Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The shot clock should have reset, but it did not, so when Christyn looked up there was only 2 seconds on the shot clock.
they need a new shot clock guy, another time , the shot clock ( which sounds like the game clock) went off when CW and PB were running up the floor.

Reaction Score
IMO, Williams will start out on Clark but with the Uconn style of switching, everyone will get their turn.
Complete game last night, seemed obvious Ono started out embracing the need to play big. Her 8 rebounds do not do justice to the job she did, her focus on boxing out. The Cuse got 17 offensive rebounds but it seemed to me they had several flurries of multiple ones as opposed to a consistent domination of their offensive boards.

Reaction Score
Just waiting for all the expert ONO bashers to come out to tell us how soft she is. Looks like you'll have to wait at least another game to start bitching about her. She looked like Cardoso really intimidated her.

I thought ONO was excellent tonight. I would never call her soft - I just think that, on offense, she's a much more effective high post player (than low post). She distributes incredibly well and stays very active. She could work on making more shots with contact and powering through on the low post but she is not soft. Her defensive and rebounding effort proves that. She defends very physically and she fights for rebounds (she also has a knack for getting in the right rebounding position - instinct).

Reaction Score
I was so engrossed in watching a very old WWII movie based upon a true story but lots of fiction called "Air Force" that I forgot that the game was on. I started to watch at 8:30 and then the first half ended. However, what I saw, was good UConn basketball. The second half was all UConn for me and just opened up a huge lead to win. I liked that. You could see "defeat" in the eyes of the Syracuse players and a sour puss on the coach. That's when you wipe then out and that's what UConn did.

Kudos to Chris Daly. Great job. I am looking forward to the next game with Iowa. It will be a "Clash of the Titans".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was so engrossed in watching a very old WWII movie based upon a true story but lots of fiction called "Air Force" that I forgot that the game was on. I started to watch at 8:30 and then the first half ended. However, what I saw, was good UConn basketball. The second half was all UConn for me and just opened up a huge lead to win. I liked that. You could see "defeat" in the eyes of the Syracuse players and a sour puss on the coach. That's when you wipe then out and that's what UConn did.

Kudos to Chris Daly. Great job. I am looking forward to the next game with Iowa. It will be a "Clash of the Titans".
Tiana admitted that. UConn just took away their soul

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I thought ONO was excellent tonight. I would never call her soft - I just think that, on offense, she's a much more effective high post player (than low post). She distributes incredibly well and stays very active. She could work on making more shots with contact and powering through on the low post but she is not soft. Her defensive and rebounding effort proves that. She defends very physically and she fights for rebounds (she also has a knack for getting in the right rebounding position - instinct).
Liv is not a natural banger... She likes a little space. If AE reminds you of Wes Unseld, think of Liv as a Ralph Sampson. We've got room for both.

Reaction Score
Started out slow in that 1st quarter but got it going the last 3 quarters. Love the ball movement.

Reaction Score
So, you're not shooting particularly well...how do you get 80-something points.
Break their ineffective zone and turn the game into a lay-up drill.
They must have run that play 10/15 times...always worked
Great coaching to find it, terrible coaching to not adjust.
Also the D was suffocating..14-12-9-12, the last in garbage time
and the kids were still playing good D.

But the next game should be more interesting...Catlin's highlight reel shows that she doesn't have to set her feet; extraordinary internal balancing...no distance too far...
Should be fascinating.
This is a very good post, what amazed me was the contrast of being bewildered by the zone in the first half, with even Paige forcing a couple of shots, to a complete turnaround when they were destroying the zone with layups in the second half. I would be very curious what the discussion and adjustments were at halftime.

Reaction Score
I always pay close attention to those. She had 3-4 that resulted in fouls as Cuse denied layups, so no assist but the team gets FTs and Cuse gets foul trouble. CW missed one in transition that she usually makes (EW and AM missed the open 3s she got them, but you can’t count on those going in). And a few hockey assists, finding players in the teeth of the zone where the next pass was a layup.

There was one they didn’t give her on an ONO bucket when she found her in the middle of the zone uncontested and she dribbled into a layup, but ONO paused to gather before making her move so not a mistake so much as a judgment.

So she had a good passing game that maybe didn’t reflect in the stats. The two turnovers were home run passes that didn’t quite connect this time, but the passes were there - EW didn’t pull a tough one in and AG caught it but too far under the basket and couldn’t keep it alive.
And the one that hit AG on the back of her head. ???

Reaction Score
This was the level of play I wanted to see. I was starting to wonder if they were going to get there.

They put on a passing clinic, Neutralized their big player, and avoided stretches of time where they seemed to be mailing it in as happens against lesser competition.

Would like to see:

CW take over a game. She can do it and she may need to do it. There are times when she is deferring to the Paige show. She needs to stop watching and be more demanding,

I love the way Nica plays and love watching her. But, last night’s starting 5 should be the starting 5 going forward. AE is the second MVP on the team. She should be on the floor as much as possible. She will be a critical part of any success as play in the paint becomes more important against the top teams.

Reaction Score
Why so many questions about Caitlyn? The last one for Aaliyah , are you friends with Caitlyn. Really Stick to the game of bb questions
Yeah the non-basketball questions are annoying. It's why I've said cut down on how much press access there is in general. They've essentially run out of things to talk about. I'm waiting for one of the questions to be "Paige, with the popularity of the color blue, what does it say about you that you've chosen red as your favorite color?"

Reaction Score
Despite not having an outside shot, Aubrey was a lot of fun to watch today. When she first came into the game, I thought she was a little confused and hesitant not knowing where she was supposed to be on the floor, but eventually, things seem to click for her. Great game for AG.

Mir only has one thing on her mind every time she touches the ball, try to score, no matter what, which may be why she is not seeing more playing time.

Other than that, great game by everyone.
I am not sure she is looking to score. One play she was desperately looking for someone to pass to, but she seemed to have no idea where everyone was going, so after a few seconds she just heaved up a 15 footer, and it did not look good. Not her shot.

Reaction Score
This is the game we have been waiting for from Olivia. She absolutely outplayed Syracuse's center, both offensively and defensively. Great game from the entire team. Also, Anna made a three.
Olivia was a force. Great to see her deal with another big, that team was large even with subs. Having Edwards as another player to deal with down low has made a big difference. Loved seeing the short jumpers by Liv. Also loved to see the double sandwich Syr pulled on us for an easy layup under their hoop. Can we use that?

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Syracuse game:
  • Dealing with Cardoso’s size posed a real challenge for UConn. This game reminded me of the Sweet 16 game in 2014 against BYU and Jennifer Hamson, their 6’7” center.
  • UConn started a bit slow but seemed to pick up once Christyn hit a 40’ bank shot with time running out on the shot clock. I’m sure she called “BANK.”
  • Liv really demonstrated tremendous toughness battling Cardoso in the paint and holding her own on the boards. It bodes well for the big matchups to come.
  • Aaliyah continues to introduce herself to the rest of college basketball with authority.
  • I would really like to see Anna get back to being a key contributor and it was great to see her finally knock down a 3, but at this point those minutes should go to Aubrey, who continues to make good things happen every time she enters a game.
  • Not a great game for Paige, but plenty good enough, including some highlight reel dimes.
  • Survive and advance. Every round presents a new challenge. High Point was an undersized, athletic team UConn had to defend all over the court. Syracuse is one of the biggest teams in the tournament and plays a tough 2-3 zone. Next up, the high scoring Iowa Hawkeyes and a dream matchup between the two best freshmen in the country.
I'm not going to dissect the game as you have (very nice). I'm just happy they won and juiced a few oranges.. Onward!

Reaction Score
Olivia was a force. Great to see her deal with another big, that team was large even with subs. Having Edwards as another player to deal with down low has made a big difference. Loved seeing the short jumpers by Liv. Also loved to see the double sandwich Syr pulled on us for an easy layup under their hoop. Can we use that?
Think back to last year when Liv had no backup. She would had to tip toe through this type of game. That is the best complete game I’ve seen from Liv. she wasn’t perfect but she was focused for the entire game. I don’t think she had a WTH Moment the entire game.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Easy to argue that this was ONO's best game of the season: 7-11 shooting from a variety of spots, using what opportuinities the Syracuse D gave her, rather than forcing what wasn't open. Also best job of boxing out from a low and strong base. I'd love to see this as the base level ONO plays at every game. Way to go, Liv.

Reaction Score
Despite not having an outside shot, Aubrey was a lot of fun to watch today. When she first came into the game, I thought she was a little confused and hesitant not knowing where she was supposed to be on the floor, but eventually, things seem to click for her. Great game for AG.

Mir only has one thing on her mind every time she touches the ball, try to score, no matter what, which may be why she is not seeing more playing time.

Other than that, great game by everyone.
Not

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom