Take this with a grain of salt (Sarah Strong...) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Take this with a grain of salt (Sarah Strong...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually a lot of the uniforms through the years by Nike included a star for every National Championship.
FD096C75-4B36-4B35-B0D3-F57B4EBC4631.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nan, you and Kaizen are misreading the context of SEblueblood's post. S/he was responding to a post by Dezoworld in which the latter said "Not only our stars but Azzi and Caroline missed many games". It this appears that in DZW's opinion "our two stars" does not include Azzi and Caroline. So SEblueblood is simply inquiring of DZW, "if Azzi and Caroline are not stars, who besides Paige is." It seems to me that you have misdirected your fire. Perhaps SEblueblood has a track record of not appreciating that s/he is on a UCONN fan board. I wouldn't know one way or the other. However, this post is completely inoffensive, and poses a question that also occurred to me, a diehard Husky fan since the early 1990's.
In SEblueblood s post: They missed Azzi, Caroline and Dorka for periods of time, all very good players, but not yet stars IMO.

Can you explain this?

Reaction Score
If your willing I'll take "she will" star and you take "she won't" star. How about it? How much?

Last year SCar.'s two point guards were both coming off season-ending injuries from 2021/22. Not one pundit or poster (other than myself) thought there was any uncertainty in their return to top form.

LSU will have 2 or even three new starters none of whom have played one minute for LSU. I can't find one national publication that doubts that they will meld into the lineup seamessly. In fact the national experts think they have a super team despite never playing one minute together.

There are very few guarantees in life but we still make decisions based on probability. I don't know if the world will end at midnight. No one does. But I'm still making my mortgage payment this month.
I certainly thought there was uncertainty about our point guards. I thought Raven was still hampered some physically at mid-season but grew stronger physically each game thereafter. Indeed, I don't think either of them had returned to top form skills-wise even by season's end.

Reaction Score
In SEblueblood s post: They missed Azzi, Caroline and Dorka for periods of time, all very good players, but not yet stars IMO.

Can you explain this?
I would say it's all in how an individual defines the word "star."
How many "stars" does a team have?
How many "stars" are there in the country?
Does a "star" have to be an All-American? At least Honorable Mention?
Does a "star" need to be a national leader in scoring? Assists? Rebounds? Multiple categories?s
Is "star" confined to "THE star" of a team (As in: Boston was the star of the Gamecocks. Cook was an excellent player in support)

From an opponent's point of view, an opposing star is a player you fear. Yes, I fear Paige. I didn't fear Dorka or Azzi or Caroline.

There's no doubt about a player on the unquestionable star level of a Paige, who has played superbly and consistently against the best players in the country? (Offensively and defensively). I think Dorka could meet the standard and any player good enough to make a WNBA should be considered a star-in-retrospect. There are questions about Azzi and Carolyn defensively and physically though both a very good shooters - but stars? They both still have some proving to do to those of us who are not primarily UConn fans. (I'm not an anti-UConn except one or maybe two games each year. ;))

Nan, please forgive if I overstep the outsider's line in this UConn board thread but I truly think it's all about personal definition of "star."

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Does a "star" need to be a national leader in scoring? Assists? Rebounds? Multiple categories?s
Is "star" confined to "THE star" of a team (As in: Boston was the star of the Gamecocks. Cook was an excellent player in support)

From an opponent's point of view, an opposing star is a player you fear. Yes, I fear Paige. I didn't fear Dorka or Azzi or Caroline.

There's no doubt about a player on the unquestionable star level of a Paige, who has played superbly and consistently against the best players in the country? (Offensively and defensively). I think Dorka could meet the standard and any player good enough to make a WNBA should be considered a star-in-retrospect. There are questions about Azzi and Carolyn defensively and physically though both a very good shooters - but stars? They both still have some proving to do to those of us who are not primarily UConn fans. (I'm not an anti-UConn except one or maybe two games each year. ;))

Nan, please forgive if I overstep the outsider's line in this UConn board thread but I truly think it's all about personal definition of "star."
Look at the credits for the TV show McHale's Navy after the 45 second mark.
Look at all of the names of the co-stars.
Co-stars are stars made up of the entire cast of the show.
You don't need to like it, just accept it.
All of the UConn players are stars.
The statement by Kaizen was not improper. Others may have mis-understood his definition but that doesn't mean that he's wrong or that you can impose your definition into his post.

First Kaizen said: "UConn has 2 big stars were injured last season. Why nobody want to mention that? We should look for the up coming season not the past season."

Then Dezoworld said, "Not only our 2 stars but Azzi and Caroline missed many games coach list his mother CD fainted like this whole season was weird and not normal"

I think that the critics are being picayune about the generic meaning of stars.
It becomes harassing to impose your definition into their posts.
Everyone is a co-star which is a still a star.
See how Hollywood does it with their credits after the 45 second mark.
Every player on the team is like an actor & is a co-star.
You can differentiate in your post but not to criticize the other posters who had the right idea & made the proper generic use of it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joe Flynn was great in The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You aren't buying that I hope Nan. This gamecock needs a good flagellating in the public square.

Reaction Score

I agree with a lot of this but Azzi is our best perimeter defender. There are most questions about her offense than her defense at this point. I actually think Azzi has bigger star potential than Paige and her 6 games earlier in the season were better than what I saw from Paige over a 6 game stretch, she has just been so injury prone its been frustrating the rest of the country can't see it.

Reaction Score
I certainly thought there was uncertainty about our point guards. I thought Raven was still hampered some physically at mid-season but grew stronger physically each game thereafter. Indeed, I don't think either of them had returned to top form skills-wise even by season's end.
This is exactly what I have been saying. I don't think Paige will be back to her top self skill wise, even if her knee is 100%, until the following season.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I have been saying. I don't think Paige will be back to her top self skill wise, even if her knee is 100%, until the following season.
I can say with great confidence that if healthy, Paige will be an All-American again this coming season most likely fighting it out with her two pals from LSU and Iowa for player of the year......:):)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have to say I don't understand why this would be so. As a freshman Paige demonstrated that she was the best player in the NCAA including great court sense and anticipation. She'll continue practicing and conditioning all summer. Take another year before a 100% Paige shows up? I just don't think so. It's going to be an exciting season.

Reaction Score
Is this just your own mouth opinion or you have any sources to justify your words?

Reaction Score
Is this just your own mouth opinion or you have any sources to justify your words?
Folks are entitled to their own mouths, as well as their own opinions. :D

Actually, @hoopsnloops32 is expressing a reasonable worry. It's not one I share, though it reflects a certain common sense. But I am also unclear why folks use the summer for worrying. This is the time for unbridled optimism. There will plenty of time for us to mourn disappointments once the season begins. We don't need to get a head start on it now.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
that is fascinating ...

but why the hell don't we all wait and see what the future holds.

some folks must enjoy borrowing trouble. myself, i think, who needs trouble?

Reaction Score

Yes. Now go back and read ESN's 2023 preseason writeup. Both players were mentioned as being the answers at pg for 2023. Not a hint that they might not be 100% from Voepel et al. But if you read UConn's pre-season writeup it was all questions. Every sentence ended with a question mark. ESPN put a happy face on every top 25 team in the country but one.
Watch how ESPN makes Bueckers' return problematic while other returning players on other teams will be assumed to be 100%.
UConn will be what they will be with or without ESPN's "goodhousekeeping seal" on their chances but I would like to read less less duplicity from the media.

Reaction Score
Look at the credits for the TV show McHale's Navy after the 45 second mark.
Look at all of the names of the co-stars.
Co-stars are stars made up of the entire cast of the show.
You don't need to like it, just accept it.
All of the UConn players are stars.
The statement by Kaizen was not improper. Others may have mis-understood his definition but that doesn't mean that he's wrong or that you can impose your definition into his post.

First Kaizen said: "UConn has 2 big stars were injured last season. Why nobody want to mention that? We should look for the up coming season not the past season."

Then Dezoworld said, "Not only our 2 stars but Azzi and Caroline missed many games coach list his mother CD fainted like this whole season was weird and not normal"

I think that the critics are being picayune about the generic meaning of stars.
It becomes harassing to impose your definition into their posts.
Everyone is a co-star which is a still a star.
See how Hollywood does it with their credits after the 45 second mark.
Every player on the team is like an actor & is a co-star.
You can differentiate in your post but not to criticize the other posters who had the right idea & made the proper generic use of it.

Thank you @sun ...:)

Reaction Score
All of the UConn players have a star on the back of their uniform which makes all of them stars.
Some are super stars, but they all still start out as stars. Stars are stars every day of the week. :p
...and at night, especially bright!!!:):cool::D

Reaction Score
Yes. Now go back and read ESN's 2023 preseason writeup. Both players were mentioned as being the answers at pg for 2023. Not a hint that they might not be 100% from Voepel et al. But if you read UConn's pre-season writeup it was all questions. Every sentence ended with a question mark. ESPN put a happy face on every top 25 team in the country but one.
Watch how ESPN makes Bueckers' return problematic while other returning players on other teams will be assumed to be 100%.
UConn will be what they will be with or without ESPN's "goodhousekeeping seal" on their chances but I would like to read less less duplicity from the media.
I appreciate your point, and agree.

From the physics perspective, we know what the media is. My prescription is, "read less media, and you get less duplicity as a result."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I heard that Mulkey has offered to share her wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom