Syracuse Orange | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, I'm pretty sure Darryl Gross was a hire to try to address the football side of things, the University has already made upgrades to the dome turf, locker rooms, and I think more are being planned. We also wouldn't be moving to the ACC if we were content on just being a "basketball school."
Au contraire, that's exactly the reason for the move. The ACC is a hoops first & foremost conference, much to the chagrin of FSU & Clemson.

Reaction Score
Au contraire, that's exactly the reason for the move. The ACC is a hoops first & foremost conference, much to the chagrin of FSU & Clemson.

Welp, I'm convinced.

Reaction Score
If Gross was selected to address the football side of things, he really should be fired based on his performance to date. And I'm not so sure about the ACC move. If you read some comments both from the northeast and from ACC country, that move was about strengthening ACC basketball which has really fallen off relative to the Big East and the Big 10. And lets face it, if you are making a football move, neither Syracuse nor Pitt have exactly been dominant programs in the recent past. Pitt has had some solid teams, but Syracuse has struggled for pretty near a decade now.

Reaction Score
That SU cares about football is besides the point. Whether they can compete at a level that maintains a meaningful level of interest is the heart of the matter and the jury is out on that. And the ACC will help with that, but it's by no means a magic elixer.

Reaction Score
if both bc and cuse have brutal years(i think its possible for each), could both coaches get the can? if so if will be funny to watch all the northeast kids look around again after picking over us once. if we just have a good year i will take enjoyment in all those recruits watching us rise while there private schools fall apart.

The last thing anyone should want is Syracuse and/or BCU being so bad that their coaches get canned. What happens if they go out and make a great hire and get someone who will instill excitement into the program. I'm sure that UNC haters were thrill when Dean Smith retired, and Matt D took over and the program was down. Finally, the rest of the conference had them right were they wanted them. That was until they "fired the coach" and brought in Roy Williams from Kansas. The rest was immediately history.

Reaction Score
**** Syracuse I hope their slow death continues and is only accelerated ala BC by going to the ACC.

Reaction Score
**** Syracuse I hope their slow death continues and is only accelerated ala BC by going to the ACC.

You should be more concerned about your own school...and finding a legitimate conference.

Reaction Score
Current recruits were in 6th grade the last time Syracuse beat UConn. Think about that for a moment.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You should be more concerned about your own school...and finding a legitimate conference.

Because cashing checks from your conference is more important than on field results. Right.

Reaction Score
Because cashing checks from your conference is more important than on field results. Right.
Yes...because if the ACC called UCONN today, in fact right this minute, you'd refuse to answer the phone...what with all your principles and all.
Right. :rolleyes:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Syracuse and Pitt had not panicked and left for the ACC less than a year ago, the entire Big East would be on track for a mega contract of at least $20MM per football school.

Reaction Score
If Syracuse and Pitt had not panicked and left for the ACC less than a year ago, the entire Big East would be on track for a mega contract of at least $20MM per football school.

Would the Big East expand out West if they had not faced turmoil? Unlikely IMO.

New commishioner?

Did the Big East need to face extinction in order to pull its head out of its ass?

Reaction Score
Metsfan, I would have taken the option retaining Marinate and keeping SyraPitt, WVU, and TCU in the BE with the high probability of adding one or both of Houston or UCF over where the BE is today. And yes, sadly, the BE did need to get to the brink of extinction A SECOND TIME to finally pull its head out of its arse.

Reaction Score
Metsfan, I would have taken the option retaining Marinate and keeping SyraPitt, WVU, and TCU in the BE with the high probability of adding one or both of Houston or UCF over where the BE is today. And yes, sadly, the BE did need to get to the brink of extinction A SECOND TIME to finally pull its head out of its arse.
The Fruit & Pitt getting out of Dodge was the lynchpin for all musical chairs in the last 11 months. While it would have been interesting to postulate what would have happened had they not decided to pack up & leave, it might not have turned out much differently. Once aTm & Missouri packed off for the ACC, TCU was ripe for the picking by the Big 12. Oliver Luck & West Virginia would still have gone rogue when given the opportunity, so the mass defections would still have happened, just in reverse order. Or not.

Reaction Score
The Fruit & Pitt getting out of Dodge was the lynchpin for all musical chairs in the last 11 months. While it would have been interesting to postulate what would have happened had they not decided to pack up & leave, it might not have turned out much differently. Once aTm & Missouri packed off for the ACC, TCU was ripe for the picking by the Big 12. Oliver Luck & West Virginia would still have gone rogue when given the opportunity, so the mass defections would still have happened, just in reverse order. Or not.

I tend to agree with this. Even if Pitt and Cuse had not left, TCU and WVU would probably be in the Big 12. The Big 12 was going to expand even if the ACC did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom