Ca)-- I'd like to see both of these women to get back to the FF--, probably not this year for Tara.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I dunno, that sounds pretty livid and that she's calling out her team, or at keast certain players.
Legitimately so. But no one said it was unfair. Just that she was pissed.

Thats about as pissed as I have seen TVD LOL. Last time she even called out players one transferred to Notre Dame because she was told to pass the ball:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You said: "My sense is that both perennial WBB powers are in for long, difficult seasons and Tara & Sherri know it." - When you (Stanford) begin the season with two blowout losses to 2 TOP 5 teams, you know right away what kind of team you have. Especially when those losses are followed up by 2 more losses to top 10 teams.

VanDerveer can rant, rave and stomp her feet all she wants to. This is not their year! The other schools in the Pac-12 have closed the talent gap recently. I seriously doubt that Stanford finishes at the top of the Pac-12, or wins their conference tournament this year. It may get worse before it gets better for the Cardinal. They'll probably make the NCAA tournament on reputation if nothing else, but won't go beyond the 2nd weekend, if that far.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Now if you want to see a coach ripping into her team in the press conference, get a load of this:

Oklahoma women's basketball: Sherri Coale apologizes to fans after 80-61 loss to Florida
I watched the game. As the article states, Oklahoma looked baaadd. I was thinking that if they play like that against UCONN, UCONN's bench may play most of the second half. I have never seen Oklahoma look that bad before. Ortiz played selfishly and the team could not get the ball inside to the big girl.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thats about as pissed as I have seen TVD LOL. Last time she even called out players one transferred to Notre Dame because she was told to pass the ball:)

Utill recently, VanDerveer has been the "Queen Bee" of the Pac-12. She had the best team, finished with the best record, and won their conference tournament every year. A local sports writer once dubbed it "The Stanford Invitational". Well...............that ship has sailed. She's been dethroned. There's a new sheriff in town. Last year, Stanford finished second to Oregon State in the Pac-12. This year, I look for UCLA and Oregon to jump them in conference standings. Stanford may not make the conference finals this year. The gap in talent that Stanford has enjoyed over other conference programs recently has closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Utill recently, VanDerveer has been the "Queen Bee" of the Pac-12. She had the best team, finished with the best record, and won their conference tournament every year. A local sports writer once dubbed it "The Stanford Invitational". Well..that ship has sailed. She's been dethroned. There's a new sheriff in town. Last year, Stanford finished second to Oregon State in the Pac-12. This year, I look for UCLA and Oregon to jump them in conference standings. Stanford may not make the conference finals this year. The gap in talent that Stanford has enjoyed over other conference programs recently has closed.

Hope you are correct Scoop.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Having attended many Stanford games (including last Weds at USF -- San Francisco, not Florida) -- she in a way was verbalizing what many have been saying for a while: that at least 1 or possibly 2 of the starters should not be starting. Neither of the 2 shows a game on offense, and I think we'll see changes to the lineup because the presence of the two essentially puts us in a 10 point deficit in the first quarter every game, and that is NOT a winning strategy.

They may not be super strong this year but have 2 freshmen that could be starters so the future is brighter than the naysayers admit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ouch - taking applications from freshmen to be team leader since nobody else wants to do it.

That seems a little narrow. Walk on's should be considered. Yes. I hate myself. :rolleyes:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
You said: "My sense is that both perennial WBB powers are in for long, difficult seasons and Tara & Sherri know it." - When you (Stanford) begin the season with two blowout losses to 2 TOP 5 teams, you know right away what kind of team you have. Especially when those losses are followed up by 2 more losses to top 10 teams.

VanDerveer can rant, rave and stomp her feet all she wants to. This is not their year! The other schools in the Pac-12 have closed the talent gap recently. I seriously doubt that Stanford finishes at the top of the Pac-12, or wins their conference tournament this year. It may get worse before it gets better for the Cardinal. They'll probably make the NCAA tournament on reputation if nothing else, but won't go beyond the 2nd weekend, if that far.

Um...Tara is not oblivious. She's not complaining that her team is losing. She's complaining about the execution and mental toughness from her experienced players. She knows she has a lot of young players, she knows they've played one of, if not the toughest schedules in the nation so far (UConn, Baylor, OSUx2, NONE of them at home). She knows what kind of team she has. but she continues to have high expectations. That's why she's a great coach.

While there is still a lot of the season left to play, I think it's too soon to predict that Stanford will only make the tournament due to reputation. And as for the PAC 12, as one of the pioneers in the sport, I'd bet Tara is very appreciative of the higher level of competition in conference. It likely prepared them for their surprise Final 4 run last year.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Um...Tara is not oblivious. She's not complaining that her team is losing. She's complaining about the execution and mental toughness from her experienced players. She knows she has a lot of young players, she knows they've played one of, if not the toughest schedules in the nation so far (UConn, Baylor, OSUx2, NONE of them at home). She knows what kind of team she has. but she continues to have high expectations. That's why she's a great coach.

While there is still a lot of the season left to play, I think it's too soon to predict that Stanford will only make the tournament due to reputation. And as for the PAC 12, as one of the pioneers in the sport, I'd bet Tara is very appreciative of the higher level of competition in conference. It likely prepared them for their surprise Final 4 run last year.

You had to go and burst my bubble :mad:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'll agree that it is still early, and to predict tournament invitees at his time is a reach. BUT..............as I write this, the Cardinal is 5-4. They've lost to every ranked team they've played thus far. If they expect to be in the tournament in March, this MUST stop. They are going to have to turn their fortunes around, and quick!! I said that this does not appear to be her year, and her team's record at the moment supports that observation.

I agree with and subscribe to what Bill Parcells said about "records". When was the last time Stanford began a season one game above .500 after 9 games, without a win against a ranked team in 4 tries? I'm not hating on Stanford. I have nothing for or against their program. I'm just sharing an observation.

If any coach can turn water into wine, it's Tara. We'll check back on her in mid February to see how she's doing. We'll know then exactly where her program is, and how much success she's having navigating those stormy seas out west in the Pac-12. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
at least 1 or possibly 2 of the starters should not be starting. Neither of the 2 shows a game on offense,

Hmm...seems like Johnson, Sniezek and Romano are all pretty limited offensively. I don't think either Williams or Wilson are ready to take over as starting PG though. Tara seems to juggle starting lineups throughout the course of a season fairly regularly, so some changes wouldn't be surprising at all. Any word on McPhee returning? I was expecting more from the soph class. Carrington has had a couple nice games. Wilson had one offensive explosion but otherwise not much. Fingall seems to be particularly disappointing so far this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'll agree that it is still early, and to predict tournament invitees at his time is a reach. BUT....as I write this, the Cardinal is 5-4. They've lost to every ranked team they've played thus far. If they expect to be in the tournament in March, this MUST stop. They are going to have to turn their fortunes around, and quick!! I said that this does not appear to be her year, and her team's record at the moment supports that observation.

I agree with and subscribe to what Bill Parcells said about "records". When was the last time Stanford began a season 5-4, without a win against a ranked team in 4 tries? I'm not hating on Stanford. I have nothing for or against their program. I'm just sharing an observation.

If any coach can turn water into wine, it's Tara. We'll check back on her in mid February to see how she's doing. We'll know then exactly where her program is, and how much success she's having navigating those stormy seas out west in the Pac-12. :cool:
Texas started the 2016-17 season with a 2-4 record and still made the tournament as a #3 seed.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I'll agree that it is still early, and to predict tournament invitees at his time is a reach. BUT....as I write this, the Cardinal is 5-4. They've lost to every ranked team they've played thus far. If they expect to be in the tournament in March, this MUST stop. They are going to have to turn their fortunes around, and quick!! I said that this does not appear to be her year, and her team's record at the moment supports that observation.

I agree with and subscribe to what Bill Parcells said about "records". When was the last time Stanford began a season one game above .500 after 9 games, without a win against a ranked team in 4 tries? I'm not hating on Stanford. I have nothing for or against their program. I'm just sharing an observation.

While she is at it, can she turn some wine into water, we are frying out here :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom