"Symbol of might to the foe" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Symbol of might to the foe"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
By the way, what does everyone think of this commercial? I’m kind of meh on it. When I mentioned that to my wife she looked at me and said “well it’s better than “great pick.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
By the way, what does everyone think of this commercial? I’m kind of meh on it. When I mentioned that to my wife she looked at me and said “well it’s better than “great pick.”
I kind of agree with both of you. Maybe if they put the jalapeno bacon mac-n-cheese kid in one the Brady Bunch-style boxes at the end it would add a little zip.

Reaction Score
The only bad part about the song is “Connecticut U”
It has to rhyme with "blue".

Unless you want to find a different lyric to rhyme with "Connecticut".

Reaction Score

UConn Husky

UConn Husky, symbol of might to the foe.
Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go
Connecticut UConn Husky, victr’y again for the White and Blue
So go, go, go Connecticut, Connecticut U. Fight!
C-O-N-N-E-C-T-I C-U-T. Connecticut,
Connecticut Husky,
Connecticut Husky, Connecticut C-O-N-N-U. Fight! (repeat)

This isn't exactly as I remember it, but my memory isn't exactly as I remember it, either.
As a student I remember learning it as

UConn husky; symbol of might to the foe
Fight fight Connecticut, it’s Vic’try let’s go
UConn husky; do it again for the white and blue
Go go go go Connecticut; Connecticut U

Because we would sing it before and after every single sport event. Truly a great fight song

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... the teacher-looking woman emphasizes the "Symbol of might to the foe" line, which is definitely one I didn't recall. Great line.
One could surely sandwich that line in the middle of a Haiku.

Perhaps [a different time] in which the singer needed to distinguish a "Connecticut UConn Husky" from a Y-u-k-o-n husky?

My first live game was quite possibly the first time I ever heard the sound of where I was going. I knew there was such a thing as "Yukon," but didn't know where or what was, other than cold & icy.

After probably the longest nighttime car ride I'd ever taken on a school night, we went for a long time after passing through downtown Hartford. The roads were mostly dark and rural, before I had such a word, years before I-84. The walk from the parking lot to the Field House felt like the longest such walk I'd ever taken, and along the way, there were snow piles and rising steam from beneath the paved surfaces, before we entered my first building with a dirt floor that wasn't a barn. For all I could comprehend at such a young age, it could have been THE "Yukon."

I'm sure that whatever question I asked in search of clarity brought a chuckle to my dad and his two friends.

Reaction Score
I must have sung that song a thousand times in Storrs.
Like the joke about the guy visiting Boston who was told to try the local fish scrod while there, he gets in a cab and asks the driver, "do you know where I can get scrod around here?"
The driver replies- "I must have been asked that question a thousand times but never before in the pluperfect subjunctive."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Speaking of that "symbol", my daughter stuffed 8 of them the other day at a Northeastern U "build a Husky" event. Guess it is good that we got 8 free stuffed huskies for our $80k a year. Only $10k each! One will be for me, and it will be properly adorned in blue and white, not red and black.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, the first time I looked at a tuition bill I was like is that for all four years? Well I guess that’s not too bad… Oh it’s just the first year…

Reaction Score
As a student I remember learning it as

UConn husky; symbol of might to the foe
Fight fight Connecticut, it’s Vic’try let’s go
UConn husky; do it again for the white and blue
Go go go go Connecticut; Connecticut U

Because we would sing it before and after every single sport event. Truly a great fight song
The version I was taught went:

UConn Husky, a symbol of might to the foe.
Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go (Let's go!)
Connecticut UConn Husky, do it again for the White and Blue
So go, fight, go, fight, go, fight, go Connecticut, Connecticut U. Spell it!
Connecticut Husky,
Connecticut Husky, Connecticut C-O-N-N-U. Fight!

(Red text denotes deviations from the originally posted lyrics.)

Reaction Score
The version I was taught went:

UConn Husky, a symbol of might to the foe.
Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go (Let's go!)
Connecticut UConn Husky, do it again for the White and Blue
So go, fight, go, fight, go, fight, go Connecticut, Connecticut U. Spell it!
Connecticut Husky,
Connecticut Husky, Connecticut C-O-N-N-U. Fight!

(Red text denotes deviations from the originally posted lyrics.)
Yeah we in the student section would have a back and forth with “go” and “fight” but the “fight” wasn’t essential

Never remembered a “spell it” nor “a symbol”

I feel like I remember the lyrics up on the big screens at the dozens of games I had been to

Reaction Score
Yeah we in the student section would have a back and forth with “go” and “fight” but the “fight” wasn’t essential

Never remembered a “spell it” nor “a symbol”

I feel like I remember the lyrics up on the big screens at the dozens of games I had been to
Thinking back on it the "a" preceding "symbol" might have been inserted by me. I and other cheerleaders definitely said "spell it", but it could have been invented by one of us and thus stayed contained in our group.

Reaction Score
Thinking back on it the "a" preceding "symbol" might have been inserted by me. I and other cheerleaders definitely said "spell it", but it could have been invented by one of us and thus stayed contained in our group.
I can see cheerleaders adding in “spell it” to engage the crowd

Congrats on the sex btw

Reaction Score
Embarrassed to admit that I never memorized the words to the UConn Fight Song, but I am liking the UConn commercial they're showing during our games where they sing part of it, and the teacher-looking woman emphasizes the "Symbol of might to the foe" line, which is definitely one I didn't recall. Great line.
I guess I'm stuck on how you a) never memorized the words and b) are just pondering the first line of the song? I mean, the part you like is literally two words in. Weak sauce, amigo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess I'm stuck on how you a) never memorized the words and b) are just pondering the first line of the song? I mean, the part you like is literally two words in. Weak sauce, amigo.
I wasn’t in the band, a cheerleader, part of any spirit group or fraternity, etc. so I never had to memorize it. I was just a drunk kid attending games. I would yell “Connecticut UConn Huskies” and hum, laugh, chortle and scream nonsense for the rest.

Reaction Score
They played this over a PA to wake us up at orientation the second day. So much kool-aid those two days.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t in the band, a cheerleader, part of any spirit group or fraternity, etc. so I never had to memorize it. I was just a drunk kid attending games. I would yell “Connecticut UConn Huskies” and hum, laugh, chortle and scream nonsense for the rest.
I don't know. I wasn't in the band, a cheerleader or in any spirit group either and I know every word to it. I kinda thought most fans did and would be interested in a poll.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know. I wasn't in the band, a cheerleader or in any spirit group either and I know every word to it. I kinda thought most fans did and would be interested in a poll.
You should do one then.

I am impressed that you know it as a non-alum. Perhaps it’s yet another character flaw of mine, but I guess I never cared enough to learn it despite having it played and sung in my presence hundreds of times. My mind must have been elsewhere.

The reason the commercial got my attention is because the professor who sings that line articulates it very precisely, as if to make a point.

Which got me to thinking that the new Husky logo is definitely a much better symbol of might to the foe than any of its predecessors, as much as I liked them.

Reaction Score
If you were in the marching band, you sang it in your sleep. Sang or played it maybe a 1000 times just as a student.

As an adult, I have sung it at Final Fours as well.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
One could surely sandwich that line in the middle of a Haiku.

My first live game was quite possibly the first time I ever heard the sound of where I was going. I knew there was such a thing as "UConn," but didn't know where or what was, other than cold & icy.

After probably the longest nighttime car ride I'd ever taken on a school night, we went for a long time after passing through downtown Hartford. The roads were mostly dark and rural, before I had such a word, years before I-84. The walk from the parking lot to the Field House felt like the longest such walk I'd ever taken, and along the way, there were snow piles and rising steam from beneath the paved surfaces, before we entered my first building with a dirt floor that wasn't a barn. For all I could comprehend at such a young age, it could have been THE "UConn."

I'm sure that whatever question I asked in search of clarity brought a chuckle to my dad and his two friends.
Interesting that both times I wrote Y-U-K-O-N, it was 'corrected.' It makes my post semi-nonsensical, but, oh well, and now I know how it's supposed to be done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom